Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭OopsyDaisy

Just finished reading The Reader...not sure if I liked it or not :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

A trip to Eason's gives me:

The Novice

The High Lord
    Both by Trudie Canavan,both in the Black magician trilogy,I liked the first book,but it's years since I read it.Good books though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

A trip to Eason's gives me:

The Novice

The High Lord
    Both by Trudie Canavan,both in the Black magician trilogy,I liked the first book,but it's years since I read it.Good books though

Read all three of them , funny just before I looked at your post I had a flick through my hardback of The Novice :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

seanbmc wrote: »
    Read all three of them , funny just before I looked at your post I had a flick through my hardback of The Novice :P
    I have the first one and read it ages ago.I'll see how the rest of the series turns out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭OopsyDaisy

I've just started The Book Thief, thanks to the IRC :D

I'm not very far into it, maybe read to page 100 or so? I really like it so far though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Wuthering Heights......... still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Keep at it, it's a fantastic book :)

I'm reading "The Lost Symbol"- that new Dan Brown book. It's so good! I stayed up so late reading it last night and the night before. Can't wait to finish it when I get home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    Just a few pages of Lolita left:)

I'm really enjoying it. I had heard how difficult a read it was, but it's not difficult at all. Sure, there's elaborate language, but it's not overly so.

Next, I can't decide between The Rules of Attraction or Brave New World. Decisions decisions

Rules of Attraction! Om nom nom Bret Easton Ellis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Finished Never Let Me Go and Sluaghterhouse 5, then read Life After God by Douglas Coupland, which was brilliant but not the happiest book I've ever read.

Just started After Dark by Haruki Murakami.

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    Finished Never Let Me Go

What did you think of it? I really enjoyed it, my sister thought it was rubbish though. It'll be interesting to see how the film version ends up.

Piste wrote: »
    What did you think of it? I really enjoyed it, my sister thought it was rubbish though. It'll be interesting to see how the film version ends up.

Really really liked it, the ending while not exactly surprising, was kinda sad :(

The trailer makes it look brilliant, but even the differences between things from the trailer and the book kinda annoyed me, so I'm not sure I'll like it that much. I'll definitely go see it though!

Must check out some more of his books.

Thanks a million for posting about it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Tom Holland's narrative histories are eating my time.

Who knew the Dark Ages could be so interesting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Finished Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (not the Peep Show guy). Overall it was good, brilliant in places, but it dragged now and then. Spent way too much time on it though. /o\

Reading 31 Songs by Nick Hornby at the minute. Ruddy good so far. Got through a hundred pages in about two hours, it's very easy to read but smart and funny at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

In the middle of reading The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, it puts forward an incredibly well-researched and super-serious-not-at-all-taking-the-piss-out-of-the-Kansas-educational-system argument for the existence of an Intelligent Designer.

It also explains such phenomena as gravity and global warming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I'm reading Sherlock Holmes: the Complete Stories, its really awesome. On hold for my exams but I can't wait to get back to it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Pygmalion wrote: »
    global warming.

It's all relative to the number of pirates!
    True story.

I'm slowly reading Tender Is The Night by F. Scott Fitzegerald. Loving it so far, but I read too slowly to get into it properly :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

It's all relative to the number of pirates!
    True story.

You clearly know your science.

Finished After Dark by Haruki Murakami, a bit of the way through Books v Cigarettes by George Orwell (Its a collection of essays written by him about books and the literary trade, just saw it in a shop one day and thought it sounded interesting, it's really good).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Meandering my way through the Wheel of Time series... Not even half way yet. Also got Forrest Griffin's book, looks hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Roald Dahl's The Witches. It's still awesome.

Meandering my way through the Wheel of Time series... Not even half way yet. Also got Forrest Griffin's book, looks hilarious.

When you reach the most recent book, your mind will be blown, before being rebuilt even better than before. *nods*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Perfume by Patrick Suskind. It's awesome, and not like anything I read normally but I'm getting through it so slooooowly for some reason...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Read On The Road by Jack Kerouac a while ago, made me wanna go travelling across America and befriend a load of amiable oddballs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭ToasterSparks

First-Lords-Fury-final-front.jpg

Just finished this. Book 6 of 6. Loved it. If you're into some magic and swords, it's good. It's got a Roman-Empire-esque feel to it, and doesn't have unpronounceable names and elves and dwarves. It has other races of beings, but unique ones done very well. The magic style is good. The characters are really, really good and you'll warm to them - even the baddies (the sign of a great book).

Try the first book - Furies of Calderon. You won't regret it!

When you reach the most recent book, your mind will be blown, before being rebuilt even better than before. *nods*
    I'm now on book 6, hopefully I'll get there before college starts. :)

On another note, Forrest Griffin's book was awesome, but the man is definitely insane! No hyperbole either, I mean "should be locked up" insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Three_Gardens_of_the_Moon.jpg
    Best fantasy series of all time, no doubts about it. Sci-fi/Fantasy authors tend to agree too, which is rare.

Tragedy wrote: »
    Three_Gardens_of_the_Moon.jpg
    Best fantasy series of all time, no doubts about it. Sci-fi/Fantasy authors tend to agree too, which is rare.

I mean to get onto those when I'm done with the Wheel of Time. I can't imagine they are a patch on A Song Of Ice And Fire, though. Nothing I've read in the genre has come anywhere near that series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I mean to get onto those when I'm done with the Wheel of Time. I can't imagine they are a patch on A Song Of Ice And Fire, though. Nothing I've read in the genre has come anywhere near that series.
    A Song Of Ice And Fire is the work of a child compared to The Malazan Book of the Fallen series, genuinely. It isn't a patch on it in any way.

• Advertisement

Tragedy wrote: »
    A Song Of Ice And Fire is the work of a child compared to The Malazan Book of the Fallen series, genuinely. It isn't a patch on it in any way.

I read one of the Malazan Book of the Fallen Series. I didn't really enjoy it. For me, A Song of Fire and Ice is the best fantasy series I've read. I will say that the other series is original, and could easily be called epic, but my opinion is that A Song of Fire and Ice is better.

Advertisement