Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Finished Anna Karenina. Tolstoy was such a master at creating characters. Now onto To Kill A Mockingbird. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Monzo wrote: »
    Finished Anna Karenina. Tolstoy was such a master at creating characters. Now onto To Kill A Mockingbird. :)

to kill a mockingbird is very overrated imo. maybe its because i had to study it for my junior cert but i didnt enjoy it that much. i gave up reading during the exams. i had to abandon the satanic verses to do study, so im gonna go back to the start and read it again.

Reading The Color of Law by Mark Gimenez.

I'm not sure why I decided to start trying out the whole lawyer novel genre, but so far it's pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Never let me go by Kazuo Ishiguru. Its so good!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton, thought I should have some swash buckling goodness after the exams. Wasn't really in the mood for anything that made me think lots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I've forgotten how to read.

I used to read voraciously in my spare time. I used to find it difficult to fall asleep without reading myself to sleepiness.

It's gone :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I've forgotten how to read.

I used to read voraciously in my spare time. I used to find it difficult to fall asleep without reading myself to sleepiness.

It's gone :(

I haven't read properly since before the Leaving Cert :(

Summer goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Currently reading Evan Wright's 'Generation Kill', it's proving prety good so far. Have a stack of books on the Iraqi War, American intelligence in war and air power's influence upon History to go through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

Currently reading Evan Wright's 'Generation Kill', it's proving prety good so far. Have a stack of books on the Iraqi War, American intelligence in war and air power's influence upon History to go through!

The HBO series is well worth watching too

deisedude wrote: »
    The HBO series is well worth watching too

Cheers for that. I wasn't sure of getting it as it's only 7 episodes long. Might get it if I find it cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I was meant to go visit my friends yesterday but decided against it due to the fact that they were still in bed when I called (at 2pm) (This is why we're friends).

Instead, I bought a book to kill two hours and sat around George's Dock reading it. I haven't read properly in a while, and it felt goooooood.

I used to be such a fantastic reader.

I'm currently 325 pages in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I fell in love with it from the opening line when I recognised it from a Bloc Party song. Tough read in places but yeah, good book.

I'll still never get through American Psycho though...

Yeah jesus that book is gory as hell! I prefer Less Than Zero, even though Clay lacks Mr. Bateman's 'interesting' point of view
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

This may sound weird but recently I've started reading Artemis Fowl, now I realise that they're for 10 - 14 year olds but I never read them and I am LOVING them. Is it wrong that I'm falling for a 13 year old? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

This may sound weird but recently I've started reading Artemis Fowl, now I realise that they're for 10 - 14 year olds but I never read them and I am LOVING them. Is it wrong that I'm falling for a 13 year old? :confused:

It's just because he reminds you of me, and you love me. :p :pac: But seriously, it's graaaand. They have a cult following in older teenagers. :) And Artemis is badass.

So....one of my Summer goals is to read lots and lots of books. Anyone care to recommend anything? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

It's just because he reminds you of me, and you love me. :p :pac: But seriously, it's graaaand. They have a cult following in older teenagers. :) And Artemis is badass.

Thank you, this makes me feel better. He really is badass, he's the dream! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

So....one of my Summer goals is to read lots and lots of books. Anyone care to recommend anything? :)
    tolkien,all of it.twice :D

seriously though,they are all wonderful immersive books to read.If you can read the Silmarillion I will have eternal respect for you,it's like reading shakespeare,sooo complex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

The internet has ruined me. I can no longer read for funsies..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

Finished The Catcher in the Rye. Great book! Now reading Hard Times by Charles Dickens and All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy.

I swear I didn't read properly for ages and now it's like I can't stop! I really really want to read The Time Travellers Wife when I'm finished with those two, my sister read it and said it's class!:)

Finished 'The Iraq War' and 'Generation Kill'. Posted about them over in the Military forum.

Now on to finishing up 'Leave no Man Behind' (about Special Forces and rescue/liberation/seizure missions) and 'Lance Armstrong: The World's Greatest Champion'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mcginleyireland

I've started reading "SuperFreakonomics"! It's kinda weird to describe it. It's full of weird statistics about the economy. So far so good.
    My next book will be "And Another Thing" by Eoin Colfer. I'm sure it will be a disappointing book. There is no way he can write in the same style as Douglas Adams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm on a big reading buzz lately.

I decided to start reading "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown yesterday, and as with all his books, I'm enticed, but feeling a bit empty inside.

I'm going to read "That they may Face the Rising Sun" by John McGahern when I'm done. It's quite small and apparently quite tough to get into, but my Mother said it's one of her favourite books ever so I reckon it's worth a shot.

^ McGahern is a brilliant writer. I studied his short story collection, Creatures of the Earth, in college and most of the stories are just sublime. Must pick up some of his novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭OopsyDaisy

Finished The Catcher in the Rye. Great book! Now reading Hard Times by Charles Dickens and All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy.

I swear I didn't read properly for ages and now it's like I can't stop! I really really want to read The Time Travellers Wife when I'm finished with those two, my sister read it and said it's class!:)

The Time Travellers Wife is soo good...the movie kinda ruined it though. I read the book years before the movie, and got really excited when I heard it was being made, but when I saw it was really dissapointed. It's an ok film if you haven't read the book, but if you have its really bad.

I'm reading Shutter Island, wish I hadn't seen the film first though, because it ruins the ending and the plot when you know whats happening. Those of you who saw the film, or read the book will know what I mean. It's still enjoyable though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

amazing book fella. Kudos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Enid.

I finished "The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ" by Philip Pullman before the Leaving Cert, it was weird. It only came into it's own towards the end. Different to the stuff I usually read though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Went to the library yesterday and got Pride and Prejudice and 1984 for going away. Been meaning to read both for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mcginleyireland

1984 is such a good book. Wouldn't mind reading that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

im currently reading "songs of the humpback whale" - jodi picoult
    im not a fan of her tbh but this book is alright i quite like it so far

after this i have my sights set on "The gates - samuel johnson versus the devil round 1" - John connolly
    i cant wait to read this one! :)

to kill a mockingbird is very overrated imo. maybe its because i had to study it for my junior cert but i didnt enjoy it that much. i gave up reading during the exams. i had to abandon the satanic verses to do study, so im gonna go back to the start and read it again.

Finished it today and I'd have to say it's a strange book for the JC - there's even a caution at the start that the book is 'For mature readers'...

I dunno if I fall under the category of a mature reader or not but I thought it was alright. It was good in some parts but it dragged in others. I must have read another novel that ripped it off because I kept getting a vague sense of deja vú toward the end.

Now onto Gogol's Diary of a Madman. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Monzo wrote: »
    I dunno if I fall under the category of a mature reader or not but I thought it was alright. It was good in some parts but it dragged in others. I must have read another novel that ripped it off because I kept getting a vague sense of deja vú toward the end.

That's how I felt about it, except the good part was restricted to about 1 or 2 chapters and the bit that dragged on was the entire rest of the book.
    The only interesting bit for me was the actual courtroom scene, and that was dealt with way quicker than I thought it should be. I honestly couldn't care less about Scout or her childhood, and she kept rambling on about it. Same with Boo Radley - I DON'T FCUKING CARE ABOUT YOU!! And Atticus Finch is a very overrated "hero".
    :mad:

Advertisement