Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Reading David Copperfield at the moment. Love the fact that people in this thread seem to be mainly reading good books. And Twilight and the ilk is long forgotten..... :DHave a big list of classics to read during summer in between celebration of end of LC.

You and me both! Any titles you're really looking forward to? :)

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

the label dropping is irritating...

That's.. kind of the point of the book..

House of Leaves. It's so... complex. Very odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭red herring

cumann na mban and the irish revolution.

and

the road, cormac mc carthy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

I read that last summer, it's actually quite funny! Mr Darcy's "most English of parts" LOL :pac:
    House of Leaves. It's so... complex. Very odd.

I really want to read House of Leaves. I heard it's great.

I'm reading Sylvia Plath's Collected Poems at the moment <3<3 Memories of the oul LC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Elanor Rigby by Douglas Coupland.

Really really good book, nearly finished.

Also drunkenly waved my copy at Mix Hell for no particular reason on Friday. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm reading Sylvia Plath's Collected Poems at the moment <3<3 Memories of the oul LC.

I have that book, should really read it more often!

Finished "The Great Gatsby" this morning. Very impressive indeed.
    Still trying to get my head around certain elements of it though. Reckon I'll have to read it again over the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I have no books, and no money to buy more, so until I'm bothered looking for my library card, I'm re-reading the harry potter books :cool: Ohhhh yeaaah.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

The ending of The Alchemist has really annoyed me. It seems to go against the ideals of the book or something...

Either way, it's annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Reading Maus at the moment. Pretty damn good so far, reading it quite slowly as opposed to how I'd normally read a graphic novel (I tend to sorta devour them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

That's.. kind of the point of the book..

Still annoying, whether or not it's intended. :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Finished reading Ronan O Garas autobiography for the 1oth time, now onto Donal Ogs one again! Love reading sports autobiographies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Just finished Lamb by Bernard Mc Laverty for my comparitive studies. Very Chilling ending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters. A supernatural tale set in England in the later 1940's, a very rewarding page turner.

Just got some mainstream crime book - "The Common Lawyer" by Mark Gimenez. It was cheap and there's a lot of hype on the cover. Better be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭bevan619

I'm kind of reading "World War Z" by Max Brooks. Oh, and also lots of comics! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

bevan619 wrote: »
    I'm kind of reading "World War Z" by Max Brooks. Oh, and also lots of comics! :D
    It's an amazing book,even beside the zombies it's a decent read and is nicely segmented[and it has zombies,which always makes things better]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭bevan619

It's an amazing book,even beside the zombies it's a decent read and is nicely segmented[and it has zombies,which always makes things better]

I know lol. I have "The Zombie survival Guide" (I've read it about 3 times lol) and it's pretty good. I just don't get time to read except on Thursdays in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I'm having a leaf now and then through The Wasteland and Other Poems by T.S Eliot.

Then once I'm finished my exams (I never read books while I'm meant to be studying other books!) I'm hoping to start Bleak House by Charles Dickens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

You and me both! Any titles you're really looking forward to? :)

Sure i'll have a crack at War and Peace..... Will read some more Dickens and Dostoevsky for good measure. Have a big pile of recent enough books to go through too; Girl with the Dragon Tattoo etc....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Catcher in the Rye, but I don't think I'm smart enough to have a clue what he's trying to get at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Catcher in the Rye, but I don't think I'm smart enough to have a clue what he's trying to get at.

That book was supposed to mean something :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Sure i'll have a crack at War and Peace.....

That is an amazing book. Massive beast of a thing but it's definitely worth reading. In Pierre, you have one of the most sympathetic characters ever created. I'm actually reading Anna Karenina at the minute and it's just superb so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Monzo wrote: »
    That is an amazing book. Massive beast of a thing but it's definitely worth reading. In Pierre, you have one of the most sympathetic characters ever created. I'm actually reading Anna Karenina at the minute and it's just superb so far.

Read Anna Karenina two years back. T'was a fantastic read, didn't realise i'd know so much about agriculture by the end of it though..... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

The Mists Of Avalon again It is such a good book! After I will probably read Eclispe again to freshen myself up for the movie.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Selected Short Stories of Edgar Allan Poe.

Very cool so far, even if I am challenged by the loads of little bits in French and various Latin references.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lemred

In order to avoid studying, I'm reading 'The Naked and the Dead' by Norman Mailer, so far it's fantasic. For the leaving we are doing 'The Grapes of Wrath', and no matter how much we moan about writing essays on it, it's actually an excellent read, bar the first chapter, which is just dire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

Currently reading "Goodnight Lady" by Martina Cole.

Really don't wanna finish it though because it's the last book I have to read by her, I hope she releases something new soon :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm reading Pride and Prejudice. Have already read it a good few times, but I <3 it. Also, The Journals of Sylvia Plath. This has been on-going for quite a while, I have to admit! It's a huge book and I think you have to be in the right mood to read it. Sometimes I find it really heavy and depressing, but it is amazing.

Advertisement