Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Novella wrote: »
    I have it, if you wanna borrow it? I could bring it next Friday and give it to you! :)

That would be absolutely wonderful, thank youuuuu! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Finally started reading this today:

at-home-a-short-history-of-private-life.jpg

So far, so good. Just as in A Short History of Nearly Everything, it's full of fascinating little anecdotes and historical character profiles. Love it.

Ohh, really want to read that. I've been eyeing it up for weeks. Though I should probably read A Short History of Nearly Everything. There are just too many books to read!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    Ohh, really want to read that. I've been eyeing it up for weeks. Though I should probably read A Short History of Nearly Everything. There are just too many books to read!
    I read that a few years back.. It's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

BREATHE DAMN YOU BREATHE, DON'T YOU DIE ON ME!

I have a Bill Bryson book I read a few pages of before leaving down, Notes On A Small Island I think it's called. Couldn't get into it for some reason.

I've just finished Walden by Henry D. Thoreau. It's a transcendentalist (picture hippies, but from the 19th century and with suits.) book about leading a simple, self-sufficient life- returning to nature, and being outside the loop of governmental processes. Kind of current, and certainly interesting.

I have to say, I dislike university for a lot of reasons, but I love all the books we're introduced to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I have a Bill Bryson book I read a few pages of before leaving down, Notes On A Small Island I think it's called. Couldn't get into it for some reason.

I bought that in a second hand bookshop for like €2 or something, haven't got around to reading it yet. A Short History of Nearly Everything is a fantastic book, so I'm hoping that one will live up to it.

Almost finished The God Delusion, have about 20 pages or so left to read tonight. Then I'm going to read Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. I wanted to read something by Joyce and that one looked the least scarily intimidating!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I read a few stories from The Dubliners and I didn't think much of them at all tbh. There was nothing provocative or engaging, they were just terribly boring stories. Still, I hope to conquer Ulysses some day, might leave it for ten or twenty years though. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Then I'm going to read Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. I wanted to read something by Joyce and that one looked the least scarily intimidating!

Dubliners is a pretty good starter book Joyce-wise, it's much simpler than POTAAAYM (good acronym eh?), which is kind of the beginning of his stream of conciousness stuff. Both are very readable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

The Lost World...

Only started it, but if its anything like Jurassic Park.. I will be in love all over again :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Finished Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides. I cried my way through it, beautifully written book.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

The Death and Life of Charlie St Cloud.... I cried numerous times, it is brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

I'm re-reading The Inheritance Cycle, forgot how into them I get. Can't wait for the fourth book to be released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

freakonomics.gif?w=600

Nearly finished it now though. Great book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I'm re-reading The Inheritance Cycle, forgot how into them I get. Can't wait for the fourth book to be released.

I fricken love those books! I knew I couldn't be the only one :P I can't find my copy of Eragon though. Pooey.

I bought and read all 6 Scott Pilgrim books/graphic novels/whatever this week, and they were brilliant. Well worth the €40 investment! I absolutely loved the movie, but it was nothing compared to the books.

And I'm about halfway through Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It's strange to say the least, but it's brilliant. Highly entertaining.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

51fdz6hP3pL._SL500_.jpg

Loving them just as much as I did ten years ago :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Finished this yesterday:
    19.jpg

Rereading this:
    sandman-vol-1-preludes-nocturnes-neil-gaiman-paperback-cover-art.jpg

Starting this today:
    wheel_of_time.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Just finished Columbine by Dave Cullen, one of the best books I have EVER read. You loose a bit of faith in humanity though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKdSGcvd62nT_sasfBqigwXdI2quxrGcRpfRskJpo4xMCAT4o&t=1&usg=__s_Gl8-4fXjKp0uQpYO4T7FKmndc=

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTm6Vfrkvs4pdCE3me86P2gnsaM7iN8OcJFr3U0FMwb2Jpq3fg&t=1&usg=__sPzP9aysiWqszUAZhmUedp8WfzI=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Started Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series after thoroughly enjoying Elantris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

%7B5B620993-E006-4569-BC7E-9668A0CD2092%7DImg100.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

Jay P wrote: »
    I fricken love those books! I knew I couldn't be the only one :P I can't find my copy of Eragon though. Pooey.

I bought and read all 6 Scott Pilgrim books/graphic novels/whatever this week, and they were brilliant. Well worth the €40 investment! I absolutely loved the movie, but it was nothing compared to the books.

And I'm about halfway through Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It's strange to say the least, but it's brilliant. Highly entertaining.

I can't find my copy of Eragon either so I just started with Eldest. I had to google Angela's predeictions because I couldn't remember what she said and they kept referencing it. Just finished Brisinger. I kind of wish I had of waited until the fourth book was released though, I feel like I need to know what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Just finished reading Digital Fortress by Dan Brown, and I read Deception Point by Dan Brown just before that. Both amazing books. Dan Brown is the most amazing author! All of his books are on top of my favourite book list. I just wish he would hurry up and write more :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

eVeNtInE wrote: »

Its probably my favourite book. I need to read more of Orwells stuff I've only read that and Animal Farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Just finished Columbine by Dave Cullen, one of the best books I have EVER read. You loose a bit of faith in humanity though!

I've read it twice at this stage. It really is a disturbing case. I've been interested in this story for years. I remember I was in California in June 1999 at age eleven, less than two months after it happened and one of the things I remember is the widespread panic it caused amongst parents. My aunt was weary of letting her kids out of her sight. There was a school just down the road too. Parents walking their kids to schools in large groups all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

l9781847248480.jpg

Not far in, occasionally a bit unsettling in ways that have nothing to do with vampires...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Critical_Mass.png

Critical Mass by Philip Ball. It started off slow but it's getting much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

I'm reading a lot of John Irving at the moment.. Read Cider House Rules, A Prayer for Owen Meany and I've just finished The World according to Garp this morning.

They're all really funny but ridiculously sad at the same time!:o Just absolutely brilliant :)

Reading "Quants" at the moment by Scott Patterson. It's about how people bring down markets and such things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I'm reading a lot of John Irving at the moment.. Read Cider House Rules, A Prayer for Owen Meany and I've just finished The World according to Garp this morning.

They're all really funny but ridiculously sad at the same time!:o Just absolutely brilliant :)

Love Irving! A Prayer for Owen Meany is one of my favourite books ever... it inspired the lyrics to one of my favourite songs, which is how I first heard of Irving. Om nom nom.

Advertisement