Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Fad wrote: »
    Just starting Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut.
    I want to read that, its on my list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Fad wrote: »
    Just starting Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut.

It's pretty good. I also liked Cat's Cradle by him.

Don't ever attempt to read Timequake though.
    It's the most boring piece of **** I've ever seen, like to the extent that there literally isn't any plot or major events, I'm pretty sure he just set out to write the most boring, uneventful book ever just to see if the critics would still fellate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I'm coming to the end of The Picture of Dorian Gray. It's absolutely brilliant. I like books that project a different view of life, and Lord Henry certainly does this. I like debating with characters in my head :o
    I like the darkness of the story as well.

Frickin fantastic. I highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Jay P wrote: »
    I'm coming to the end of The Picture of Dorian Gray. It's absolutely brilliant. I like books that project a different view of life, and Lord Henry certainly does this. I like debating with characters in my head :o

That book has been sitting on my shelf forever, think I'll read it next due to your glowing reference :pac: :D

I'm reading American Pastoral by Philip Roth right now, really liking it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I started Catcher in the Rye last night. Not sure about it yet, but I definitely cannot understand why it was banned.
    Finally finished this. I kind of dropped it for about a fortnight because I was too tired by the time I was ready to read.

I really liked it. My similarities to Holden scared me at times. :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 owned

I'm reading Breaking Dawn, written by Stephenie Meyer. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Just finished False Memory by Dean Koontz....took a while to get through. Having read 35+ of his books now they are getting far too predictable!

I bought catcher in the rye so might read that next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Halfway through The Bell Jar now, I'm not really enjoying it as much as I thought I would :/ .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. Quite like it so far anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Jay P wrote: »

I recommend ANYTHING Oscar Wilde :) he's amazing :) especially his stories for children.

I started The Lovely Bones the other day. It's reeeeeally good. But something really severe (Anyone who knows the plot will know what I mean)
    I knew the girl was murdered but I never knew she'd been raped
    and it happened so soon into the book, it kinda caught me off guard. I like that though as usually my mind can see ten pages ahead of my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Just finished The road by cormac McCarthy.Bit of a slow starter but once you get in a bit it really is hard to put down.I really like how it doesn't really explain what has happened that leads to the situation that the main characters find themselves in.It just gives you some flashbacks from the fathers past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Pendulum of War: The Three Battles of El Alamein by Niall Barr

Always found WW2 an interesting subject, don't know why though :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I finished Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Piccoult the other day, enjoyed it quite a bit.

Going to re-read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I bought catcher in the rye so might read that next.

Finally finished this the other day! It's pretty good.. I'm sure I'll read it in a few years and appreciate it a bit more. Is it time to read "Tuesdays with Morrie" yet? I've always been told to wait but it's in my room... :)

Started "How the Mind Works" by Steven Pinker. Absolutely brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

"50 Economics Ideas You Have To Know."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Just finished The Story of Forgetting by Stefan Merrill Block, and about to start The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, hoping its as good as everyone says it is..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Just finished The Story of Forgetting by Stefan Merrill Block, and about to start The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, hoping its as good as everyone says it is..
    It is!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Started reading Catcher in the Rye.....I'm only a few chapters in but it all seems a bit underwhelming so far. Hopefully it'll get better.
    Maybe it's the type of book you're supposed to read as an angsty teen (as opposed to semi-angsty twenteen)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

I got the most beautiful hardback of Great Expectations in Chapters for €4. It's gorgeous, red hardback with gold design in the front. <3 pretty old books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Just finished The road by cormac McCarthy.Bit of a slow starter but once you get in a bit it really is hard to put down.I really like how it doesn't really explain what has happened that leads to the situation that the main characters find themselves in.It just gives you some flashbacks from the fathers past.
    It's quite powerful... a bit depressing, even. But I kind of thought that the ending was a bit out of place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Went to the aul library today and picked up the following:

A biography of Kurt Cobain
    The Man in the High Castle
    Child 44
    Dublin 1916 book (can't remember the name at the moment)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm currently reading The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold. It's not rocking my world.

Transition - Iain Banks
    The Salmon of Doubt - Douglas Adams
    One other whose name I can't remember - I picked it up from the library on a whim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

bmimg_30233_9780495391845.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Reading Never Let Me Go at Piste's recommendation, really nicely paced, well written, generally brilliant book.

Dont want it to end :(

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Romeo and Juliet :)

Further Chess Ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Redlion wrote: »
    Went to the aul library today and picked up the following:

A biography of Kurt Cobain

Is that the book of his diary extracts?
    It's interesting enough,reading first hand what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jamdonut

Im reading "The Help" its amazing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Take A Chance On Me - Jill Mansell

Advertisement