Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Planning to start Jane Eyre soon. Haven't read it in years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Nearly finished "Youth in Revolt", didn't expect it to be so strange. I thought American Psycho was a crazy book but this is odd in its own special way:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Planning to start Jane Eyre soon. Haven't read it in years!

Why would you choose to read that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Jay P wrote: »

The ten year old version of myself enjoyed it.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Mostly Tacitus 'The Annals' Tacitus is an ancient Historian chroniclling the lives of the Emperors Augustus, Tiberius, Nero, Claudius, Caligula et al. Pretty decent but not the best. It's for a college assignment. :pac:

Also 'Eye of the Storm' about the Author Peter Ratcliffe's 25 years in the SAS (Special Air Service) Britians Elite Special Forces regiment. So far it's good: I'm obsessed with the SAS!

• Advertisement

The ten year old version of myself enjoyed it.:o

Sorry, I've just got awful memories from studying it for the Leaving Cert last year...

I got Romeo & Julliet from the library, so I'm really looking forward to getting into that.
    Also, I just finished To Kill A Mockingbird for the first time a few weeks ago. Where has it been all my life?! Excellent book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

I love Jayne Eyre....it's one of my favourite books!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I'm reading The Poor Mouth by Flann O'Brien. It's really funny! That, or I have a strange sense of humour.

I'm going to read Crash by JG Ballard next, or I might read The Bell Jar for the thousandth time <3

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

Just finished 'Stuff White People Like' by Christian Lander while wearing a vintage t-shirt, downloading Arcade Fire to my Apple I-pod and drinking ethically sourced coffee...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

FredBaby! wrote: »
    Just finished 'Stuff White People Like' by Christian Lander while wearing a vintage t-shirt, downloading Arcade Fire to my Apple I-pod and drinking ethically sourced coffee...

I assume you've posted this to your twitter account already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Home by Marilyn Robinson (I'd never heard of her but seemingly she has decent form) it's a bit dull so far but there are signs of promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Been reading Dr. Faustus by Marlowe, Twelfth Night by Shakey Spears and The Faerie Queene by Spenser- one thing I love about my course is all the stuff I've been introduced in the last year, we've got to read so much and it was great. That's assuming you're a 'lurk' like me and you actually read and enjoy what's on your reading list, as opposed to "man havint even red da first page cudnt make cense of it like it was usin words wtf dis is not wah i signed up for i wantid english nd neyoooh mediaaah".

In fact the major thing that pisses me off in university is just how dumbed down everything is. It's still secondary school except it's even more frustrating if you're not retarded like 90% of the people around you, making the tutorials such a waste of time.

TL;DR = Egg head loves his booky-wook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

In fact the major thing that pisses me off in university is just how dumbed down everything is. It's still secondary school except it's even more frustrating if you're not retarded like 90% of the people around you, making the tutorials such a waste of time.

Leaving Cert. ordinary level calculus is what we're doing in our Maths lectures.
    At least I assume it is, I stopped attending long ago, just go to the tutorials when I can to make sure I remember the stuff (and asking the girl beside me when I inevitably realise that I don't).
    And of course there's the people who signed up for the course because "i i luv bebo nd facebook lolz so im exulunt wit computars nd wil b able 2 program no boder".

Next year it's supposed to get a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

I have absolutely nothing to read, and I hate it.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Finshed 1984. One of the best books I've read. I've now started The Butcher Boy by Patrick McCabe - hopefully I'll enjoy it considering I've to write about it in an exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Started reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins just to see what all the fuss is about. I'm not far enough yet to give a real opinion but it's well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

Pygmalion wrote: »
    I assume you've posted this to your twitter account already?

:D guilty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

I recently finished reading "The Corner" by David Simon and Ed Burns. They were both producers of The Wire and the book goes through their real life experience of living on a drug corner in West Baltimore and detailing the lives of the drug dealers and dope fiends on the corner. An extraordinary book which will make you think in a different manner about the drug epidemic and the people caught up in that culture.

Also read "All my Sons" by Arthur Miller. I think this guy must be one of the best playwrights of the 20th century. I've only previously read Death of a Salesman when i did the leaving cert but both plays had me gripped from the first page to the last. The way he makes seemingly simple American suburbia life so vivid by pointing out the flaws and follies of the American dream and the people who aspire toward it is fascinating. He was ahead of his time

Starting to read Catch 22 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Reading an excellent book called Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman. Anybody interested in psyhcology, sociology, LIFE! should read it. Seriously. It really opens your eyes.

Managed to get back into Plato's Republic today too, which I'm happy about. I thoroughly enjoy Plato, even if it is outdated! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Kinda half reading The Great Gatsby at the moment. Really enjoying it :).

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    Kinda half reading The Great Gatsby at the moment. Really enjoying it :).

Just looked it up, looks interesting. Although I'm not a big fan of historical type shtuff :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Just looked it up, looks interesting. Although I'm not a big fan of historical type shtuff :p

I tend to enjoy stuff from that era, beautifully written too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I read Gatsby. It's alright but I really question its status as a classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fleeflyfloflum

Last time I posted I was all happy and enthusiastic about the Count of Monte Cristo...it got boring, fast. :rolleyes:

I just got a new Amazon order in so Im reading the 'Voices of Morebath' right now, it's interesting, the story of a small village in Devon during the English Reformation, it is based entirely on the records of the actual vicar at the time, I think it's kind of charming really.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm thinking of ordering in the newly published editions of L.J.Smith's Night World series, seeing as the final installment ("Strange Fate") is due out sometime in the next 12 months. It's something of a guilty pleasure, but I first read the series 10 years ago so I've got an old emotional attachment to it.

Anybody else in here heard of/read the books?

I read most of The Alchemist by Paulo Cohelo on the bus to Cork. Saying it's made me think would be an understatement. It's very profound.
    Around this time last year I read The Pilgrimage, also by Paulo, and that hit me in a similar way, though because of stuff that's been going on lately, The Alchemist speaks to me more....or something....

I read most of The Alchemist by Paulo Cohelo on the bus to Cork. Saying it's made me think would be an understatement. It's very profound.
    Around this time last year I read The Pilgrimage, also by Paulo, and that hit me in a similar way, though because of stuff that's been going on lately, The Alchemist speaks to me more....or something....

The Alchemist does sound like a rewarding read alright! I'll be picking it up for sure next I go book hunting. Cheers for the heads up, Jay P :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Just bought this off the bookdepository the other day for under 3 euro!
    It sounded interesting in the description so hopefully I shall enjoy it.
    Bizarrely enough it will be the first fiction book I will have read in over 2 years, I tend to fervently stick to Historical books when I read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Reading David Copperfield at the moment. Love the fact that people in this thread seem to be mainly reading good books. And Twilight and the ilk is long forgotten..... :D Have a big list of classics to read during summer in between celebration of end of LC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement