Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

starting Sourcery by Sir Terry Pratchett :) its short but it'll pass the time nicely :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Finished Anna Karenina. Reading stories from Songs of the Dying Earth, and anthology of fantasy stories set in the world created by Jack Vance and collected by George R.R. Martin, right now. Very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I just started reading 'The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists'. Seems like an excellent read so far, my favourite quote being "One of those who did not join the syndicate was Frank Owen, who was as usual absorbed in a newspaper. He was generally regarded as a bit of a crank: for it was felt that there must be something wrong about a man who took no interest in racing or football and was always talking a lot of rot about religion and politics. If it had not been for the fact that he was generally admitted to be an exceptionally good workman, they would have had little hesitation about thinking that he was mad."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Got my holidays today so time to catch up on my laziness from the last 3 months or so. So, ya. The Book Thief is coming back out. I'm going to get passed page 20 this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Finished "THe White tiger" by Aravind Adiga a few days ago.An excellent read,I especially liked the format,it's this really long letter,unusual but it works very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

finished Sourcery. starting Wyrd sisters by terry pratchett now :)

Finished the first two Dresden Files books, moving on to The Malazan Book of the Fallen tales.

Lawliet wrote: »
    Went to a second hand book store and got books 5-8 in the wheel of time series. That should keep me going for a while :D

Unfortunately, those are the annoying ones (well, more precisely, 6-9 are the annoying ones). A real struggle to get through at times. Keep with them though, books 10-13 are worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I have an exam in History of Maths tomorrow (final exam. w00t!) and so I got this ages ago to help me study for it and make out my own notes:

51TYP6v%2BkoL.jpg

In all honesty though, I'm only flicking through it sporadically. Nearly all my notes have been taken off Wikipedia! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I'm planning on starting The Lovely Bones soon as a way to relax (which may not be possibly considering what I've heard about it)...I've been reading the Da Vinci Code seeing as my sister gave it to me but I really have no motivation...I made it to around page 100 though, I started in bad timing too, so I'll make sure to pick it up again over the summer.

There's a pile of books beside my bed and I made a wish list, summer shall be good. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Gonna start reading this tomorrow (I feel like one more night of films before I get too engrossed in books :D)
    978184416696151399_large.jpg

(I'm aware that I've mentioned reading this book before, but me being the eejit that I am, I kinda got lazy and never bothered :pac:)

I've just placed an order for books 2, 3 and 4 of the Malazan Book Of The Fallen. I'm brimming with anticipation right now. Book 1 set a spectacular standard to meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Mrs Dalloway, love it. Going to start Blood Meridian later, too. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Slow Show wrote: »
    I've been reading the Da Vinci Code seeing as my sister gave it to me but I really have no motivation...I made it to around page 100 though, I started in bad timing too, so I'll make sure to pick it up again over the summer.

My favourite part of that book wasn't the main storyline, but all the little 10 page breaks they took to explain stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 TrimTOODLE

20,000 leagues Under The Sea
    ~ Jules Verne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Just finished "Never Let me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro. Took me a while to get through it because of exams. Such a beautiful read, would definitely recommend it!

I'm going to start "Skippy Dies" by Paul Murray now... I've heard many great things, so hopefully I'll enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

bythewoods wrote: »
    Just finished "Never Let me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro. Took me a while to get through it because of exams. Such a beautiful read, would definitely recommend it!

I'm going to start "Skippy Dies" by Paul Murray now... I've heard many great things, so hopefully I'll enjoy it!
    I'm in the middle of Never Let Me Go actually. I'll definitely agree that it's beautifully written. Finding the story a bit hard to get into though for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm in the middle of Never Let Me Go actually. I'll definitely agree that it's beautifully written. Finding the story a bit hard to get into though for some reason.

Aye, it's as though he's always holding back big chunks of the story, right up until the end. I liked that about it though, it all kind of pieces together in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

Just starting to get into Raymond E. Feist. I've finished Magician and Silverthorn and really enjoyed them both.

I think I have a problem. Right, looking at the pile of books beside my bed - lovely, six books to read. I have read a chapter out of each of these books before getting bored and moving onto the next one. Today I bought three new books...Why, you may ask? I'm not even going to have time to read them for another few weeks...but one of them doesn't even have chapters so maybe I'll actually finish that book. Anyway, I now have nine books and a long wish list on the book depository, if I muster up a bit of motivation summer reading shall be fantastic. :)

Edit: Ohhhh Never Let Me Go is in my pile! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Snibbles

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Got my holidays today so time to catch up on my laziness from the last 3 months or so. So, ya. The Book Thief is coming back out. I'm going to get passed page 20 this time.

Stay with it - thought it was great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

I think I have a problem. Right, looking at the pile of books beside my bed - lovely, six books to read. I have read a chapter out of each of these books before getting bored and moving onto the next one.

I have a pile too :)
    Consisting of alottttt of books, some of them are there solely to block out the light from my clock beside my bed though :/
    The pile consists of:
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Why Don't Penguins Feet Freeze?
    Lord of the Flies
    A Little History of the World
    Hamlet
    Flowers in the Attic
    Numorous Revision Books

Im about half way through all of them (bar the revision books), and dont think i'll ever actually finish them...
    Ah well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

2712_400x600.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

We watched Atonement in history at the start of the week and it reminded me how much I love it, so I'm reading the book again <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Ive just started reading 'not without my sister' by some 3 sisters? Its alright so far... Its supposed to be the sunday times bestseller so it will probably get better. :)

on the 14-7-09, I posted this. Tonight, I'm reading the last chapter :P Took my time with this one anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

@Indiego: To Kill A Mockingbird is an amazing book, definitely worth a read!

I must get back into reading once I finish the LC.. anyone got any suggestions? I'm a fan of Jodi Picoult, J.K. Rowling (who isn't?) and Stephenie Meyer.. so any similar authors/fantasy/rom-com books, feel free to tell me... :)

So many books to read, so little time...my current wishlist is 50 books long, and that's being sparing...

Noel read The Book Thief! Perfect book to ease yourself back into, and as you can probably see, everyone on this thread has given it rave reviews. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

So many books to read, so little time...my current wishlist is 50 books long, and that's being sparing...

Noel read The Book Thief! Perfect book to ease yourself back into, and as you can probably see, everyone on this thread has given it rave reviews. :)

Yeah everyone seems to love that book! I'll try and find it the next time I'm in The Book Centre. :D Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    @Indiego: To Kill A Mockingbird is an amazing book, definitely worth a read!

I must get back into reading once I finish the LC.. anyone got any suggestions? I'm a fan of Jodi Picoult, J.K. Rowling (who isn't?) and Stephenie Meyer.. so any similar authors/fantasy/rom-com books, feel free to tell me... :)

Neil Gaiman or Terry Pratchett, both write fantasy-ish books, Gaiman's a bit darker, Pratchett is a bit funnier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

If it's fantasy books we're talking about, read Night Watch and its sequels.
    Awesome books, the films are pretty bad in comparison though ;_;

Advertisement