Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

The God Delusion. Coz I is all intellekshual nd stuff.....

I'm hoping this will be a good read and that Dawkins actually has good points that are convincingly put forward, and that it's not just a case of "Religion - LOL. Oh aren't militant atheists the most superior people in the world. Oh mercy!" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mcginleyireland

Finally got around to finishing "And Another Thing". It was rapped up nicely, but did take a while to get into. Might be a good idea to read over "Mostly Harmless". All in all it was fun, but not as fun as mostly harmless. In the other books there was a character that I loved like Marvin the depressed robot. I was reading the book hoping Random would be a loveable character.

I have Eoin Colfer's new book from the Artemis Fowl series released on the 20th this month. It better be good. If that fails I still have "Rumo" to read by Walter Moers. By far my favourite writer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumo_and_His_Miraculous_Adventures
    EDIT: Also, forgot to talk about Christopher Paolini. He owes me a fourth book.
    http://www.alagaesia.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

The God Delusion. Coz I is all intellekshual nd stuff.....

I'm hoping this will be a good read and that Dawkins actually has good points that are convincingly put forward, and that it's not just a case of "Religion - LOL. Oh aren't militant atheists the most superior people in the world. Oh mercy!" :rolleyes:

It's a lot better than that TV show I saw him do.
    I still found there was a lot of times I thought he could do way better, and/or he seemed to skip over obvious points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Predictably Irrational, by Dan Ariely. I'm nearly finished it now, really enjoyed it and found it fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. Aaargh! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I finished Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult lastnight and dismorning I started A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce. I'm finding it very interesting and I enjoy reading it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    I finished Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult lastnight and dismorning I started A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce. I'm finding it very interesting and I enjoy reading it. :D

I absolutely love Jodi Picoult. <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

"White Tiger" Great insight into the modern day caste system in India

The Lovely Bones - Alice Seobold.

Whopper Book.

I started that and after about 3 chapters.......yawn:(

The Secret scripture by Sebastian Barry.:D:)

• Advertisement

undoubtedly the best love story I ever read was "Wuthering Heights " by Emily Bronte. I've read it twice in my lifetime & intend reading it once more. C'mon lads what great love stories made an unforgettable impression on you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

undoubtedly the best love story I ever read was "Wuthering Heights " by Emily Bronte. I've read it twice in my lifetime & intend reading it once more. C'mon lads what great love stories made an unforgettable impression on you?

The Notebook, by Nicholas Sparks.
    The Pact, by Jodi Picoult.

Novella wrote: »
    The Notebook, by Nicholas Sparks.
    The Pact, by Jodi Picoult.

I saw the notebook film with James Garner & whats her name. Unforgettable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I'm reading the Stand at the moment. It's a very good book. First Stephen King I've read actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Just a few pages of Lolita left:)

I'm really enjoying it. I had heard how difficult a read it was, but it's not difficult at all. Sure, there's elaborate language, but it's not overly so.

Next, I can't decide between The Rules of Attraction or Brave New World. Decisions decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

I raided A_Neurotics books and I'm now reading Catch 22.

Slight bit confusing but getting into it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

The Sookie Stackhouse series (True Blood) = Really entertaining , highly addictive.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett.. Wow an incredible book , I think its being made into a movie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

Recently finished The Suspicions of Mr Whicher by Kate Summerscale. Its a true crime detective book documenting the grisly murder of a young child from a wealthy family in England in the mid 1800's and how the detective solved the murder. The book gives a good insight in to the detective profession in its infancy. Summerscale to her credit meticulously researched for this book and it really shows as it is as easy to read as a novel. The detectives story doesn't turn out as planned which is interesting but i won't reveal anymore as it would give away too much.

Found a copy of Playboy of the Western World at home and read it. While for the most part i found it quite dated i did find the point of glorifying murder and crime to be an interesting concept which is very much still relevant to the present day.

I am now half way through Barack Obama's Audacity of Hope. I'm finding it interesting enough although i wouldn't really recommend it unless you are a politics nerd like me. In fairness to him he seems to have stuck with a lot of his principles and ideas now that he has got into presidential office. Reformed healthcare system and town hall meetings being two examples

Also bought a few books on the cheap lately. I have recently acquired War and Peace, The Road and No Country for Old Men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

on friday i read 'hard evidence' by mark pearson
    on saturday i read 'blood work' by mark pearson
    sunday i read ' death row' by mark pearson

on monday i started reading the girl with the dragon tattoo and im loving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

I'm about to start Michael Collins' biography. Kinda looks like a tough read, but it should be interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I'm about to start Michael Collins' biography. Kinda looks like a tough read, but it should be interesting!

The Tim Pat Coogan one? You're right, it can get tough in places but persevere! It's worth it. A brilliant read, he was such a fascinating man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

ohthebaby wrote: »
    The Tim Pat Coogan one? You're right, it can get tough in places but persevere! It's worth it. A brilliant read, he was such a fascinating man.

That's the one! Yeah I can't wait to read it, I love that bit of Irish history!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

just downloaded (for my e-reader)

the girl who played with fire and
    the girl who kicked the hornets nest

finished the girl with the dragon tattoo last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

just downloaded (for my e-reader)

the girl who played with fire and
    the girl who kicked the hornets nest

finished the girl with the dragon tattoo last night.

:O

BUT DUMBLEDORE DEFEATED YOU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

:O

BUT DUMBLEDORE DEFEATED YOU

Yes, but
    Voldemort killed him
    ;)

No he didn't! SILLYHEAD.

You just failed. And lost the game. And you should feel bad.

I'm not silly :(

Of course you're not.

And perhaps I misunderstood you. Did you mean him or him?

Yeah, I just realised I wasn't very clear. I was talking about Grindelwald.

• Advertisement

You're back in the game! With gusto <3

Advertisement