Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Just finished Deadhouse Gates. Amazing, amazing book, amazing writer, amazing everything. Moving on to Memories of Ice tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I've had it out of the library for about a month and a half at this stage and I haven't gotten past page 26. I start it, read it lightly for a night, then abandon it before picking it up again 2 weeks later and doing the same. I suppose I should give it back to the library...

*proceeds to start it again*
    I'm at page 46. I think I fail at life. :pac:
    marko93 wrote: »
    All of them..
    Read the original series over the past few days, now onto the Demonata series.. NEXT STOP MR CREPSLEY SERIES!
    Loved the original series. Demonata was meh, read the first 4, bought each of the rest as they came out but never read them. Own all 12. Read the first 4. Bad form by me :3

Mr Crespley series? Never heard of that.

Although I have read his "Koyasan" and "The Thin Executioner". Enjoyable but predictable.

Just after looking him up and I think I may have to go read "The City Trilogy" now. :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Just finished Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto, which was actually really, really nice. So simple and atmospheric.

Next books I'm reading are Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes and Tickling the English by Dara O'Briain.

My plans to actually read some books this summer are going pretty well. Soon I will be edumucated.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Fad wrote: »
    Neil Gaiman or Terry Pratchett, both write fantasy-ish books, Gaiman's a bit darker, Pratchett is a bit funnier.
    I didn't take to Pratchett at all the first one of his I picked up, threw it down after 30 pages. Someone gave me a different one when I was on holidays about a year later, I kind of rolled my eyes but started it anyway, and liked it. Wouldn't say I'm an avid fan still, but certainly much more appreciative, have read a fair few of his now.

Fantasy genre, early Raymond Feist is good, he's milking it a bit at this stage with the last few.

And I have to say I love Anne McCaffrey's Pernese series.

I suppose if I tried to spread my love of Dickens in here, I'd get thrown out? >_>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I suppose if I tried to spread my love of Dickens in here, I'd get thrown out? >_>

It was the best of times and it was the worst of times.. <3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Total Guitarist May 2011 edition, I need to find a good book to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

Loved the original series. Demonata was meh, read the first 4, bought each of the rest as they came out but never read them. Own all 12. Read the first 4. Bad form by me :3

Mr Crespley series? Never heard of that.

Although I have read his "Koyasan" and "The Thin Executioner". Enjoyable but predictable.

Just after looking him up and I think I may have to go read "The City Trilogy" now. :L
    I loved the Demonata series. In saying that i absolutly hated the overall ending. It was actually so ****e. I have Koyasan and The Thine Executioner!
    Koyasan is aight.
    TTE is actually a fairly decent stand alone book!
    Mr Crepsley series only started and is on Book 2. I'm enjoying the Vampire style again :3
    Ehm the city trilogy is for the "mature"... Have one of the books but never got around to reading it.
    Honestly I want more of Trudie Canavan. I loved her Magician triology.
    ahh yes, i should really be loving my school books now. But ahhh sure feck it.

marko93 wrote: »
    Ehm the city trilogy is for the "mature"... Have one of the books but never got around to reading it.
    I'm mature, swear! :pac: Sure, I'm almost 17! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

I'm mature, swear! :pac: Sure, I'm almost 17! :P
    Hmmm >_>
    Suuure ya are!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭toadpenguin

The last book in Stieg Larsson's Millenium series (The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest) has been lying on my bedside table untouched for at least a month now. When I started reading the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo I couldn't put it down but I felt like I was struggling through the Girl Who Played With Fire, and I can't be bothered with the last one at all.

Anyone else find the series getting somehow more dull as it goes on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

witches abroad by terry pratchett :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'm reading three at the moment, The Commitments (Roddy Doyle), 1916: The Easter Rising (Tim Pat Coogan) and A Short History of Ireland (JC Beckett). All great, but very different!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

brummytom wrote: »
    I'm reading three at the moment, The Commitments (Roddy Doyle), 1916: The Easter Rising (Tim Pat Coogan) and A Short History of Ireland (JC Beckett). All great, but very different!
    Hmmmm ... just be aware that Tim Pat would have a very definite ... view of history. Still well worth reading though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett:)

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

I started reading Water for Elephants last night. Sadly I had never heard of it before the movie came out BUT I am reading it before I watch the movie because I've heard the movie is totally crap. The book is pretty good so far, only on page 50-something. I hope I don't end up hating it becuase I really want to enjoy it! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Hmmmm ... just be aware that Tim Pat would have a very definite ... view of history. Still well worth reading though.
    Yeah haha, my history teacher warned me about that. Beckett's more just the facts though, it's interesting to see the contrasts between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I'm currently reading A Game of Thrones, and it's brilliant. It's the first book in so so long that I haven't wanted to put down. The only thing is, I regret watching the TV series before reading the book because I know exactly what's going to happen. It's no big thing though, there's still loads of books left!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

You won't be saying that when you run out of books and have to wait 5 years for the next one, as I have. D:

I'm currently re-reading the series - not in the order they came in, but in the order I could find them from their sneaky hiding places. The level of extra detail you discover on a second, third, fourth reading of these books is unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

The silmarillion ...again.Why do I do this to myself,its so hard to read but I love it so :/

The silmarillion ...again.Why do I do this to myself,its so hard to read but I love it so :/
    That is next on my list after I finish The Book Thief. Picked it up for a euro. I finally got into The Book Thief Sunday night and have gone from 50 odd pages to ~400 since. The Standalone Man was tear-jerking.

• Advertisement

Reading House of Chains now. I had my doubts that The Malazan Book Of The Fallen could be as good as I was being told. More than 3000 pages into the series, the doubts are long gone. Steven Erikson is a genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Seeing as it's only a month until the last Harry Potter movie comes out, I'm rereading the Deathly Hallows. Again. <3

Just balled my way through the last 80 pages or so of The Book Thief. Just wow. I haven't cried like that since my grandad died 2 years ago. So glad I kept trying to get into it, so worth it.

Reading House of Chains now. I had my doubts that The Malazan Book Of The Fallen could be as good as I was being told. More than 3000 pages into the series, the doubts are long gone. Steven Erikson is a genius.

You're getting through those fairly quickly! I'm still on Gardens of the Moon. It's slow-going but brilliant. Maybe I've just lost the knack of reading quickly.

Pygmalion wrote: »
    If it's fantasy books we're talking about, read Night Watch and its sequels.
    Awesome books, the films are pretty bad in comparison though ;_;

Ah balls! I didn't click into the link earlier, just saw the name and when I was in the library today, I saw Prachett's Night Watch and was like, that's fantasy, so I presumed it was the same thing. :/

Also, they only had the third A Song of Ice and Fire book, so I didn't bother talking it. Going looking for them in town tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Started into American Gods by Neil Gaiman as well as a collection of Emily Dickinson's poetry. I'd be amazed if I do better than a low B in this year's Leaving and I really struggled with English this year... but damn, that recluse was a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Read The Color Purple by Alice Walker at the weekend. I loved it! Reading Birthday Letters by Ted Hughes now; it's a collection of poems he wrote about Sylvia Plath, and also the last book of poems released before he died. You can really feel the sadness in some of the poems :(

You're getting through those fairly quickly! I'm still on Gardens of the Moon. It's slow-going but brilliant. Maybe I've just lost the knack of reading quickly.

Gardens of the Moon, despite being the shortest in the series of those I've read (734 pages into House of Chains at the moment), took the longest by a good bit. Getting used to processing Erikson's style, especially his unwillingness to provide much (or even any, at times) background information, takes a while to get used to, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Finally got past the 100th page of The Lovely Bones and now I'm flying through it. I'm not finding it *that* creepy and weird (if it gets worse than the first chapter, oh...) so far. Hopefully I'll get it finished tomorrow and move onto the next item on the agenda - Catch 22 when I'm not only reading chapters here and there and forgetting the majority of the wealth of characters introduced. Although I may start re-reading the Inheritance Cycle before the last instalment is released before that, seeing as I have forgotten just about everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Slow Show wrote: »
    Finally got past the 100th page of The Lovely Bones and now I'm flying through it. I'm not finding it *that* creepy and weird (if it gets worse than the first chapter, oh...) so far. Hopefully I'll get it finished tomorrow and move onto the next item on the agenda - Catch 22 when I'm not only reading chapters here and there and forgetting the majority of the wealth of characters introduced. Although I may start re-reading the Inheritance Cycle before the last instalment is released before that, seeing as I have forgotten just about everything.

I thought The Lovely Bones was a good book although I didn't like how
    it got so weird at the end, like where Susie possessed Ruth?
    . Interesting to see how the family coped after her disappearance though.

Advertisement