Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

That's how I felt about it, except the good part was restricted to about 1 or 2 chapters and the bit that dragged on was the entire rest of the book.
    The only interesting bit for me was the actual courtroom scene, and that was dealt with way quicker than I thought it should be. I honestly couldn't care less about Scout or her childhood, and she kept rambling on about it. Same with Boo Radley - I DON'T FCUKING CARE ABOUT YOU!! And Atticus Finch is a very overrated "hero".
    :mad:

My favourite book:o. I've read it a ridiculous amount of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Finished Dean Koontz "Relentless"... Possibly the worst book i've read in a long time, I would use spoiler tags but that might mean someone might go off and read it..
    At one stage they discovered that their six year old son/genius invented a teleportation vest which he used on the dog called Lassie, inexplicably the dog could teleport without it. Turned out it was supposed to be a horror story but it was pure dross more so than anything else.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

That's how I felt about it, except the good part was restricted to about 1 or 2 chapters and the bit that dragged on was the entire rest of the book.
    The only interesting bit for me was the actual courtroom scene, and that was dealt with way quicker than I thought it should be. I honestly couldn't care less about Scout or her childhood, and she kept rambling on about it. Same with Boo Radley - I DON'T FCUKING CARE ABOUT YOU!! And Atticus Finch is a very overrated "hero".
    :mad:
    You see, that's EXACTLY what I thought.

So much irrelevance! Would have made more sense as a short story\novella or something.

Enid. wrote: »
    I finished "The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ" by Philip Pullman before the Leaving Cert, it was weird. It only came into it's own towards the end. Different to the stuff I usually read though.

Really? I know the start was kind of just traditional stories with not much new details added in, apart from the Jesus/Christ thing of course, which is the point of the book. All the same, you could see it gradually building up to the climax. It was slightly obvious what was going to happen, but I still enjoyed it.

Maybe I enjoyed the idea behind it more so than the writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Alexs-Adventures-in-Numberla.jpg

Started it on my lunch break today in work and couldn't wait the week to continue it, had to buy it! Loving it so far, but then I love my maths book. The Music of the Primes is one of my favourite books

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

I wish my ability to read and finish books was proportionate to my ability to keep buying them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

This morning An Post delivered The Good Man Jesus And The Scoundrel Christ, Tarry Flynn, The Power Of Now, and a practical guide to Philosophy which seems very useful! Lots to read! End of LC = Lots of bewkz :)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I got Catcher in the Rye today, few chapters in... I was afraid I'd hate it after all I'd heard but it's quite funny. Just up to to the bit
    in the train with Morrow's (or Marrow?) mother.
    Also took me a while to realise that when Salinger, or Holden, said that
    his roommate was "sexy" he meant that he was a horny mess.
    For a while I was like WTF is happening here.... :D haha maybe I'm not wrong though so don't ruin it!:pac:

Also halfway through "The Book Thief".... idk I sort of stopped caring about Liesel and Rudi, nothing really happens for ages. Maybe just the apathetic result of studying for your Leaving..

Recently read "Freakonomics" as well... twas great, bit short though and the last study/paper was a bit stupid I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Just finished Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis. It's about a salesman who one morning wakes up to find himself transformed into a hideous insect. Fantastic short story. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I finished "Never Let me Go" a few days ago, a strange book, but very original premise and pretty touching too.

Here's the trailer for the film:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I re-read The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon the other night. It's seen as sort of a prequel to my absolute favourite book of all time, The Shadow of the Wind (it's not really.. just contains some of the same charachters and a little bit about their past.. it's also the most successful book in Spanish history!). Seriously mindblowing stuff.. unlike Shadow, it's totally open to interpretation. Just loaned it to my 34 year old sister.. it'll be interesting to see what she thinks happened compared to my conclusion. Seriously though.. you should ALL read The Shadow of the Wind. Nom central.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Finished John Grisham's The Appeal yesterday. Really enjoyed it.

I asked for my library to order me Catcher in the Rye about 2 months ago and they still haven't got it in. I'm pretty sure they are censoring my reading. The last book I ordered from them was American Psycho so there is a good chance they fear that I may become a sociopath! :P

When I ordered American Psycho, the woman in the library was like, "I don't think that would be suitable for your age group."
    Then, when I ordered Catcher in the Rye, she was like, "That book deals with strong issues. I wouldn't recommend it to someone your age to be honest".

Both times I told her to order it anyway and the look she gave me was priceless:D
    They finally got it in! \o/

Haven't started it yet, finishing my own book first but I'll be into it by Monday or Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Genrikh Yagoda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Piste wrote: »
    I finished "Never Let me Go" a few days ago, a strange book, but very original premise and pretty touching too.

Here's the trailer for the film:

Sticking that on the list :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

I just finished Gommorah which is a true crime book detailing the influence of the mob in Naples. After a slow start i really got into it. The level of power these gangs have in Italy is nothing short of phenomenal and the amount of blood spilled to get it is nothing short of shocking. A real eye opener of a book. I will have to get my hands on the movie at some stage soon.

At the moment i'm reading the Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. Must say i'm quite impressed. It reads kind of like Catcher in the Rye in the way it is written but i find this much more gripping. Its like seeing life through Plaths eyes which at times can feel quite disturbing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

I find it difficult to read fiction these days, so I've been reading lots of books that tend to be found in the "current affairs" section.

At the moment, I'm reading The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell. I really like his style of writing, I look forward to reading his other ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

syncosised wrote: »
    I find it difficult to read fiction these days, so I've been reading lots of books that tend to be found in the "current affairs" section.

At the moment, I'm reading The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell. I really like his style of writing, I look forward to reading his other ones!

I read "Blink" a few weeks ago. Interesting, but in that book I felt his scientific evidence was pretty shaky...annoyed me. Anecdotes were entertaining though.

wayhey wrote: »
    I read "Blink" a few weeks ago. Interesting, but in that book I felt his scientific evidence was pretty shaky...annoyed me. Anecdotes were entertaining though.
    Yeah, there was an interesting bit in The Tipping Point about a famous murder in New York in the 1960s where 38 people supposedly witnessed it but no one tried to stop it. He presented this pretty much as fact. I previously read SuperFreakonomics, where the authors examined this in detail and found that this wasn't the case at all. Though to be fair, The Tipping Point was published a few years before it, it certainly is interesting to think that you should take all these things as fact!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Im reading the ''Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon'' by Stephen King..again..

I might give Pride and Prejudice a whirl after..I found it in my house and have nothing else to read so..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Currently reading Vince Flynn's 'Excutive Power'. It's a fiction book, pretty good. Too much to explain so I'll let Amazon work away here.

Also looking through Fiasco, author: Thomas E. Ricks. It's him blasting the 2003 Iraq War, he's god some good arguments but I'm just a chapter in. It'll be a long haul I reckon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Nineteen Minutes - Jodi Picoult.
    I'm finding it interesting, about a third of the way in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

^ I really enjoyed that book, I must say. :)

I re-read The Perks Of Being A Wallflower yesterday. My God, I love that book somethin' serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Reading stuff by Haruki Murakami these days. Bit weird in places, but really great stuff! Kafka on the Shore at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

deisedude wrote: »
    I just finished Gommorah which is a true crime book

Saw the film adaptation a while ago, was interesting but very slow moving, wasn't a massive fan.. Book sounds interesting though I'd like to see how it compares to the film!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Just finished:A short history of nearly everything-Bill Byrson
    Unreal if your into physics!

Going onto Eclipse to refresh my memory before I watch the movie! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

Can someone please recommend me a couple of good books for the summer. None of this Twilight saga nonsense please. A classic perhaps???

1984! A definite classic. If you want classic classic, try Crime and Punishment. A long old slog, but it's good. And it's a Penguin Classic, so you'll get it most places for less than €3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

syncosised wrote: »
    1984! A definite classic. If you want classic classic, try Crime and Punishment. A long old slog, but it's good. And it's a Penguin Classic, so you'll get it most places for less than €3.

Thanks. I've been thinking about reading 1984. Any other ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

Bajingo wrote: »
    Im reading the ''Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon'' by Stephen King..again..

I might give Pride and Prejudice a whirl after..I found it in my house and have nothing else to read so..

I absolutely love Stephen King, really want to get around to reading The Stand this summer. It's the only one of the original few I haven't read. Haven't read anything in ages though and the size is so intimidating...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

*giggles* wrote: »
    Can someone please recommend me a couple of good books for the summer. None of this Twilight saga nonsense please. A classic perhaps???

I'm reading the border trilogy at the moment and they're really just fantastic, nearly finished now:( Would definitely recommend them!

Advertisement