Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Skinback

I finished Crime And Punishment by Dostoyevsky yesterday, not sure what I can say! It's a classic for a reason :cool:

Going back and forth between different philosophic texts until I buy another Dostoyevsky novel :)

A lot of yis seem to be reading/have read Catcher In The Rye? My mate is reading it at the moment, not sure wether I should ask for a lend of it in the future or not :pac:

It's a must-read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Skinback

P G Wodehouse said that the only book worth reading was Vanity Fair so I gave it a shot and thought it was one of the best things I ever read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

Skinback wrote: »
    It's a must-read.

Hmm. Holden ain't got nothin' on Huck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Skinback wrote: »
    I gave up on At Swim Two Birds....found it turgid

I have a particular reason to read the book though.....related to man who wrote it.

Despite this, I dont agree with your description at all :)

"El Camino" - can't remember the author's name. Well, I'm trying to read it - it's in Spanish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Started annies girl yesterday, finished it last night.

Another one I got recently: Hacking - the art of exploitation. Very interesting so far.

(disclaimer: it's far from what it sounds like, and doesn't endorse anything illegal. It's available from Eason, like. :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Reading my English novel at the moment, Pompeii by Robert Harris, we have to have it read by September. Was expecting it to be a ball of shìte, but it's actually really good....makes my job a bit easier.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

"El Camino" - can't remember the author's name. Well, I'm trying to read it - it's in Spanish!

My dad just did that! He only got back on Sunday night...had the time of his life. I'll probably do it aswell at some stage. It's supposed to be amazing, bit of an adventure:)

Another one I got recently: Hacking - the art of exploitation. Very interesting so far.

(disclaimer: it's far from what it sounds like, and doesn't endorse anything illegal. It's available from Eason, like. :P)

Was going to buy this soon, but I discover we (As UCD students) have free access to an online copy of it, which is almost as good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Fad wrote: »
    Was going to buy this soon, but I discover we (As UCD students) have free access to an online copy of it

Explain?

I would like access to a free (legal) online copy of it, is it just a UCD thing?

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Explain?

I would like access to a free (legal) online copy of it, is it just a UCD thing?

UCD thing seemingly.

If you search the catalogue, you find it. Only as an online resource, click on it, it'll eventually prompt you to input you log in info, and then there's the book.

DCU could well have similar access, I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

UCD thing seemingly.

If you search the catalogue, you find it. Only as an online resource, click on it, it'll eventually prompt you to input you log in info, and then there's the book.

DCU could well have similar access, I dunno.

Any idea what database it's on? UCC have the largest electronic resource library in Ireland I believe...

Found two sources of e-books for DCU, not sure if there's some overlap but they aren't the same sets anyway as one is bigger.

Only about 400 in total though, and nothing interesting.

Was going to buy this soon, but I discover we (As UCD students) have free access to an online copy of it, which is almost as good!

Really!? Eh.... woops. Could've saved myself a lot of money there.

My dad just did that! He only got back on Sunday night...had the time of his life. I'll probably do it aswell at some stage. It's supposed to be amazing, bit of an adventure:)

Oh, yeah one of my friends did it over the Easter Holidays. As far as I can tell with my terrible level of Spanish, the book's not about the Camino though. Camino is Spanish for 'road' so it's just kind of about some guy's life.

Really!? Eh.... woops. Could've saved myself a lot of money there.

Don't worry, you can just give it to me tbh.

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Don't worry, you can just give it to me tbh.

No thanks.
    If I can get the digital copy you can have that though.

I'm reading 'Virolution' at the moment. Very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Finished John Grisham's The Appeal yesterday. Really enjoyed it.

I asked for my library to order me Catcher in the Rye about 2 months ago and they still haven't got it in. I'm pretty sure they are censoring my reading. The last book I ordered from them was American Psycho so there is a good chance they fear that I may become a sociopath! :P

When I ordered American Psycho, the woman in the library was like, "I don't think that would be suitable for your age group."
    Then, when I ordered Catcher in the Rye, she was like, "That book deals with strong issues. I wouldn't recommend it to someone your age to be honest".

Both times I told her to order it anyway and the look she gave me was priceless:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Jackobyte wrote: »

I asked for my library to order me Catcher in the Rye about 2 months ago and they still haven't got it in. I'm pretty sure they are censoring my reading. The last book I ordered from them was American Psycho so there is a good chance they fear that I may become a sociopath! :P

When I ordered American Psycho, the woman in the library was like, "I don't think that would be suitable for your age group."
    Then, when I ordered Catcher in the Rye, she was like, "That book deals with strong issues. I wouldn't recommend it to someone your age to be honest".

Both times I told her to order it anyway and the look she gave me was priceless:D

In fairness, American Psycho is fooking disgusting. I would really struggle to recommend it to anyone tbh..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

phlegms wrote: »
    In fairness, American Psycho is fooking disgusting. I would really struggle to recommend it to anyone tbh..

It's fascinating as a thought-experiment, if nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I actually really enjoyed American Psycho - the somewhat gratuitous violence aside. I'm a fan of Easton Ellis' style of writing though, I really enjoyed The Rules of Attraction. It's definitely worth a read, and less shocking than American Psycho so it eases you into things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Aoibheann wrote: »
    I actually really enjoyed American Psycho - the somewhat gratuitous violence aside. I'm a fan of Easton Ellis' style of writing though, I really enjoyed The Rules of Attraction. It's definitely worth a read, and less shocking than American Psycho so it eases you into things!
    Can I order that without getting odd looks from my librarian?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I loved American Psycho, though not so much when the violence was really graphic. At times it was just scary. The movie seems to be ok as well, though I've only watched about half of it so far, I still haven't gotten around to the rest of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

I finished "The Kite Runner" this week - what a fantastic book, definately one of my favourites. I might try tackle "War & Peace" after my exams. I started reading it last year but it defeated me by Book II.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

I think any skill Easton has for writing is completely overwhelmed by the gratuitous violence in the book. In fact, most aspects of the book suffer from that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Jackobyte wrote: »

Read American Psycho during 5th year and teacher glanced at book and asked if the movie was based on it... The whole time I was praying that she wouldn't glance at any page. :D T'is fairly grotesque but can be funny at times. ;) Catcher in the Rye is a must read for when you're a teenager though, t'is alot easier to relate to etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

DKZ wrote: »
    I finished "The Kite Runner" this week - what a fantastic book, definately one of my favourites. I might try tackle "War & Peace" after my exams. I started reading it last year but it defeated me by Book II.

I think I have the kite runner somewhere *gazes through my myriad of books*

Must have a read of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

I paid just a cool $0.65 for the Bell Jar today because of a book voucher i won!
    I shall add it to the list of books i have to get round to reading. Catcher in the rye, Gommorah and the Suspicions of Mr. Whicher all await once i finish reading Catch 22

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

It's fascinating as a thought-experiment, if nothing else.

And quotes for sigs.
    Just saying.

Advertisement