Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Psst! You only started John Grisham after 6th class.:P I read the Runaway Jury in 4th class and was well into James Patterson and Jeffery Deaver by 6th, reading the odd Kathy Reich's and was reading a bit of Ludlum as well but that got a bit boring!:p In the last year of so it has been Harlen Cohen and Michael Connelly.

I was a late bloomer when it can to airport fiction :D

Read "Mo Hayder-Tokyo"! It's........er........fun......

Never had a particularly predictable taste up until recently.

Grisham 6th class summer.
    SAS/Marine-y books I got off my dad 1st/2nd.
    Didnt read much in 4th year.
    Pratchett 5th/6th year.

Much the same now, philosophy stuff too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Fad wrote: »
    I was a late bloomer when it can to airport fiction :D

Read "Mo Hayder-Tokyo"! It's........er........fun......

Never had a particularly predictable taste up until recently.

Grisham 6th class summer.
    SAS/Marine-y books I got off my dad 1st/2nd.
    Didnt read much in 4th year.
    Pratchett 5th/6th year.

Much the same now, philosophy stuff too.
    The Devil of Nanking (Tokyo)

There are some novels that infect the brain and never let go…….. Hayder writes of past and present horrors with beautifully understated prose, made more so by Grey's innocence in the face of mounting evil. The Devil of Nanking is brilliant, haunting and scary as hell - a book not soon forgotten. Baltimore Sun

Dazzling....... exceedingly creepy. The diabolically gifted British author spins a fascinating mystery from the legacy of Japanese atrocities during World War II. Entertainment Weekly EW Grade: A

'The Devil of Nanking" is such a perfectly sinister novel that doubt creeps in as one reads it. Can Mo Hayder pull it off? ........Hayder creates such a threatening environment that when the novel gains its strength, every page evokes a shudder. And yes, she pulls it off. "The Devil of Nanking" ends as it begins - which is to say it's a thoroughly satisfying thriller. New York Daily News

"The Devil of Nanking" is the kind of novel that invites excessive praise. It is beautifully written and often fascinating, and it has a powerful historical hook. Washington Post
    Sounds interestiing, might give it a try at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Ah I remember Alex Rider books, read them in 6th class, so 6 and a half years ago?

They were good :)

Then I started reading John Grisham books (Spent a good chunk of that summer doing that!)

Hah exact same. The books were great at the time. My favourite ones were always the darren shan series though. Loved them!

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Sounds interestiing, might give it a try at some stage

Forgot about your age, yeah it might be a bit grizzly.......

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Read a little short story just now when I should have been studying called:
    ''I want to scream but I have no mouth''. It's only 10 pages long and can easily be found on the net. Not for you younger C+Hers :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

atm i'm reading jeremy clarksons newest one, can't remember the name, but its fairly sh!te, not as funny as they used to be . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I finished Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe at the weekend. It was brilliant :) Reading some Sylvia Plath poetry at the moment <3 and Paradise by Abdulrazak Gurnah for college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Started The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

According to my cruel friend who gave me the book the last word is "nnnnnnnnnnnnnnn".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

The Bookseller of Kabul for English,and Wuthering Heights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Read a little short story just now when I should have been studying called:
    ''I want to scream but I have no mouth''. It's only 10 pages long and can easily be found on the net. Not for you younger C+Hers :p

By Harlan Ellison? Fantastic story, absolutely brilliant. I love that story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Started The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

According to my cruel friend who gave me the book the last word is "nnnnnnnnnnnnnnn".
    That book is unreal, it really makes you think about life. And iirc, I think your friend is messing about the end :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

My dad has been teaching himself Spanish for the last two years and I was reading one of his Spanish short story books recently(There's an English translation of each story) and I came across one called Walimai by Isabel Allende. It's really really good! Anyway turns out it's actually on the internet as well for anyone who's interested...

Walimai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I stupidly left on the bus a collection of stories which I need to write my English essay on. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce and Sigmund Freud's "Interpretation of dreams". ;)

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Corkfeen wrote: »
    A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce and Sigmund Freud's "Interpretation of dreams". ;)

God awful book. Couldn't even finish it, and I finish everything I begin reading usually!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    God awful book. Couldn't even finish it, and I finish everything I begin reading usually!

Ditto. Couldn't make myself finish reading it for college, couldn't get into it for my own enjoyment over the summer either. It remains on my "To do" list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

D4RK ONION wrote: »

I'm enjoying it, Ulysses is supposed to be a bit of an extreme read that doesn't make much sense by the end of it. Actually anyone else read "A Clockwork Orange" its one of the oddest books to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I'm reading Werewolf:The forsaken as an ebook,bonus points to anyone who knows it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I'm reading J.D Salinger - The Catcher In The Rye. I saw it today just dumped in some corner at a bookshop and said I'd see what all the hype is about. So far I'm not too impressed, to be honest, but it's early days yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Just started the Lovely Bones, dunno how I feel about it really though. The start of it's a bit disturbing for my tastes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

I'm almost finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I liked, but the ending seems to go on a lot longer than it needs to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Danny Wallace's Yes Man. Quite amusing.

I started reading 1984 again, because it's my favourite book of all time, like, ever?

Then yesterday in the library, I decided to get a collection of George Orwell's letters, essays and articles. He's a fantastic writer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

Jay P wrote: »
    I started reading 1984 again, because it's my favourite book of all time, like, ever?

Then yesterday in the library, I decided to get a collection of George Orwell's letters, essays and articles. He's a fantastic writer.
    My Dad has all those letters and essays, I've always meant to read them.

Actually anyone else read "A Clockwork Orange" its one of the oddest books to read.

Loved it, did not enjoy the film at all.
    Xx_emma_xX wrote: »
    I'm reading J.D Salinger - The Catcher In The Rye. I saw it today just dumped in some corner at a bookshop and said I'd see what all the hype is about. So far I'm not too impressed, to be honest, but it's early days yet.

Depends what age you are, it's one of those books that to properly relate to the main character, you have to be around 14/15 when you first read it.

I'm enjoying it, Ulysses is supposed to be a bit of an extreme read that doesn't make much sense by the end of it. Actually anyone else read "A Clockwork Orange" its one of the oddest books to read.

I love it. It's hard to get into, but it's great once you do. I saw the movie shortly after I saw it and I was really disappointed with it...

Jay P wrote: »
    I love it. It's hard to get into, but it's great once you do. I saw the movie shortly after I saw it and I was really disappointed with it...

What annoys me about it is how it's claimed to be one of the greatest movies of all time. It is NOTHING compared to the source material!

I'll concede that it is stylistically impressive, but I dont think it has aged well at all. Meh, I probably had too high an expectation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I have a backlog of 9 books to read :p

What annoys me about it is how it's claimed to be one of the greatest movies of all time. It is NOTHING compared to the source material!

I'll concede that it is stylistically impressive, but I dont think it has aged well at all. Meh, I probably had too high an expectation.

That's pretty much exactly what I thought. Loads of people I know recommended it, so I bought it (I wanted to see it anyway after I had read the book), and it was such a let-down, much more so than movie adaptations usually are.
    It bored me tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Depends what age you are, it's one of those books that to properly relate to the main character, you have to be around 14/15 when you first read it.

Well, I'm 14.I haven't really given it a chance yet, I'll let you know how I get on.

Advertisement