Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Just finished the Prisoner of Askaban, now onto the Goblet of fire \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭annainez

Monzo wrote: »
    Recently got through a bunch of Kafka and Gogol short stories and Nick Hornby's About A Boy (pretty good, amusing and engaging).

I love Nick Hornby's books, very amusing. Especially liked Long Way Down and High Fidelity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

I'm reading "Predictably irrational" by Dan Ariely. So interesting, I started reading it during the year, but the LC got in the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I finished Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl who played with Fire (within in a week...Oh Gawdd)- Stieg Larsson was properly the man! I'm going to move onto the 3rd one now tonight.

My Mother bought be 5 new books over the weekend to, ehh, give me my fix I think, but tbh after I finish this next Stieg Larsson one I think I'm going to have to start reading my eh, text books again.

Hello Gray's Anatomy/ Last's Anatomy/ Sherwood's Human Physiology, I've not missed you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

annainez wrote: »
    I love Nick Hornby's books, very amusing. Especially liked Long Way Down and High Fidelity.

Haven't heard of Long Way Down but I'd love to read High Fidelity. I have Fever Pitch somewhere in the house but I'll probably leave it for a while; probably wouldn't enjoy it because of my growing disillusionment of the 'beautiful game'. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Monzo wrote: »
    Haven't heard of Long Way Down but I'd love to read High Fidelity. I have Fever Pitch somewhere in the house but I'll probably leave it for a while; probably wouldn't enjoy it because of my growing disillusionment of the 'beautiful game'. :p

Oh you would, it's kind of written for someone with a 'growing disillusionment of the beautiful game'. It's Hornby analysing why it defined his life for so long. Great read.

Right now, I'm between two; '1791 - Mozart's Last Year', which my brother gave me to read and is pretty interesting (it's pretty much the author completely disproving the movie Amadeus), and 'We Need to Talk About Kevin', which my mum read years ago, gave to me and I've never got into it properly. I'll give it a go tonight though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭EverybodyLies

Wow. You all read such posh books. ;) At the moment I'm re-reading the Harry Potter books and the Hunger Games books. And I'm reading the rules of the road. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Intellectual stagnation: Dawkins' "The Greatest Show on Earth", bought months ago, remains largely unread, while the latest Ross O'Carroll-Kelly was finished in a day.

Yay summer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

annainez wrote: »

Oh Hornby <3

I love love love that man.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MrSir

Just read Crash by J.G Ballard which was brilliant (What my Dad said to me on the day when I got the book was priceless
    'You know that's a weird book'
    'I know'
    'NO it's a REALLY weird book'
    I'm now reading Naked Lunch at the moment. Now Crash has nothing on Naked Lunch for weirdness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

My copy of the Goblet of Fire has disappeared, and they didn't have it in the library.

So over 2 ridiculously quiet days in work I read Can You See Me? by Ruth Gilligan. I really liked it, could barely put it down.

Finished that and I'm now onto the beach. I've seen the movie, and the books very good so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Gonna re-read a bunch of books from my childhood in the next few weeks. Starting right now with Mary Poppins, and a bunch of Roald Dahl stuff, The Little House on the Prairie ones, Under the Hawthorne Tree and some others shall be thrown in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Gonna re-read a bunch of books from my childhood in the next few weeks. Starting right now with Mary Poppins, and a bunch of Roald Dahl stuff, The Little House on the Prairie ones, Under the Hawthorne Tree and some others shall be thrown in.

That was my favourite book for AGES when I was younger! Ah memories <3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

^ Oh wow I'd completely forgotten about those books. The second one was brilliant as well, I think it was Wildflower Girl or something along those lines. I adored those books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Romeo and Juliet. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

9780765357151.jpg
    oh zombie survival books <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

9780765357151.jpg
    oh zombie survival books <3

They're vampires in the book :p

A Neurotic wrote: »
    what's that? You did say zombies didn't you? yes,yes you did.

>.>

Darkly Dreaming Dexter.. It's alright so far. Read The Fall by Albert Camus the other day, dunno if I 'got it'. I'll probably go back to it someday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Mr Nice by Howard Marks, it even has a chapter dedicated to dope smuggling in Cork and Limerick.:D Best book i've read in an age actually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I am planning to re-read all the Harry Potter books in the near future. It supposedly defined the childhood of my generation, so I figure I should be as well up on it as possible. Especially since I kind of lost track of what was going on from about the 5th one on.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Mr Nice by Howard Marks, it even has a chapter dedicated to dope smuggling in Cork and Limerick.:D Best book i've read in an age actually.

He's now a DJ. Met him in a club last year, he looked stoned out of it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Behind Closed Doors

Thing bout Stalin's relationship with the West:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I just finished Looking For Alaska by John Green. <3

I might try and re-read Sophie's Choice. I read it when I was like 10, and got very, very lost. Might actually make some sense now...

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I retract my statement,you were right.

I don't often say this but:they really f*cked it up for the movie,completely missed the point of the book IMO.It still made a great film,just not a great film of this book.

I <3 the ending [well last 3 chapters specifically]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Mushy wrote: »
    Behind Closed Doors

Thing bout Stalin's relationship with the West:D

Got that for Christmas but have been saving it for mah Holidays this summer :pac:
    Looking forward to it, Laurence Rees' stuff is usually quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Of Mice and Men.What an achingly beautiful book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Of Mice and Men.What an achingly beautiful book!

Steinbeck is a HERO. <3
    Don't really like the Grapes Of Wrath, even though I was considering using it as one of my Comparative texts this year.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

The book that I won in the boards Christmas competition arrived today (:P) but it was a chick flick so I gave it to Mum instead. Reading is for nerds :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Just starting Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut.

Advertisement