Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I thought I'd give a mention to The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ.

Alternative version of the Bible story. I have it on my "To Do" list this summer.

Short Video of the author, Pullman, answering a question on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

And quotes for sigs.
    Just saying.
    Ya, I noticed your sig as I was reading the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Got Nineteen Eighty Four out of the library today, been wanting to read it for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Got Nineteen Eighty Four out of the library today, been wanting to read it for ages.

I also need to read that sometime, my Dad's got an old copy up in the attic somewhere.

I'm reading "The Good Man Jesus and The Scoundrel Christ". I'd no idea what it was about before buying it but Phillip Pullman wrote it so it must be good!

The premise is very interesting and as an aside, the pages are extra-thick for some reason.

EDIT: It's deviously blasphemous, as you'd expect from Pullman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

deisedude wrote: »
    I paid just a cool $0.65 for the Bell Jar today because of a book voucher i won!
    I shall add it to the list of books i have to get round to reading. Catcher in the rye, Gommorah and the Suspicions of Mr. Whicher all await once i finish reading Catch 22

Bell Jar is excellent, personally I way prefer it to her poetry, wish she'd done more fiction.

That is also good. There's a fair bit of hooha over the ending, think it was changed in movie versions? Though it's been years since I read it and also I don't want to ruin the end for you, still that's an interesting thing to look into after you've finished it. Very clichéd thing to say but it is scary how much of it is accurate :eek:

Saw a copy of Life of Pi in my housemate's room there (I was feeding her fish!), going to ask if I can borrow that once she gets back from holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Enid.

I finished The Bell Jar and Animal Farm a few days ago (both were very good!) and I have moved on to On The Road by Jack Kerouac, which I've had in my room for donkeys years and just got around to starting it there. It's so far achieved it's aim of making me want to go hitchhiking across America :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

I read The Alchemist and Eat, Pray, Love in the last week. The latter was especially fantastic....I'm now 50 pages into White Tiger.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Just finished reading "Street Fighter: Round One FIGHT!", a manga responsible for cementing and creating canon in the universe. Great stuff, cleared a few things up for me and the art is incredible.

Street_Fighter_4_Cover_by_UdonCrew.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Bell Jar is excellent, personally I way prefer it to her poetry, wish she'd done more fiction.

That is also good. There's a fair bit of hooha over the ending, think it was changed in movie versions? Though it's been years since I read it and also I don't want to ruin the end for you, still that's an interesting thing to look into after you've finished it. Very clichéd thing to say but it is scary how much of it is accurate :eek:

Saw a copy of Life of Pi in my housemate's room there (I was feeding her fish!), going to ask if I can borrow that once she gets back from holidays.

Life of Pi is fantastic. It's definitely one of my favourite books of all time.
    I read The Alchemist and Eat, Pray, Love in the last week. The latter was especially fantastic....I'm now 50 pages into White Tiger.

I wasn't especially keen on The Alchemist... I thought the ending was a bit at odds with the idea of the whole story...
    Ok yeah, he set out looking for treasure, and that's what he got, but I dunno...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Not reading anything right now :(
    I have loads of books for the summer though, starting with Wolf Hall, the Complete Stories of Sherlock Holmes and The Shadow in the Wind. Going to go crazy over the summer, I'll be living at home so I can actually afford to buy books. Might try and read some more popular science books too, not sure where to start though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 esio trot

I am currently reading "The Hippopotamus" by Stephen Fry and I have to say it is a huge disappointment. I consider myself quite liberal and yes I think there is something inherently humorous when it comes to shock value. However, Fry has transcended this with the utmost drivel including the graphic description of a 15 year old boy getting off with a horse. Surely you have to realise that the line has to be drawn somewhere. Didn't think a man of Frys intelligence would stoop to such base lows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I finished reading Emma by Jane Austen a few days ago (I have a thing for corny 19th century novels, don't judge me!) and now I'm on to The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas.

I really liked the Bell Jar, mainly because it communicates a lot of what her poetry does, just in more accessible fashion. I think you need to have read her poems to get better hold on the book though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Stephen_Fry_moab_is_my_washpot.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Reading Soul Music by Terry Pratchett, really should be more careful with this copy, it's signed!

Fad may or may not have previously attended DWCON >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger.

Again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Craguls wrote: »
    Stephen_Fry_moab_is_my_washpot.jpg

I love this book. What a man <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

Just finished reading Catcher in the Rye and i must say i was majorly disappointed by it. It's not a bad book but i can't figure out why there is so much universal acclaim that it is one of the best books ever.
    I can't for the life of me see why the book was so taboo at one stage either. Because Holden curses a bit?:confused:
    I kept reading hoping the ending would make the book go out with a bang but in the end it just petered out with a whimper.
    I have heard people say that the book resonates better once you read it a certain age. Maybe at 21 i'm too old to "get it".

Anywho Gomorroh is next on my list:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

The film of that is well worth watching. It transpired that some of the cast were actually real life members of the Naples mafia!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Boydsey14

Archery...Beau N. Arrow, and just finished Bad Gardeners by Wilt Plant, and
    bin looking for a book titled [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Handel's Messiah by Ollie Luyah....:D:D:D[/FONT]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

Monzo wrote: »
    The film of that is well worth watching. It transpired that some of the cast were actally real life members of the Naples mafia!

Ya i've been meaning to watch the film too. I've heard the author of the book is under witness protection now because they fear the Mafia will kill him:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

I love the Bell Jar. It's probably one of my favourite books ever. Absolutely incredible. I love Plath's poetry too (can be very dark, but still) but I really wish she'd written more novels too.

Life of Pi, on the other hand... Let's just say that book isn't one of my favourites :p

Started reading Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami the other day and I'm already a hundred pages in. Really liking it so far.. very intriguing. Can't wait to see how all the strange events in the narrative fit together in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

I finished The White Tiger a while ago...really fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis is fairly depressing it has to be said but very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis is fairly depressing it has to be said but very good.

I fell in love with it from the opening line when I recognised it from a Bloc Party song. Tough read in places but yeah, good book.

I'll still never get through American Psycho though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Have compiled a list of books that i'm gonna order at the end of the lc..... :D
    1. Break on Through - Jim Morrison Biography have developed an addiction to him.
    2. Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami - Upon a recommendation by a fellow boardsie....
    3. Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel - Sounds a bit like the tudors so should be interesting...
    4. Millenium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson - Everyones been raving about it for ages, should be better than that Twilight shít.....
    5. Under the Dome by Stephen King - Mixed reviews but I love Stephen King. :rolleyes:

Will probably have loads more picked by the time i'm finished..... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Just started wolfsangle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I'm reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. About half way through and really like it. I love his writing style. Both in this and in The Virgin Suicides there's so many times when he just seems to describe words/feelings in a perfect way. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just finished reading Catcher in the Rye and i must say i was majorly disappointed by it. It's not a bad book but i can't figure out why there is so much universal acclaim that it is one of the best books ever.
    I can't for the life of me see why the book was so taboo at one stage either. Because Holden curses a bit?:confused:
    I kept reading hoping the ending would make the book go out with a bang but in the end it just petered out with a whimper.
    I have heard people say that the book resonates better once you read it a certain age. Maybe at 21 i'm too old to "get it".

Think it had some part to play in John Lennon's shooting! Inspired the killer or something. Overall, I think it has such acclaim because of how it is written. Fiction but done like fact kind of way, a (almost) typical teenager in college who despises the society around him, and so becomes a recluse. PArt of the acclaim may be that it can divide people so much.

Reading material myself, well, am reading Social Intelligence. ITs pretty much a neuroscience book, and why/how the brain works in the way ot does, and how it creates social interaction etc. Very interesting, but think I'll skip onto The Road now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Just finished Go Ask Alice again. Think it should be done in school as part of SPHE in 5th year or something like that.

About to start 13 Things That Dont Make Sense by Michael Brooks

It's all about science and what not :)

Advertisement