Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Love Irving! A Prayer for Owen Meany is one of my favourite books ever... it inspired the lyrics to one of my favourite songs, which is how I first heard of Irving. Om nom nom.

Ya, there was a special offer on his books over the summer in Easons so I bought them all up! Ya I love that book too.. I love the bit where they do the nativity and Owen's baby Jesus.. Absolutely hilarious:D Aw man...I didn't know there was a song! and it's called Goodbe Sky Harbour... *weeps*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Just finished reading Digital Fortress by Dan Brown, and I read Deception Point by Dan Brown just before that. Both amazing books. Dan Brown is the most amazing author! All of his books are on top of my favourite book list. I just wish he would hurry up and write more :P

I agree with you on this love those books :D

I've finished these two books in the past 2 weeks really enjoyed them...

Joyce's Kaleidoscope: An Invitation to Finnegans Wake
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKNrmJhoKhpV74mNRAJ1pXX44AamfR3h7aCU8Ptv3PjQxMScUJ

The Twilight Phenomenon by Nicola Bardola
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREKOp3rvR6Y-s1DC-2p9eaYE50G2rZdHWBzNqmk9exVegHBi9E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭BCC4LYFE

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

BCC4LYFE wrote: »
    readin is only 4 losers with no life and no friends or for kids or for an old person who lives in and old folks home why would you be sitting down with a book wasting your life when u cud be out gettin lockd or scoring brds

Yeah, because trollin' on the Internet is soooo much cooler...

*yawns*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

The Picture of Dorian Gray.. Oscar Wilde.. for college.. :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I read Persepolis again at the weekend, it's brilliant! It's a graphic novel based on the author's experiences growing up during the revolution in Iran :) Okay, I know that I might have made it sound a bit dull there, but it's not :pac:

I'm going to be doing another graphic novel, Maus, next semester for English - about the Holocaust. Can't wait to start it! I have so many books I need to read though; I tend to buy them and then leave them around my room for ages before they get looked at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I finished V for Vendetta last night, loved it but unfortunately I don't think I'll ever be able to enjoy the film properly again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Lawliet wrote: »
    I finished V for Vendetta last night, loved it but unfortunately I don't think I'll ever be able to enjoy the film properly again

Happens a lot ;_;.
    I think Watchmen is one of the few films that was as good as (maybe even better than) the book, awful ending in the book, the film's one was so much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

cork*girl wrote: »

I take it you're in 1st arts in ucc, nobody seemed to read that when we supposed to. :D

Reading Stephen King's Under the Dome at the moment. Enjoying it at the moment but doesn't match up to his earlier stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I bought an old, pretty copy of Tolstoy's War and Peace today. It's a leviathan task ahead of me, but I'm gonna troop on through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭The_D_Man

IT by Stephen King, gargantuan size of a book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Started reading The Posionwood Bible. About 80 or so pages in. Pretty good so far; I had high expectations seeing as my Mam told me it was one of the best books she ever read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Jay P wrote: »
    I bought an old, pretty copy of Tolstoy's War and Peace today. It's a leviathan task ahead of me, but I'm gonna troop on through.

well worth it. The first eighty pages will prove very tough, think it took me a week to get through that, but it's smooth sailing afterwards. Pierre and Prince Andrei are two of the most complex and most engaging characters ever created.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

cork*girl wrote: »
    Aw, do you not like it? It's one of my favourite books ever, must buy it actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Did somebody say Leviathan? Because Im reading this little beauty at the moment-Its excellent.

a459601f-7391-4674-9a7d-c8512ddcddba.jpg

Did somebody say Leviathan? Because Im reading this little beauty at the moment-Its excellent.

a459601f-7391-4674-9a7d-c8512ddcddba.jpg

I bought and started that, but just couldn't get into it no matter how hard I tried. I just dragged and dragged at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I bought and started that, but just couldn't get into it no matter how hard I tried. I just dragged and dragged at the start.

It gets better when they actually get on the ship. And when Ishmael can shut up about the history of whaling for a page or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Just finished A Farewell to Arms by Hemmingway, based on his WW1 experiences, mostly focusing on his time at the front as an ambulance driver, his convalescence in hospital and his relationship with a hospital worker. Started it ages ago but essays and exams forced me to put it down for a while so it got fairly dragged out, becoming a bit of a drag itself towards the end. It's very good, though, if very grim in places (especially towards the end, I was getting quite squirmy).
    Predictably tragic ending. :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

^Oh how I love Hemingway. <3

I'm reading Gone Baby Gone by Dennis Lehane and have A Confederacy Of Dunces by John
    Kennedy Toole lined up for when I finish it.

Monzo wrote: »
    well worth it. The first eighty pages will prove very tough, think it took me a week to get through that, but it's smooth sailing afterwards. Pierre and Prince Andrei are two of the most complex and most engaging characters ever created.

I'm about 50 pages in, and oh the names! There are so many, and it's so confusing. Though the book did come with a bookmark with the main characters as a reminder, but it's still hard not to get a bit lost. I really want to stick it out though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

6 hours on a bus from Dublin to Nenagh gave me ample reading time... finished Philip Pullman's The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ, which was a thought-provoking retelling of the whole... Jesus... thing.

Halfway through The Picture of Dorian Gray. So very foppish, but moving along nicely, and full of those Oscar Wilde one-liners.

Also started Stiff: The True Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. Entertaining and informative thus far, recommended to the other anatomists in C&H!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Currently reading The Posionwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. About 120 pages in, seems to be building up nicely to something big....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

With my New Years Resolution of getting back into reading I've just read this whole thread (I have no life)...savage stuff, can't wait to visit Easons now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Also started Stiff: The True Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. Entertaining and informative thus far, recommended to the other anatomists in C&H!

Lendsies when you're done?

I'm reading "The God of Small Things" by Arundhati Roy at the moment. Myself and a friend were discussing books recently (pretentious Trinity wankers), and she really recommended it to me.
    I was looking for something to read the other night, and decided to hack into one of the books I've had hoarded in my room since last Summer. Turns out I've had it beside my bed for the past few months, it was just unfortunate enough to be near the bottom of the pile. It's awesome, really really fantastic. Can see why she recommended it, go read it y'all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Got "The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundel Christ" yesterday so just starting that. I'll let ye know what i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

jedwards autobiography.

of course, it is fantastic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Great Read

1834-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I'm slowly working my way through the hitchhiker's guide trilogy of four.It's wonderfully odd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

eBooks are too convenient. Just went on a slight Amazon splurge...

Why Don't Penguins' Feet Freeze?: And 114 Other Questions (literary titan that I am)
    Dr Dale's Zombie Dictionary: The A-Z Guide to Staying Alive (...it was very cheap, shaddap)
    Brave New World
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
    The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (never going to read, but for God's sake it was 74p)
    Confessions of a GP
    Sick Notes: True Stories from the Front Lines of Medicine

Om nom nom month off to read...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Great Read

That is one of my absolute favourite books! <3 Must dig it out when I get a chance.

Advertisement