Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

The Book Thief is a worthwhile book.

I lent it to a friend whose first language is not english, they found it a little difficult at first but their well into it now.

The Book Thief is one of my favourite books.

Reading The Number Mysteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Luckylaydee

I've read 'The Kite Runner', thought it was ok but his other book 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' was much better, really enjoyed it. I've also read the 'highlander' series by Diana Galbadon, fantasy/history/lovestory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I haven't been able to face back into War & Peace, it's just incredibly daunting, and I'm only about a sixth of the way through. I haven't looked at it in about a week and a half. *insert silly noise*

I kinda started reading The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat, but I'm afraid of committing to that and just leaving War & Peace to the side. Dunno what to do :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Jay P wrote: »
    I haven't been able to face back into War & Peace, it's just incredibly daunting, and I'm only about a sixth of the way through. I haven't looked at it in about a week and a half. *insert silly noise*

I kinda started reading The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat, but I'm afraid of committing to that and just leaving War & Peace to the side. Dunno what to do :o

Try to finish War & Peace, it's well worth the effort. Took me over a month to read a few years ago, but I was glad I did, it's fantastic.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Anyone ever read any of the Baroque Cycle? Hoping to get the first book for my birthday. Looks really good.

Downloaded a bunch of audiobooks. Think I'll start listening to the 7 habits of highly successful people first. And for actual reading, I'm just breezing through Bram Stoker's Dracula.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Spent the weekend reading, The Cutting, Sister and Book of Souls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I loved The Book Thief, its a lovely book. Its easily one of my favourites. I'm still on Kathy Reichs, mainly because I don't want to finish it before I have my next book and I think I'll have to finish it in one sitting, it'll be too exciting to put down.

I had been reading The Book of Dave which had seemed really interesting from what I had been told before I read it but I found it really underwhelming. Half of it is set in the future and while they don't all speak in text speak, its very similar to text speak and I hate having to pronounce nearly every other word in my head to figure out what it is. The book just didn't grab me, I didn't even finish it which is really rare for me. I normally finish a book even if I hate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Read "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown there over Christmas...it was the usual Dan Brownish novel (oh...two sticks and a camel....IT MEANS SAUDI ARABIA IS ABOUT TO BE INVADED BY THE US) and at the start it wasn't actually bad, and then the end of the main plot was shíte and
    just an anti-Star Wars type of thing...lame.

Also just finished "The Oh My God Delusion" which is the newest Ross O'Carroll-Kelly book, and it was brilliant! Was a great break from the usual thriller kinda crap I've been reading for the last while, and just an all-round funny yet not too OTT book. I'm definitely gonna read the rest of the series...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm halfway through Catch 22. Haven't been reading for the past few days, but it's very read-able so I reckon I'll have it finished soon.

In a Neurophysiology lecture today, the lecturer recommended we all read "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat". Verrrrrryyyy excited, as it's on my list-of-books-to-read and because so many people have praised it here. So, I bought it, and it's up next. Yay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I just finished The Book Thief. It's easily one of the, if not the best book I've ever read. Everyone, just read it. It's so emotional, not in a bawling crying sort of way, it's just...well...emotional. And my eyes were slightly damp by the end, which is quite a feat for me, being the robot I am.

I'm sad I'm finished now. Oh so brilliant.

Next book on my fantastic reading list to coincide with mocks crammage time: Wuthering Heights. I've never actually read the full version, and I'm looking forward to it although I probably won't start for a few days. I kinda need to do homework etc. every now and then. :o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

bythewoods wrote: »
    In a Neurophysiology lecture today, the lecturer recommended we all read "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat". Verrrrrryyyy excited, as it's on my list-of-books-to-read and because so many people have praised it here. So, I bought it, and it's up next. Yay!

I bought that today too! \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Neither of you will regret it, awesome read.

I bought The Black Swan. I've been interested in reading it for ages, but never got around to buying it. It's supposed to be excellent, and I think the wiki article I linked there gives a decent idea of what it's about. It sounds like the sort of thing a few people here might enjoy. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

jumpguy wrote: »
    Also just finished "The Oh My God Delusion" which is the newest Ross O'Carroll-Kelly book, and it was brilliant! Was a great break from the usual thriller kinda crap I've been reading for the last while, and just an all-round funny yet not too OTT book. I'm definitely gonna read the rest of the series...

Easily the best series of books I've read.
    You'll need a support belt to keep your belly from falling off while you laugh at the three earliest books!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

I did a presentation on The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat not so long ago. Excellent book, funny and a little heartbreaking at times. Getting my results back this week actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Just finished Room by Emma Donoghue, fantastic book. It's heartbreaking at times, but so uplifting too in the way a lot of the story is told. Highly recommended. Next is either The Book Thief or Sebastian Faulks' Birdsong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Slow Show wrote: »
    I just finished The Book Thief. It's easily one of the, if not the best book I've ever read. Everyone, just read it. It's so emotional, not in a bawling crying sort of way, it's just...well...emotional. And my eyes were slightly damp by the end, which is quite a feat for me, being the robot I am.

I'm sad I'm finished now. Oh so brilliant.

Next book on my fantastic reading list to coincide with mocks crammage time: Wuthering Heights. I've never actually read the full version, and I'm looking forward to it although I probably won't start for a few days. I kinda need to do homework etc. every now and then. :o

You make me feel bad about my lack of reading. I'm going to start Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis tonight to make up for it. Then I think I might make an attempt at War & Peace. *brave*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Just finished Room by Emma Donoghue, fantastic book. It's heartbreaking at times, but so uplifting too in the way a lot of the story is told. Highly recommended.

I actually hated that book. Read it last Summer-ish and just really thought it was crap. Which is a shame, because I liked other stuff by Emma O Donoghue before, "Slammerkin" in particular.

My friend handed me "The Diving Bell and The Butterfly" earlier, and even though I'm halfway through Catch 22 and have piles of books to read, I started it on the Luas home. Unbelievably good. Almost finished it too, it's an absolute doddle to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

bythewoods wrote: »
    I actually hated that book. Read it last Summer-ish and just really thought it was crap. Which is a shame, because I liked other stuff by Emma O Donoghue before, "Slammerkin" in particular.
    Me too, the whole child narrator got annoying really quickly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Just finished up with Fun Home. It was incredible, like my life but in book form!! I cried my way through it, absolutely brilliant book.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Read Heart of Darkness the other night. Absolutely brilliant book.

Read Heart of Darkness the other night. Absolutely brilliant book.

I started that a few years ago and couldn't get myself past the first chapter.
    Is it worth me going back and trying again?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Finished Eat Pray Love last week, didn't really enjoy it too much as I was reading it, but I enjoy thinking back on the messages and lessons from the book now...

Reading Catch Me If You Can now. Love it.

I have Pride and Prejudice lined up next. I got it in a vintage book store in Camden Town. I was going to buy a 100 year old copy of Peter Pan but I didn't have room in my bag :(

I started that a few years ago and couldn't get myself past the first chapter.
    Is it worth me going back and trying again?

I had the same happen to me before but once I got a bit further in, I enjoyed it a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Finished Eat Pray Love last week, didn't really enjoy it too much as I was reading it, but I enjoy thinking back on the messages and lessons from the book now...

Reading Catch Me If You Can now. Love it.

I have Pride and Prejudice lined up next. I got it in a vintage book store in Camden Town. I was going to buy a 100 year old copy of Peter Pan but I didn't have room in my bag :(
    Never got around to reading "Pride & Prejudice & Zombies" now that I think of it.

Wuthering Heights is hard work so far...but I shall persevere anyway, it's meant to be worth it.

My stack is getting a lot smaller. :( I'm gonna have to work on that before the mid-term.

Started reading Lady Chatterleys Lover for college. It seems very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Reading The God Delusion, tried to read it before, did not have the time, I'm going to force myself to read more!

Gonna try and have a pattern of reading a fun-ish book, and then read something that's not quiet so fun.

I finished Hogfather then moved onto this, and I'm going to read Will Grayson Will Grayson after this!

Finished Wuthering Heights today, I for one thought it was very good >.>

I'm gonna start The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo tomorrow...I should probably leave it till after the mocks but meh, life's too short etc. etc, I don't want to post here about all the textbooks I'm reading instead. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky,

Advertisement