Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Reading 'Noughts & Crosses'. 200 pages in and it's a bit meh so far tbh, but hoping it will pick up. I suppose it's interesting anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

slow show wrote: »
    Reading 'Noughts & Crosses'. 200 pages in and it's a bit meh so far tbh, but hoping it will pick up. I suppose it's interesting anyway.

I liked that book but I found the sequels to be fairly pointless and meandering.

I liked that book but I found the sequels to be fairly pointless and meandering.

Aw, I'm gonna have to end up buying them anyway, cannot leave a series unfinished, no matter how I feel about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I finished The Tenant of Wildfell Hall about a week ago, and I'm planning on starting Bleak House soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Got "The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundel Christ" yesterday so just starting that. I'll let ye know what i think.

I've been thinking about this book more and more since I read it last week. It's gone up in my estimation since I finished it. I would now happily label it brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Embarked on one of my semi-regular expeditions through The Book Depository, added quite a substantial amount of cheap books to my wish list (despite amassing a collection of a dozen or so books that I already own but have yet to read). Franz Kafka short story collection for less than a fiver? Yes please! :D Also added are The Trial (Kafka novel), The Death of Bunny Munro (Nice Cave), Chronicles (Bob Dylan), The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Death of Ivan Ilyitch, 2666, a Salvador Dali paintings book, Ginsberg's Howl and other Poems, Waiting for Godot, The Good Man Jesus And The Scoundrel Christ (due to Neurotic's strong appraisal), Infinite Jest, and Things The Grandchildren Should Know (by Mark Oliver Everett of the Eels). Should make the four months of summer holidays more bearable. :D

Gonna order them once I return to college; that way my parents won't be able to object to a truckload of books coming in the post. \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

9780099471554.jpg

Think I'm falling in love with him.

Got two books of crosswords, "How to read music the right way", and the new slightly childish Artemis Fowl book to read/ponder. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this book more and more since I read it last week. It's gone up in my estimation since I finished it. I would now happily label it brilliant.
    My parents gave it to me for Christmas. Don't know what to think of it yet, it's very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Read a hundred pages of Hogfather in work on Christmas day, really like that book :D

Gonna go read more now! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The sequels are awfully disappointing. I loved first book, but Malorie Blackman just milked all the good out of her story after that.

I am currently reading a series I first read when I was eleven:

THE%20LAST%20VAMPIRE.JPG

The sequels are awfully disappointing. I loved first book, but Malorie Blackman just milked all the good out of her story after that.

My main problems with them were
    Callum who was my favourite was dead and there was nobody as compelling as him left in the story
    and also
    as the books went on the setting seemed to become less and less of a dystopia and the setting was eventually just England under a different name. All of the blatant and official racism of the first book seemed to be gone and therefore the books seemed fairly pointless.
    That and the storylines were just dull or silly. And shes written 3 sequels! I havnt even bothered with the most recent one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I've always meant to read the sequels of 'Noughts & Crosses' but now I don't think I'll bother. Huh, that frees me up a couple of weeks worth of reading time for other books.
    Efficiency!

I'm reading 'Angel' by L.A. Weatherly at the moment, which has an interesting premiss but unfortunately like every post Twilight fantasy novel aimed at young adults it has a romance shoe horned in. I mean come on Weatherly, you have a decent paranormal action-adventure plot here, lets not ruin it with feelings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Just finished "Nerd Do Well" by Simon Pegg(His autobiography) and it was very enjoyable. :)

Ah cool, don't think I'll bother with the sequels so, unless they end up being super cheap on the Book Depository, although Noughts & Crosses itself picked up very nicely. But at the same time, I always end up liking books most people think are terrible, actually tbh I like most books, I'm not a very picky reader at all, so I might stick with them.

Got a good few books to keep me going for the holidays anyway, and I'll probably order more when I'm finished and I'm off school again. Getting back into reading is a huge success so far. :)

Found a copy of Goodnight Mr Tom and thought I might start reading it.... Whats everyones opinion any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

Found a copy of Goodnight Mr Tom and thought I might start reading it.... Whats everyones opinion any good?

I read that for my JC and loved it. It's very sad and sappy though, but I througholy enjoyed it.

I've just started Emma O'Donoghue's "Room". It's the first book I've read in about a year. It's alright, sort of slow-moving though and the fact that it's written in the language of a five year old get verrry irritating after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

I love it, I read it first when I was about 11 and I still like to read it once in a while :) Quite sad in parts though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Read it in 6th Class and again for JC. I wasn't a massive fan but give it a lash. It isn't particularly long or cumbersome anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Just got Life of Pi free on my iPod, not bad not bad... iBooks are going to eat up my memory

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Almost finished The Poisonwood Bible (first 3/4 is brilliant, last bit is dragging on a little but still the novel as a whole is excellent.)

Going to read The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ next - got it myself ages ago but never got around to it. Since a few of you are raving about it here, I'll make it my next read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Just Garret: Tales from the Political Front Line by Garret Fitzgerald.
    I got it for Christmas. His autobiography took me ages to get through (by god, does he love detail!), but the man is a legend, so it's worth it.

Just started reading Lolita.

....Disturbing, to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

In the middle of Justin Bieber's new biography. Wow, so emotional :') i love that guy, musical hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

The very, very least. :)

Still a very entertaining read though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I still have to finish that actually. I mean it's so good but at the same time I'm reading like 'OH GOD!'

The very, very least. :)

Still a very entertaining read though.
    It's funnier than I thought it would be. Reading it is like watching a cute little child trip and fall; you really shouldn't laugh but you do anyway.
    Namlub wrote: »
    I still have to finish that actually. I mean it's so good but at the same time I'm reading like 'OH GOD!'

I know. The language is superb. And I only have the first 6 or so chapters read; long way to go yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I keep meaning to get a copy of Lolita but I'm always paranoid people will recognise the meme...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Don't know I posted already but I've been reading the first Harry Potter again. It's great!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Just finished a book called "Before I Die" by Jenny Downham. It's all about the suffering of a teenager who has Leukemia and the path leading up to her death.. It's extremely interesting, but so so sad.

Advertisement