Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I love Neil Gaiman, I haven't read many of his proper wordy books though -except Neverwhere, which was great. But if you're into graphic novels you should check out The Sandman, even if you're not you give it a chance. Gaiman's one of the main writers helping comic books become recognised as a legitimate, mature art form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I enjoyed American Gods. My main problem was that it builds towards a climax but never really reaches anything climactic.
    They gather, ready to battle and then it just fizzles out.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Aoibheann wrote: »
    I like the humour, the simplicity of the style while the plot is so intricate.. Suits me down to a tee! Gaiman's short stories are wonderful, if you'd like to see if you might enjoy some of his other material? I'd recommend Fragile Things anyway in case you'd like to give him another shot!
    Also, only a few more days until another much-anticipated book for me! \o/ Ghost Story by Jim Butcher is out this coming week.

It's clear that Gaiman has a lot of talent but I felt like he was being too economical with his words. I can understand the appeal of a short, snappy style but I felt kind of robbed when he was presenting such a carefully-crafted, huge universe and seemed to care more about peppering it with pop culture references.

I just searched on "Ghost Story"... a wizard detective? :) Sounds cool! Are they worth reading?
    Lawliet wrote: »
    I love Neil Gaiman ... if you're into graphic novels you should check out The Sandman, even if you're not you give it a chance. Gaiman's one of the main writers helping comic books become recognised as a legitimate, mature art form.

I actually have had my eye on the Sandman for a while, and I'm going to request it from the library's online catalogue. I'm holding you responsible for that recommendation now :P Throughout "American Gods" though I kept thinking that he'd be much more suited to a comic book or graphic novel because of his concise, snappy style that can carry a lot of meaning at times.
    Jako8 wrote: »
    I enjoyed American Gods. My main problem was that it builds towards a climax but never really reaches anything climactic.
    They gather, ready to battle and then it just fizzles out.

I know exactly what you mean. And for me that's why the book is too long (the author's preferred text at least). That was something that frustrated me a little about the book. I can understand retaining mystery (and we could never really comprehend these gods fully anyway) but Gaiman answered a lot of questions far too late for me. Which was nearly worse because he had the answers and left me until I was getting frustrated to reveal the workings of the world. Like you I was excited about the
    supposed battle between the gods
    but about halfway through the book I sort of suspected it would lead to nothing at all because, to me, that seemed kind of typical to Gaiman for large chunks of the book.

I started a topic about a sort of Boards Book Club over in the Literature forum. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056336806

Maybe some of you would be interested? It's all explained there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

wayhey wrote: »
    I just searched on "Ghost Story"... a wizard detective? :) Sounds cool! Are they worth reading?

I love the Dresden Files series, so I would absolutely say YES there. It's one of the few series I know where the quality of writing and plots improves with every book. The series starts out pretty well, but it's at an amazing standard now IMO. Again, the plot is so intricate in ways - you see tiny things mentioned in say the first book turn out to be crucial in later stories, etc. And there's another 8-10 books to come! \o/ I'd also recommend the Codex Alera series by the same author - it's much more of the standard fantasy type, but it's seriously awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Read David Nocholls' "Starter for Ten" in one sitting last night. Just couldn't even consider putting it down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

1/3 of the way through Game Of Thrones.
    Amazing. Next 4 books ordered :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I'm reading a book about heart disease...... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I started the second part of A Storm of Swords, and holy crap. I've been left speechless by the last two chapters I read.
    So many deaths. Just so many. Arya's was deifnitely the worst, she was my favourite character. And Robb too. I'm almost sad Catelyn died, but I just found her so meddlesome and irritating that I just didn't like her.

It's so so good though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

I just started reading The Hobbit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Jay P wrote: »
    I started the second part of A Storm of Swords, and holy crap. I've been left speechless by the last two chapters I read.
    So many deaths. Just so many. Arya's was deifnitely the worst, she was my favourite character. And Robb too. I'm almost sad Catelyn died, but I just found her so meddlesome and irritating that I just didn't like her.

It's so so good though
    Did anyone else feel great sympathy for this post for reasons Jay P probably wouldn't understand?
    Somebody remind me where it was that Arya appeared to die?

• Advertisement

Did anyone else feel great sympathy for this post for reasons Jay P probably wouldn't understand?
    Somebody remind me where it was that Arya appeared to die?

I don't think she was, was she? There was:
    The impostor Arya Stark being sent to marry one of the Boltons. There was a bit where Tyrion, I think, said that "Arya Stark is almost surely dead", but was then told about the impostor.

I don't think she was, was she? There was:
    The impostor Arya Stark being sent to marry one of the Boltons. There was a bit where Tyrion, I think, said that "Arya Stark is almost surely dead", but was then told about the impostor.
    Yeah... But that was AFFC. He's reading ASOS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I really want to read those spoilers. :P

I'm reading the Hobbit atm. A Game of Thrones will be here soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I'm starting Labyrinth by Kate Mosse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I'm reading a book about heart disease...... :o

Hooray, I'm not alone! :)
    I'm powering through "Essential Human Anatomy and Physiology, 10th Edition".

Yeah... But that was AFFC. He's reading ASOS.

Well then I'm totally lost.

Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson. Was slightly surprised
    by the completely new setting and characters
    , but it's still excellent. ~100 pages in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

After buying it months ago and never really getting into it I finished the book thief today. It took some getting into, but it's worth it. I've barely been able to put it down the last two days. Such a sad book, one of the few books I've actually cried at.

I got the girl with the dragon tattoo off my Mum so I'm going to read that next.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'm about 50 pages into War and Peace. My is it daunting.

I'm about 50 pages into War and Peace. My is it daunting.
    Awesome though. Really worth reading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I waiting for Waiting For Godot for ages (..) yet it turns out I ordered the 'notes' book instead. GAH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Just finished "Skippy dies" by Paul Murray- you must read it! Tis a very enjoyable read.

Half way into Huxley's "Brave new world" now- eyeopening...

chronicles-of-thomas-covenant-1-lord-fouls-bane.jpg

Been looking forward to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

"Headfirst iPhone and iPad development"

Yes, I'm that exciting :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    After buying it months ago and never really getting into it I finished the book thief today. It took some getting into, but it's worth it. I've barely been able to put it down the last two days. Such a sad book, one of the few books I've actually cried at.

I got the girl with the dragon tattoo off my Mum so I'm going to read that next.

I'm reading The Girl who Kicked The Hornets Nest now, they're addictive!

I'm going to read the book thief next :) Sounds good!

Reading Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

Excellant excellant book! I've been pushing it like drugs over on the Leaving cert forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

Heh....
    9781849384582.jpg
    It's really interesting i swear :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

A book about musical notation. All this talk about quavers is making me hungry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

I started this at half eight last night and finished it at half four. I couldn't sleep for ages afterward. So sad.

Advertisement