Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Double post but anyway...scratch what I said. The Catcher in the Rye is actually fairly good once you get used to 'goddam' appearing in every second sentence. It's not like one of my favourite books ever but it was worth reading. I could sort of relate to the main character, like feeling so alone when surrounded by so many people but yeah, good enough book...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Xx_emma_xX wrote: »
    The Catcher in the Rye.

Started reading this again Tuesday night. I read it back way back when (in 6th Year lol) and enjoyed it, but never fully appreciated it. I'm enjoying it more this time around.

Also, finished The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath on Sunday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Love The Bell Jar. I find something new to appreciate about it every time I read it. Only read it a month or so ago, but I'm tempted to re-read it now!

Currently re-reading The Lovely Bones, planning to see the film soon hopefully. I don't know why I always make myself see the film version of a book, I'm usually horribly disappointed. Apparently Saoirse Ronan's excellent in it though, and I usually trust Peter Jackson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I started reading 'The Catcher In The Rye' a couple of weeks ago as part of my course. Unfortunately it's now one of the many books that I've started to read in the last few months only to put it down after twenty pages or so. The library in college is just so full of books I've been wanting read for ages that my crap attention span has consistently prevented me from finishing books. In saying that, I picked up a brilliant book called 'A Story and its Writer: An Introduction to Short Fiction' that contains several quite brilliant short stories (that I can finish!). Alas, it's fecking huge (1000+ pages) so I couldn't bring it home with me.

Along with 'Yes Man', I'm reading Richard Ford's 'The Sportswriter'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

A+Brief+History+of+Time.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Started Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas the other night. It's.....different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Love The Bell Jar. I find something new to appreciate about it every time I read it. Only read it a month or so ago, but I'm tempted to re-read it now!

So true, The Bell Jar is my favourite book ever. I want to read it now, but it's at home argh.

Started reading Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi yesterday. It's really good so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I just re-read The Perks of Being a Wallflower. That, and Catcher, are books you have to read when you're 14.

Next up, Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

6a00c22528d9fa549d011015fa4fc6860b-500pi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Just finished "The Green Fool - Patrick Kavanagh" for the second time, lovely book.

I now have a choice between:

Fear%20and%20Loathing%20in%20Las%20Vegas.jpg

and

Book_CatcherInTheRye.jpg

Decide for me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Paul the same copy of "Fear and Loathing"'s on my bedside locker....
    Good book although Catcher is my favourite book ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Craguls wrote: »
    Paul the same copy of "Fear and Loathing"'s on my bedside locker....
    Good book although Catcher is my favourite book ever.

You're no help :p
    I'll have to flip a coin I think, they'll both be read at some stage anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

A+Brief+History+of+Time.jpg
    I gotta read that, seriously! I've read a few exerpts from it and it was savage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

I finished Crime And Punishment by Dostoyevsky yesterday, not sure what I can say! It's a classic for a reason :cool:

Going back and forth between different philosophic texts until I buy another Dostoyevsky novel :)

A lot of yis seem to be reading/have read Catcher In The Rye? My mate is reading it at the moment, not sure wether I should ask for a lend of it in the future or not :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

If I can find it(I'm hopeless and lose everything...),I'm going to re read A Prayer For Owen Meany. Love that book. <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

A lot of yis seem to be reading/have read Catcher In The Rye? My mate is reading it at the moment, not sure wether I should ask for a lend of it in the future or not :pac:

It's a great book, and I really wasn't expecting it to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I read The Catcher in the Rye a couple of years ago, and was thoroughly underwhelmed. I must go back to it to try and do it justice.

Reading The Picture of Dorian Gray, because it was cheap (€5) yet suitably pretentious.

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I read The Catcher in the Rye a couple of years ago, and was thoroughly underwhelmed. I must go back to it to try and do it justice.

Reading The Picture of Dorian Gray, because it was cheap (€5) yet suitably pretentious.

I disliked The Catcher In The Rye, and I really, really thought I'd enjoy it.
    As for Dorian Gray, love it. One of the first books I ever read. :) And it is rather pretentious, actually. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I just finished The Princess Bride, its such a lovely book. I love the sense of humour in it. I really love it. I'm not really sure what to read next, I'm thinking Wolf Hall, I have it and it just won the Man Booker prize so I might as well. I've heard good things about it

Catcher in the Rye seems to be a bit hit-and-miss, from what I've heard of people's reactions.

I was hoping myself that I didn't sound too pretentious in my post on the last page. How did I do? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

'Belonging to the two Berlins' - An Ethnography done on people who lived during the cold war.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That was my exact reaction when I first read it. Luckily enough, I picked up a copy of it recently and finished reading for the second time last week. It's actually brilliant. The style, the in-your-face subtlelty (yup, there's an oxymoron for ye...), the energy in the narrative, it's amazing.

As for this week, well, I'm almost half-way through American Psycho (thanks to all the recommendations in this thread.) Loving it.

As for this week, well, I'm almost half-way through American Psycho (thanks to all the recommendations in this thread.) Loving it.

I couldn't get through American Psycho. It was like reading one of those fashion magazines at times, and it drove me slightly crazy, despite my best efforts. :o I'm sure it's really good but the label dropping is irritating...

Yeah, I know it's a really silly reason for not reading a book/I'm way too critical of peoples' writing. And? :p

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

One of my favourite excerpts of all time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

D4RK ONION wrote: »

One of my favourite excerpts of all time...

Watched that last week again.

Always good to see John Green's face on the internet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Reading the Constitution. Again. Eugh.

And some fantasy book by some lad, something Abraham, which is... passable, and a biography of Caesar which is pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I finished Crime And Punishment by Dostoyevsky yesterday, not sure what I can say! It's a classic for a reason :cool:

Going back and forth between different philosophic texts until I buy another Dostoyevsky novel :)

It's a brilliant novel. I read The Idiot afterwards, it not very philosophic but quite enjoyable.

Currently reading Nineteen Eighty-Four. It's amazing so far. Finished Animal Farm last week, another classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'm reading The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie. Wanted to read it because of all the controversy it caused (blasphemy, death threats and what have you...) But so far, it's all a bit meh. A lot stranger than I thought it would be, but not in a good way.
    I'll definitely read it to the end though, because I've resolved to never give up on a book again, but it will probably take me a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fleeflyfloflum

I'm less than 1/2 way through the rather large Count of Monte Cristo and Im really enjoying it. It's a real 'shtory' in the old fashioned sense of the word I think - escaping prison, treasure, and all the elements after.

One of the best books I've read so far.

• Advertisement

Monzo wrote: »
    It's a brilliant novel. I read The Idiot afterwards, it not very philosophic but quite enjoyable.

Currently reading Nineteen Eighty-Four. It's amazing so far. Finished Animal Farm last week, another classic.

I agree with ye on Crime And Punishment! I'm thinking of picking up The Brothers Karamazov next :) About to settle in 1984 myself, got a lend of my friends copy :)

Advertisement