Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Currently reading The Book Thief! Not at the stage where I can't put it down yet, but it's good..

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭HandsomeDivil

I'm reading Howard Marks' autobiography at the moment. A bit self-indulgent and glorified but an interesting read nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

I was a bit like that after Hunger Games and then i read 'Divergent' ive looked at Game of Thrones but dont know if its me, let me know how you get on....

I just finished 'An Idiot Abroad' Ive got an easons book voucher for 75euro im at a loss what to buy next.... Ive got 45 to-read books on my goodreads.com account. Im taking the list with me to easons and i plan on reading a few pages of each book to see which ones i will buy!
    what did you think of it? karl is very funny on the show. i hoped the book would be just as good but easons have hidden it somewhere in the shop and i cant find it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Finished Atlas Shrugged, it was excellent. Now reading The Conquest of Gaul by Julius Caesar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Reading the House Of Night series. Just finished Chosen, getting the next seven for my kindle, they're addictive! Also finished Morganville book number 11, as well as Clockwork Prince, by Cassandra Clare. TEAM JEM FOREVER.

• Advertisement

Finished book two of the Hunger Games, whatever that's called, and I should have Inheritance done tomorrow or the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Finished Atlas Shrugged, it was excellent. Now reading The Conquest of Gaul by Julius Caesar.

Someone sounds power hungry :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Reading the classic Irish book "Séadna" by an t-Athair Peadar Ua Laoghaire.

It's fantastic. Such a simple story, told in a style so simple it's brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Reading the House Of Night series. Just finished Chosen, getting the next seven for my kindle, they're addictive!
    They are actually surprisingly addictive and I love how the name of each of the books is in a different colour on their cover. They're just so pretty looking!

So whenever I get back to reading I've got the next one of those House of Night books (Destined) to read. Although I'll have to read the one before that again because I can't for the life of me remember what happened.
    Then after that will be "The Slap" by Christos Tsiolkas and the "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett.

I do love Easons and their 3 for 2 offer.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Reading the House Of Night series. Just finished Chosen, getting the next seven for my kindle, they're addictive! Also finished Morganville book number 11, as well as Clockwork Prince, by Cassandra Clare. TEAM JEM FOREVER.

Love them! I'm as a far as Untamed, but waiting on the next 2 to be checked back into the library..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Amazing, right?!? Although I have to say.... Will <3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Full Metal Alchemist (Although this is a manga and I dunno if it applies here :pac: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

72 pages through A Game Of Thrones. bah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

Just read Started for Ten and The Understudy by David Nicholls in the last 24 hours.
    Thats how bored I am.
    I <3 his books though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Someone sounds power hungry :p
    Indeed. Before that it was The Prince and The Art Of War. I didn't even notice the theme developing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I just started 11.22.63 by Stephen King. Wouldn't have picked out a sci fi book about time travel for myself, but it was bought for me so I said I'd give it a go.

It seems okay from what I've read, but I'm not far into it. I hope I enjoy the rest of the book because 700 pages of misery is something I think I'd rather avoid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

musical.x wrote: »
    what did you think of it? karl is very funny on the show. i hoped the book would be just as good but easons have hidden it somewhere in the shop and i cant find it :P

Yep i enjoyed it, ive got karlology to read aswell. i got it ordered in! dont know why they dont stock them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Been on a reading spree

since the 31st of dec ive read 'Ashes', 'Starcrossed', 'Wither' 'City of bones' , 'City of ashes' , 'city of glass' and ' city of fallen angels' quite enjoyed all of them only they have left me with an almighty migraine.

I have 'Gone, Hunger, Lies and Plague' left to read along with 'the enemy, the dead and the fear' also i have the maze runner series and little star by john lindqvist, the author of let the right one in, which was turned into the film ' let me in' and also ' Karlology'. My head killing me from reading so im going to watch buffy the vampire slayer first to give my head a rest...

The mortal Instuments seem to be twilight crossed with buffy the vampire slayer with a touch of harry potter. I quite enjoyed it the next books out in may as is insurgent. Got a feeling may is going to be a busy month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I just started 11.22.63 by Stephen King. Wouldn't have picked out a sci fi book about time travel for myself, but it was bought for me so I said I'd give it a go.

It seems okay from what I've read, but I'm not far into it. I hope I enjoy the rest of the book because 700 pages of misery is something I think I'd rather avoid...

I've just read the plot summary on wikipedia. It actually sounds really good!

I finished both Inheritance (very good, way more mature this time around too) and The Hunger Games (horrible, unsatisfying conclusion and a nightmare of a main character).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The prince by Niccolò Machiavelli. I know its supposed to be all philosophical and ****, but its so boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

After being given a massive Amazon giftcard. Thinking of getting The Hunger Games trilogy, but not sure what else to get. Anyone any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

After being given a massive Amazon giftcard. Thinking of getting The Hunger Games trilogy, but not sure what else to get. Anyone any ideas?

get the hunger games :) you'll never regret it :)
    ha i'm reading skullduggery pleasant atm ... ( i know i'm a kid :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Definitely get the Hunger Games!
    If you like the fantasy/romance type of books, I'm slightly obsessed with Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series (there are four out right now, and the fifth coming out in May) and her Infernal Devices series (the first two are out now). Also, the 'Wolves of Mercy Falls' books - Shiver, Linger and Forever - are incredible.

You might regret getting The Hunger Games by the third book. (Thought I'd provide a bit of balance here).

If you're into fantasy, and I'd say people with CTYI in their names are more likely than most to be, then anything by Brandon Sanderson - you can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

A collection of Wordsworth's. We Are Seven, The Thorn and Strange Fits always make my mind wander in the best way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Yeah I thought the first Hunger Games book was OK, the second one a little less OK, and the third one is just bad. Finding them OK means that I was oddly engrossed in each book, unable to put them down (I mostly blame this on each chapter ending with a cliffhanger of some sort though) and really curious of what would happen at the end (except the third one, kinda stopped caring at some point). And the font was nice and big so I could read one in a matter of hours. :pac: Meh, if you like that sort of thing they're grand, perhaps I would've liked them more if I hadn't seen Battle Royale so recently...

If you're a FANtasy (hehehehe) I would recommend the A Song of Ice and Fire series, but it's been six months and I'm still not finished the first book yet (page 600 though, surely that's enough?), nor have I picked it up in two months. Think that's mostly down to my own personal failure at life, rather than the books though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

I finished a Game of Thrones in 12 days. Ignore slow show >_>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Just finished Kitty and the midnight hour by Carrie Vaughn.It's about a nightime radio host who is a werewolf and how she deals with her pack and a series of murders.

I'll be buying the rest of the series defenitly.I'd say it'd appeal to the sort of people who like twilight but who want something a little bit more grown up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

DOOO IT. I enjoyed them, then move onto A Game Of Thrones.

Advertisement