Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I bought A Clockwork Orange today.

Think I'll start into it after Tender Is The Night, and then have a crack at Trainspotting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Started and read Will Grayson Will Grayson (John Green & David Levithan) this weekend, was absolutely brilliant.

Starting The Bell Jar now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Hoping to find some stuff by Ray Kurzweil soon to read after Quicksilver. He's an American futurist guy who writes a lot about artificial technology, technological singularity and transhumanism. It's something I've been interested in for a while and I'm looking at links between it and the course I'm doing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Started Brave New World yesterday. I do love a good dystopia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Bump...

I just finished The Bell Jar today, really interesting read. I think it may have sort of changed my life, or at least made me see the world differently.

Next is The Great Gatsby, I've had it lying around forever but I'm just gonna start and finish it, it's pretty short anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Slow Show wrote: »
    Bump...

I just finished The Bell Jar today, really interesting read. I think it may have sort of changed my life, or at least made me see the world differently.

Next is The Great Gatsby, I've had it lying around forever but I'm just gonna start and finish it, it's pretty short anyway.

I read both of those in 2010. "The Bell Jar" is one I will definitely read again. :)

Bought two Irish books second-hand today. One is a very modern novel called "Hurlamaboc", by Éilis Ní Dhuibhne. I studied it back in First Year, but never read it... >_>

The other is the classic Irish satire, "An Béal Bocht" by Myles Na gCopaleen/Flann O'Brien/Brien O'Nolan. I read the first two chapters as soon as I got it. I can say with absolute honesty it's the funniest thing I've read since the early Ross O'Carroll-Kelly books. Genius. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

I bought The Book Thief yesterday having become fed up of hearing from everyone who absolutely loves the book.
    So far I can confirm that was an excellent purchase.

EDIT: Also, Vibes & Scribes in Cork is such an amazing bookshop. I spent a while in there yesterday picking up a few things for a few people (including a copy of Moby Dick for my father, but I do intend to read it and will probably have it read before he does). Maybe I just have a biased opinion of bookshops that play Elbow albums while I shop there, but it's a lovely place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Colm! wrote: »
    I bought The Book Thief yesterday having become fed up of hearing from everyone who absolutely loves the book.

My mom has been nagging me for months to read it, I suppose I should give it a try! Could you give me an idea what it's about without spoiling it? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

girlfriend-in-a-coma.jpg
    Its really good!:D

I read the first 20 pages of this and gave up, not worth the paper its written on
    book-movieedition.jpg

Colm! wrote: »

I think that's my favourite book ever, or at least in the top five. :)

And I'm leaving The Great Gatsby for another day, and I started The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson. I heard it's even better than its predecessor, so it should be good. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Catch-22, over and over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

After about a year I think I might soon finally finish The Age of Extremes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Bought two Irish books second-hand today. One is a very modern novel called "Hurlamaboc", by Éilis Ní Dhuibhne.
    We read an extract of that in Irish recently. The chapter about Lísin demonstrating her falseness.
    I read the first 20 pages of this and gave up, not worth the paper its written on
    book-movieedition.jpg
    Finished the 2nd half of Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis yesterday after having abandoned it about a month ago. Texts from the library inspired me to pick it up (and finish it) yesterday. Returned it today and found that they had "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Heirloom Edition" with 30% more zombies than the non-heirloom Zombie edition. Needless to say, I took it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Just started A Clockwork Orange this morning. Finished reading Andre Agassi's autobiography 'Open' yesterday, which was actually pretty good!

Went into the college library during the week with the intention of taking out The Diving Bell and the Butterfly but ended up just reading it all between studying while i was there (it's very short:p).

Also read The Bell Jar recently which I really liked. I've started The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat as well but finding it hard to get through for some reason, I want to read it though so I'm going to stick it out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

The other is the classic Irish satire, "An Béal Bocht" by Myles Na gCopaleen/Flann O'Brien/Brien O'Nolan. I read the first two chapters as soon as I got it. I can say with absolute honesty it's the funniest thing I've read since the early Ross O'Carroll-Kelly books. Genius. :)

*Does the "He's my Great Uncle Dance"*

Reading a book about Alan Turing called The Man Who Knew Too Much, which is a bit meh so far, too much speculating about who he might have had sex with.....

Reading Erewhon by Samuel Butler.

The opening chapters are a little laborious but now that the character has finally stumbled upon 'no where', things are finally beginning to get interesting, albeit very bizarre but what can you expect from a satire, I suppose. I'm enjoying the steady pace in which the book is written and it's always fun seeing how words have developed over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Slow Show wrote: »

The Bell Jar is my most favourite book ever. I felt exactly the way you described after I read it too.

<3 that book, it's so funny! You should read At Swim-Two-Birds by him too if you get a chance.
    Fad wrote: »
    *Does the "He's my Great Uncle Dance"*

:eek: Seriously?

I finished The Circling Song by Nawal El Saddawi yesterday. It was confusing, to put it mildly :/ Now on to Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49, which seems okay so far! The joys of studying English literature; there's never a time when you don't have about five books to read for class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 LupinFace

I'm wading my way through 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' at the moment. It's not the first time, I just find it incredibly hard to keep up a routine while reading anything tbh.
    I started 'Looking for Alaska' months ago, and I can't seem to bring myself around to starting it again.
    I do actually adore reading when I start. I just find it hard to pick up the book and get into it :P
    /laziness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I'm reading The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende which sounded like the dullest book ever from the description, but it's properly amazing.

I'm crawling through The Girl Who Played With Fire by Steig Larsson. I don't know what's up with me, it's a perfectly fast-paced book and easy to read, I just can't get into it, which is the complete opposite to it's prequel, I couldn't get enough of that. Gah, too many distractions I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Does anybody know how long delivery usually takes on the book depository? Planning on ordering a few books, and I've nothing to read at the moment!

kateos2 wrote: »
    Does anybody know how long delivery usually takes on the book depository? Planning on ordering a few books, and I've nothing to read at the moment!

Between 4-7 business days in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I'm still making my way through The Gardens of the Moon, I don't know what's up, its taking ages. I think I'm too distracted by video games recently so I'm reading really really slowly. But I didn't order Death de Jour by Reichs and the Brothers Grimm collection on Sunday. Cannot wait for the Brothers Grimm and its an absolutely beautiful edition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

LupinFace wrote: »
    I started 'Looking for Alaska' months ago, and I can't seem to bring myself around to starting it again.

Ooh, you really should give it another go! The latter half of the book is fantastic, from when they begin planning their senior prank onwards. Also, it has lines of the same caliber as the following, so... g'wan! :)
    I wanted to be one of those people who have streaks to maintain, who scorch the ground with their intensity. But for now, at least I knew such people, and they needed me, just like comets need tails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Ooh, you really should give it another go! The latter half of the book is fantastic, from when they begin planning their senior prank onwards. Also, it has lines of the same caliber as the following, so... g'wan! :)
    I've wanted to read that for a while but the library didn't have it and neither did the bookshop. Book Depository is too much hassle. John Green is amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Skimming through Richard Holmes's Battlefield. It's quite a great piece of work. Goes from war in the Ancient times to the war in Iraq in 2003. Excellent reference book and refreshing to jump from Napoleon in the 19th century to the invasion of Poland in 1939 in one book.

Today I just dropped what I'm currently reading (The Girl Who Played with Fire. Yes, still, I fail at life...it's not Ulysses, it's a fast-paced crime novel) and sat down for the last while and read the whole of The Diving Bell And The Butterfly. It was inspiring, to say the least.

One particular line struck home with me, something about him (the main character, don't wanna ruin it for everyone but well, he can't move and you'd probably know that before reading it anyway) never being able to read all the books he had wanted to read. Life's too short lads, it could be an awful lot worse...
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

Was reading Kafka on the Shore but I got to the
    cat mutilation
    scene and was very close to fecking it in the freezer a la Joey from Friends. NIGHTMARES FOREVER. :(

I will start it up again, I think I just need to mentally prepare myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I've been in a reading rut the last few months, have barely read anything, so going by various recommendations here, I ordered a few books of the book depository, they should be here any day now.

I ended up going with; The Bell Jar; The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat; The Book Thief and Trainspotting. I'm hoping they get here soon, I'm going away in a week or so for a few days so some books would be nice to have :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat
    Sounds like an amazing book :pac:

As of late, I've been bestowed with a great oppurtunity to finally read books :D Just after finishing Rise of the Horde (Warcraft novel), and currently working on the Warcraft Archive, then I must choose between Terry Pratchett's Going Postal and the Warhammer 40k Grey Knight omnibus :o

(I feel like such a nerd now...)

Advertisement