Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Started reading The God Delusion.

The man seems a lot less "extreme" than most people claim, I think they confuse overly direct (to the extent that you're pretty much an asshole) with being extreme.

Pygmalion wrote: »

The man seems a lot less "extreme" than most people claim, I think they confuse overly direct (to the extent that you're pretty much an asshole) with being extreme.

I think it's quite mild. And very interesting. As Dawkins himself says, I think it's got to do with the way we seem to take Religion as some area logic just can't touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Pygmalion wrote: »

It's more to do with the manner in which he debates and his total disregard for anyone else's opinion. His writing's rather good although he's a habit of taking established biological principles and putting twits on them to pass them off as his own. My biology tutor showed us a video where tore a group of creationists to shreds. Apparently he's rather sexist too from what rumours circulate in academia.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Finished the GAA books before I went, read Summer On Blossom Street yesterday, At the Stroke of Midnight by Alex Kava today (two hours!) and I'm onto an Erica Spindler one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I think it's quite mild. And very interesting. As Dawkins himself says, I think it's got to do with the way we seem to take Religion as some area logic just can't touch.

I'd have to agree.
    To be honest he seems to be a dick, and there have been paragraphs making me think he's a bit up his own ass.
    But he makes good points for the most part (so far at least, in my opinion, YMMV, IANAL etc. etc.), and it's refreshing to see religion treated as something fallible, rather than "Oh no, we can't blame religion for X or we're intolerant".
    Craguls wrote: »
    It's more to do with the manner in which he debates and his total disregard for anyone else's opinion.

I can't claim to have seen much debates with him, but might go and find some to see this.
    He does seem like an asshole as I've said though, so wouldn't be surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

It's more to do with the manner in which he debates and his total disregard for anyone else's opinion. His writing's rather good although he's a habit of taking established biological principles and putting twits on them to pass them off as his own. My biology tutor showed us a video where tore a group of creationists to shreds..

Sounds like he'd be a great Hist member tbh.

Sounds like he'd be a great Hist member tbh.

Your **** off you hist **** profile picture induced many lols on my part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Your **** off you hist **** profile picture induced many lols on my part.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Novella wrote: »
    I'm reading Pride and Prejudice. Have already read it a good few times, but I <3 it. Also, The Journals of Sylvia Plath. This has been on-going for quite a while, I have to admit! It's a huge book and I think you have to be in the right mood to read it. Sometimes I find it really heavy and depressing, but it is amazing.

I didn't know there was such a book! My gf is a big Plath fan, she's told me a bit about her. I'll be looking out for this one :)

I love this thread, to be honest with yis! So many good books floating around :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I didn't know there was such a book! My gf is a big Plath fan, she's told me a bit about her. I'll be looking out for this one :)

I love this thread, to be honest with yis! So many good books floating around :cool:

Yeah, it's a huge book. I can't remember where I bought it but it was pretty expensive. It's not so bad if you buy it online though :) Here it is : http://www.amazon.com/Journals-Sylvia-Plath-1950-1962/dp/0571205216/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272979396&sr=1-4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Yeah, it's a huge book. I can't remember where I bought it but it was pretty expensive. It's not so bad if you buy it online though :) Here it is : http://www.amazon.com/Journals-Sylvia-Plath-1950-1962/dp/0571205216/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272979396&sr=1-4

Ah nice one :D Sound!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I finished reading "Tghe Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists". I haven't read a book that made me laugh out loud as much in ages, it's pretty hilarious stuff. I started rereading Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk. I forget plots and details so easily so it's like reading it for the first time, with only a mild sense of Déja Vu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Piste wrote: »
    I finished reading "Tghe Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists". I haven't read a book that made me laugh out loud as much in ages, it's pretty hilarious stuff. I started rereading Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk. I forget plots and details so easily so it's like reading it for the first time, with only a mild sense of Déja Vu.

And Chuck Palahniuk's books are mindfúcks (in the best possible way) so they're always fresh. Ever read Invisible Monsters? amazingggg. <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

51neKLm9C%2BL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Well, his death has at least motivated me to get the book down off the bookshelf..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Reading Catcher in the Rye for the first time since 1st year of secondary school, so much better this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

I should probably re-read that myself some time. I read it a couple of years ago over the summer and wasn't impressed with it at all. I didn't see what all the fuss was about tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I really love Catcher in the Rye, it's one of my favourites. <3

Atm, I'm reading The Importance of Being Earnest, by Oscar Wilde. I saw the play years ago, maybe when I was doing my Leaving Cert, I forget, and I loved it so when I saw the book on amazon, I bought it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I should probably re-read that myself some time. I read it a couple of years ago over the summer and wasn't impressed with it at all. I didn't see what all the fuss was about tbh.

That's the exact same with me. I've been meaning to go back to it for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Jay P wrote: »
    That's the exact same with me. I've been meaning to go back to it for ages.

And a plus one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I loved it the first time, enjoying it more this time :D

• Advertisement

I loved it as well. The opening paragraph is one of my favourite pieces of writing ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I bought and started it months ago...dunno what happened. It shall join the long list for the summer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

Untold Stories by Alan Bennett. Best book I've read in a year or so, and A Confederacy of Dunces was one read within that period too, which I'd like to think is a strong indicator of the brilliance of Bennett. Sorry, just carping on...my humble opinion. An unnecessary added extra to the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Skinback

Fad wrote: »
    Kinda curious as to what my demographic actually reads (if anything)

I'm reading:

All Families Are Psychotic-Douglas Coupland.

and I have the following lined up:

At Swim Two Birds-Flann O'Brien.
    Survivor-Chuck Palahnuik.

and I have to scan through the "Bhagavad Gita" (Hare Krishna sacred text) for my religion project, which I really need to get done over Xmas

I gave up on At Swim Two Birds....found it turgid

I really love Catcher in the Rye, it's one of my favourites. <3

Atm, I'm reading The Importance of Being Earnest, by Oscar Wilde. I saw the play years ago, maybe when I was doing my Leaving Cert, I forget, and I loved it so when I saw the book on amazon, I bought it. :)

Thats the way with favourite old school books....I rebought my old 60's Anthology of Poetry for the same reason.

Tarry Flynn by Kavanagh.

I also plan to finish Dantes Inferno shortly.

Ah god.....Tarry Flynn takes me back...I loved it.Read it when I was a whippersnapper.

I'll be starting Angela's Ashes in a few days time, got through the first 3 chapters of Northern Lights very quickly last night.

Angelas Ashes and Tis are two great reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Roadside Picnic - Arkady and Boris Strugatsky

Really good sci-fi, the movie Stalker and the game series S.T.A.L.K.E.R. are based on it.
    (They are not directly linked to each other, other than an Eastern-Block theme and a re-imagining of Roadside Picnic)

Aliens land in 6 different places around the world for a day and then leave, without any intentional contact with the human populace. The 'Visitation Zones' (places around where they landed) have changed overnight. The standard laws of physics no longer apply in these places.

It's a different kind of alien encounter, the type that woodland animals would experience if humans were to 'land' in their woods and have a picnic. The terror of strange noises (radios), the disruption of their habitat, and the strange things left behind (bottles, wrappers, maybe a lighter or wasted batteries).
    Humans don't send emissaries to the animals before we have a picnic, we just go there, do what we want, and leave, without ever thinking about the animals that were there first.
    How would we fare if a more advanced civilization did that to us?

Certainly worth a read.

Xx_emma_xX wrote: »
    I'm reading J.D Salinger - The Catcher In The Rye. I saw it today just dumped in some corner at a bookshop and said I'd see what all the hype is about. So far I'm not too impressed, to be honest, but it's early days yet.

That's cos ur a girlie.Catcher is a boys book.

• Advertisement

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Sure i'll have a crack at War and Peace..... Will read some more Dickens and Dostoevsky for good measure. Have a big pile of recent enough books to go through too; Girl with the Dragon Tattoo etc....;)

You should try Gissings Netherworld too, as an alternative to Dickens.
    I loved it and New Grub Street too.

Advertisement