Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Robby91 wrote: »
    Sounds like an amazing book :pac:

As of late, I've been bestowed with a great oppurtunity to finally read books :D Just after finishing Rise of the Horde (Warcraft novel), and currently working on the Warcraft Archive, then I must choose between Terry Pratchett's Going Postal and the Warhammer 40k Grey Knight omnibus :o

(I feel like such a nerd now...)

And so you should,it's not a bad thing though.I'd always recommend reading about 40k it's by far one of the most creative pieces of scifi there is,it's completely OTT and insane but there's so much original content and ideas in it,it's hard to not like some part of it.Orks will always have a special place in my heart.

Also,if you like that I recommend you read Starship troopers,it's somewhat the predecessor[the 40k guys name it as a reference for the tyranids and the power armour concepts]

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I finished A Clockwork Orange yesterday. Real like horrorshow it was too, O my brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MsJenjers

Emma by Jane Austin. Was just a random choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

Right guys... I need ye're help! I'm doing my ranking project at the moment for graphic design and I really could do with ye're help with something small! Our brief is to design a book cover but we also have to display a good knowledge of really well designed book covers in general.

I know a lot of ye will have read a considerable amount more then I have over the years so I was just wondering could ye tell me about memorable book covers that ye really loved.... if any?!

I didn't clear this with mod's, I hope this is ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

That sounds like an interesting project :) Are you told in the brief what sort of book the cover has to be for? (I'm not asking you to post it, I'm just wondering :pac:) It makes a lot of difference to the feel of a book I find.

I'm not going to post the pictures, just links to them, because it'll just clutter up the page.

Richard Yates, Revolutionary Road
    I love. love this cover. It's so pretty, and so like the actual book. Vintage Classics' novels are always designed very well, so take a look at their website for more ideas.

The Classic Penguin Look
    I don't actually own any books that look like this ;_____; but I think it's a very classic design. Probably a good one to look at from a graphic design POV.

Jerry Spinnelli, Stargirl
    One of the nicest covers I've ever seen. It's so simple and stuff.

Zadie Smith, White Teeth
    Seeing as this is the book that is in the Penguin example above, it reminded me of the cover of the one I own. Sometimes I just take this out to look at because it's so pretty :o The gold bit at the top right is shiny, you can't really tell from the pic.

Hope that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I sometimes pay more for the Penguin Classic version of a book on Amazon just because of the pretty covers :o
    Also...
    Breakfast At Tiffany's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I have a weakness for hardbacks, just got the Grimm Fairy Tales, its a gorgeous red hardback that I seriously adore. I love the cover for The Princess Bride

I know there are loads of covers that I really like but none are really springing to mind. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Color-Atlas-of-the-Brain-and-Spinal-Cord-9780323036672.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

A cerebral delight, I presume? :pac:

I finished Tender Is The Night on Monday. Still thinking about it. Will probably still be thinking about it a year from now. Powerful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I'm reading a biography on Claude Debussy, quite an interesting chap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

OL7348144M-M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

I have just finishing reading all of KARIN SLAGHTERS books am now fed up because have read all her books, She is really brilliant if you like a murder thriller detective type book , would reccommend her, i also love TESS GERRISON and TAMI HOAG same type of books !!! anyone out there reccomend an authour with same type of subject matter?? Also read patterson ,deaver and connolly books !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I'm reading the butcher boy at the moment, I'll have to decide what I want to read after it as I'll be finishing it by tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Reading "The Stigs" Autobiography atm.
    Intersting to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

I've been reading "The Book Thief" over the past week, really like it so far and it's very easy-reading (so far anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Herman Melville's Moby Dick.

It's fantastic so far. You get a real sense that it's written by a man who's well traveled and has a broad mind, but isn't pretentious, which is quite refreshing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Ally7 wrote: »
    I've been reading "The Book Thief" over the past week, really like it so far and it's very easy-reading (so far anyway)

I finally finished the Book Thief last night and to anyone who hasn't read it yet, go and find it IMMEDIATELY :P Seriously, one of the best books I've ever read, I rarely get very emotional reading books but wow, this book is one of the only ones to ever make me cry. I loved the writing style as well, so unique.
    So yeah, go and get this book, you won't regret it!

^ I might actually get it later based on that recommendation!

I had to read Angela Carter's The Bloody Chamber for my English seminar, and I wasn't really expecting much :p But it's great! It's a book of short stories, based on fairy tales but with a lot of gothic imagery and violence. Her writing style is really nice too, very flowing and witty. Read Endgame by Samuel Beckett too the other day. It's odd to say the least. Not sure what I'm going to start next actually...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

^ I might actually get it later based on that recommendation!

I had to read Angela Carter's The Bloody Chamber for my English seminar, and I wasn't really expecting much :p But it's great! It's a book of short stories, based on fairy tales but with a lot of gothic imagery and violence. Her writing style is really nice too, very flowing and witty. Read Endgame by Samuel Beckett too the other day. It's odd to say the least. Not sure what I'm going to start next actually...

I love your signature, just saying. One of my favourite songs ever. :)

Umm err yeah books, I'm reading a Robin Hobb book, Royal Assasin. I think I've read like two chapters in a week, fail fail fail. Too much distractions. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

Finished the Lost World:Jurassic Park. Wow, disappointing much? Couldn't of been anymore let down by it.
    Now, i return to re-read good books. Like "The Novice" Any other suggestions people? D:

• Advertisement

Duuuuune.

It's excellent so far. I can't believe I'm only getting around to reading it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

cordub wrote: »
    I have just finishing reading all of KARIN SLAGHTERS books am now fed up because have read all her books, She is really brilliant if you like a murder thriller detective type book , would reccommend her, i also love TESS GERRISON and TAMI HOAG same type of books !!! anyone out there reccomend an authour with same type of subject matter?? Also read patterson ,deaver and connolly books !!
    Kathy Reichs

I did actually go out and buy The Book Thief after my earlier post :P Probably not going to end up reading it until the summer though.

Read half of Sexing The Cherry by Jeanette Winterson on the train up to Maynooth this evening. It's a lot better than I expected!

Just read a quick synopsis of "The Book Thief".. Reckon it's worth picking up?

marko93 wrote: »
    Just read a quick synopsis of "The Book Thief".. Reckon it's worth picking up?

It's one of my favourite books. Genuinely brilliant.

Fantastic! Will see if i can pick it up in the library!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I read the bell jar in about 4 days a few weeks ago. Wow, it was so good. I'd definitely recommend it.

Started trainspotting this week, it's taken a bit to get used to the style of writing in it, but I'm enjoying it so far anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Decided I needed to sink my teeth into Leo Tolstoy books, as it seems a shame I never had before. "Anna Karenina" and "War & Peace" both looked too intimidating to start this close to exams, so picked up "The Death of Ivan Ilyich" instead. Flew through it. As in like, finished it in one sitting. I'm a machine.
    It was really good! Enjoyed it thoroughly, and that's not even one of his true Classics! Would definitely recommend it. Shall wait a while to start the other 2, more than likely Summer time.

For now, I've sunk my teeth into "To Kill a Mockingbird". It's just one of those books everyone should read, supposedly, and I've never done so. It's going good so far.

I have "The Book Thief" sitting beside my bed in Dublin. Read the first few pages in a hospital waiting room and, for obvious reasons, didn't get into it at the time, and then kind of forgot about it. I must start it again after this, nothing but rave reviews for it here.

Also, I have a problem. NEED to stop buying books. Have bought at least one book a week for the last few months... expensive habit which I'm finding hard to justify...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'm reading Lolita at the moment ( Should have read it a few weeks ago for college but didn't). Its very good and very disturbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Dumped what I was reading (it was a little bit too much, and intimidating for this time of the year) and started Catch 22. I hope it's as brilliant as it's meant to be. I shouldn't even pass comment, seeing as I seem to dislike almost every book I start and then I end up raving about them (Yes, I find it hard to get into books...The Book Thief was a rare exception though, shows its brilliance I guess) but slowish start, but that means nothing. :P

It shall most likely take a while, unless it picks up quickly, my life has gotten rather busy lately. Two weeks till Easter though...:)

Advertisement