Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Mollikins

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Just finished a book called "Before I Die" by Jenny Downham. It's all about the suffering of a teenager who has Leukemia and the path leading up to her death.. It's extremely interesting, but so so sad.

Oh I read that before. I think it made me cry at the end so be warned Noel! Oh wait you have it finished. Did you get tear-eyed too?

Guys just a quick question on the Book Depository. Do they take Laser cards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Mollikins wrote: »
    Oh I read that before. I think it made me cry at the end so be warned Noel! Oh wait you have it finished. Did you get tear-eyed too?

Yeah but it ended waaaaaaaaaay too fast!

Yeah but it ended waaaaaaaaaay too fast!

It's a while since I read it so I can't remember it really. Just remembered the name. Was her best friend pregnant or am I thinking of a completely different book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I have two things that should be delivered by tomorrow (I hope!!)
    38990.jpg
    living-dolls-lo-res.jpg

Got them quite cheap too, so that was great.

It's a while since I read it so I can't remember it really. Just remembered the name. Was her best friend pregnant or am I thinking of a completely different book?

Yup, exact same book! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Nope. :( I just got my Christmas money, discovered it, went on a mad spree and then realised they don't take Laser, and I keep forgetting to top up my 3v card. :o

Lolita looks really interesting, I'll have to try find it, and hopefully no one will think I'm a freak if they read the blurb/recognise the name. :p

I'm currently reading Assasin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb, because someone recommended it. It's moving really slow and I've been reading it for a few days and haven't even passed a hundred pages yet...really hoping it picks up soon so I can move on with my stack of books to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Just finished a book called "Before I Die" by Jenny Downham. It's all about the suffering of a teenager who has Leukemia and the path leading up to her death.. It's extremely interesting, but so so sad.

How's justin bieber's biography going for you actually? I might get it if it's worth the money after i finish off jedwards :)

How's justin bieber's biography going for you actually? I might get it if it's worth the money after i finish off jedwards :)

I had to stop reading, got way too emotional. Damn that boy has had it tough.

:') better get it so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Oh, and everyone should read the Kite Runner. Just do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

slow show wrote: »

Lolita looks really interesting, I'll have to try find it, and hopefully no one will think I'm a freak if they read the blurb/recognise the name. :p

Lolita is great, although I made the mistake of taking it to school with me last year...people found it a little odd. :p

Namlub I'm reading The Kite Runner atm, it's fabulous! Been meaning to read it for aaaaaaaaages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Are you being sarcastic or are you really reading the book? Not trying to be mean, I just genuinely can't tell :P

Ally7 wrote: »
    Are you being sarcastic or are you really reading the book? Not trying to be mean, I just genuinely can't tell :P

Does he actually have a biography?....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Namlub wrote: »
    Oh, and everyone should read the Kite Runner. Just do.

I have that in my pile! *moves to top*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

I wouldn't consider myself his biggest fan so I'm not sure!

Reading The Life of Pi at the moment, bit of a slow starter but I'll stick at it, seeing as it's highly praised by many here. Thinnk I'll see can I get my hands on The Kite Runner after, I was meaning to read it but forgot about it, thanks for the reminder almostnever/Namlub :)

ya :) he does for twenty quid actually.. Steep!!

slow show wrote: »
    Nope. :( I just got my Christmas money, discovered it, went on a mad spree and then realised they don't take Laser, and I keep forgetting to top up my 3v card. :o
    Ah feck. :(
    Well it's probably for the best actually. I have a major backlog as is so I don't really need to go buying any books. Have a few Jodi Picoult books to read atm. I just have to decide which one to start with!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Finally finished "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre.... actually a brilliant book, I'm sure I'll read it again if I do something science-y in college and I'd thoroughly recommend it!

Started "The God Delusion" again and hoping to get more than halfway next time. Dawkins in the opening says that he isn't any more "in your face" than a restaurant critic and that religion ought to be open to criticism like a restaurant.. but dang I found it hard to read last time. Seemed like every second line was ERGO GOD IS NOT REAL and reeked of superiority...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

wayhey wrote: »
    Started "The God Delusion" again and hoping to get more than halfway next time. Dawkins in the opening says that he isn't any more "in your face" than a restaurant critic and that religion ought to be open to criticism like a restaurant.. but dang I found it hard to read last time. Seemed like every second line was ERGO GOD IS NOT REAL and reeked of superiority...
    I'd recommend God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens, I find he's a lot easier to take than Dawkins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Lawliet wrote: »
    I'd recommend God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens, I find he's a lot easier to take than Dawkins.

IMO, (and this is from a fairly limited experience of both) Dawkins tends to attack the idea that there exists a God, in a fairly scientific way.
    Hitchens tends to focus more on the harm that faith tends to cause (a lot of focus on secular conflict/racism, for example)

Both are interesting reads. Admittedly they can both be a bit dickish in how they go about making their points, but the points they make are usually fairly interesting.

• Advertisement

I'd agree. Dawkins actually does a fairly good job in that he manages to cover pretty much every standard argument for God in one book, and refute them.

I found him quite easy to take because I found what he was saying to be quite obvious and self-apparent, whereas if you're somebody who has faith and would find it a challenge to reject your faith even if somebody was putting forth good arguments, you may see it as condescending. Maybe. That's my take on it.

Has anyone ever read Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut? It's not as bad as the title suggests and is actually an extremely moving story. You should also consider reading Breakfast of Champions afterwards. Right now I'm reading Inside Out, which was a last minute purchase after about 20 minutes staring at books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Has anyone ever read Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut? It's not as bad as the title suggests and is actually an extremely moving story. You should also consider reading Breakfast of Champions afterwards. Right now I'm reading Inside Out, which was a last minute purchase after about 20 minutes staring at books.

Yep, I have a bit of a thing for Kurt Vonnegut. :) His advice on how to write a short story is really helpful, usually I find any guides to creative writing a bit redundant and jaded but his checklist is spot on.

Yep, I have a bit of a thing for Kurt Vonnegut. :) His advice on how to write a short story is really helpful, usually I find any guides to creative writing a bit redundant and jaded but his checklist is spot on.

I've only read Cat's Cradle, Breakfast of Champions, Slaughterhouse Five and TimeQuake. Tried reading Hocus Pocus but found it a bit hit and miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

wayhey wrote: »
    Finally finished "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre.... actually a brilliant book, I'm sure I'll read it again if I do something science-y in college and I'd thoroughly recommend it!

I've got Bad Science around here somewhere. I never got around to reading it though. I'll probably give it a go when I start up in college again.

I read The God Delusion to around halfway three times before finally finishing it. I found it really difficult to get through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Lawliet wrote: »

I'd disagree there. Haven't read Hitchens' book but I find him absolutely insufferable, and representative about everything that's wrong with militant atheism.

Dawkins is a little arrogant but I find him much more tolerable and less sensationalist than Hitchens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I'd disagree there. Haven't read Hitchens' book but I find him absolutely insufferable, and representative about everything that's wrong with militant atheism.

Dawkins is a little arrogant but I find him much more tolerable and less sensationalist than Hitchens.
    Well I've never actually seen any of Hitchen's interviews so I don't know what he's like in real life. Your mileage may vary of course, but I just find him a lot more readable than Dawkins. I'd watch a documentary series with Dawkins in it no problem, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to read another one of his books.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I love Hitchens because hes so arrogant. Entertainment value is 90.

EDIT: Here he is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭TentCrasher

User guide of my Sony e-reader
    Damm you technology
    Think i be going back to old reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭beng128

Just finished Chickenhawk By Robert Mason, its a great account of his time in Vietnam as a helicopter pilot.

Before that i read Death at Intervals by José Saramago, some brilliant magic realism when death stops killing. It won the Nobel prize for literature, and it was a bit of a difficult read for me but would recommend it to everyone.

And before that, trainspotting, haven't seen the movie yet but can't wait. I can't imagine how it works as a film.

With all the talk of christianity parodies above i'm planning to read The Gospel According to Jesus Christ also by José Saramago.

Advertisement