Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

Reading "In the name of the wind" by Patrick Rothfuss.. Must say tis a pretty good book :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Finished The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. It's just bewildering how intricate and detailed an author can make a book, especially when it was published in serialisation, rather than one complete work.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

Just finished reading Beloved by Toni Morrison - what a strange, strange book. I'm not even sure if I liked it on not, in terms of basic character traits and plot features it reminded me a lot of the only other book of hers that I've read, which has put me off reading anything else by her in case it's all just the same thing over and over and over again. That's kind of a pity since I quite enjoyed Song of Solomon.

I've also been flipping through Last Words: The Final Journals of William Burroughs. That man sure loved his cats! I love Burroughs anyway, so I find it rather fascinating.

Just finished reading Beloved by Toni Morrison - what a strange, strange book. I'm not even sure if I liked it on not, in terms of basic character traits and plot features it reminded me a lot of the only other book of hers that I've read, which has put me off reading anything else by her in case it's all just the same thing over and over and over again. That's kind of a pity since I quite enjoyed Song of Solomon.

I've also been flipping through Last Words: The Final Journals of William Burroughs. That man sure loved his cats! I love Burroughs anyway, so I find it rather fascinating.

I started Beloved today, liking it so far, I didn't read Song of Solomon though. Reminds me a bit of The Colour Purple though.

I've read Good Morning, Midnight and Voyage in the Dark by Jean Rhys, and Far From The Madding Crowd by Hardy over the past few days, surprised I left it so long, considering Jude The Obscure and The Mayor of Casterbridge are two of my favourite books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Thinking of getting bear grylls, read the back cover and it looks like a good read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Thinking of getting bear grylls, read the back cover and it looks like a good read.

Fancy seeing you here Mrs!! :D :P

I just finished this;

9780006513230.jpg

It's about the life of twin brothers, one is schizofrenic.

I learned a lot from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Hamlet. Again... This is the fourth time. And I've seen the drama three times. I'm going mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

Trying to get rid of my procrastination habit since I have a test tomorrow doesn't help when you're reading this. its-kind-of-a-funny-story.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I just finished the scorch trials, the second in the maze runner trilogy, moving onto the last one now the death cure. I'm enjoying them so far. They're along the same lines as hunger games/divergent. According to goodreads, they're in the dystopia genre. You learn something new everyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

do read it i bought there a while ago and its very interesting!

on topic: im reading the hunger games at the moment i finished the 1st 2 in 2 days waiting to get the 3rd one off of my gf at the weekend! :D

• Advertisement

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I just finished the scorch trials, the second in the maze runner trilogy, moving onto the last one now the death cure. I'm enjoying them so far. They're along the same lines as hunger games/divergent. According to goodreads, they're in the dystopia genre. You learn something new everyday!

I enjoy most dystopian novels, I loved the maze runner trilogy and divergent/insurgent. I am however giving dystopian novels a break for a while.

Finished Bear Grylls book last night and i really enjoyed it, I finished The Executioner by Chris Carter 15 mins ago and i loved it, really violent :D, note to self get his next book. Im starting Tyringham Park tomorrow.

So far this year ive only read 28 books... :( most of which were dystopian.

Goodreads is great for recommending books :D i have 43 on my to read list most are not yet out. I cant wait for the twelve by justin cronan.

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I started looking for Alaska yesterday, just finished it there. Really good book, I know someone in here said they read it think it's where I got the name. I'd recommend it.

I have to say I adore my kindle. I got it like 3 weeks ago, and have read 6 books since. I'm fairly positive that's more than I've read in the last year, I'd gotten terrible with reading but I'm hooked again. Finally going to get around to starting the game of thrones series next I think.

How did game of thrones go, i havent got them as i dont think they are my cup of tea, I hated lord of the rings too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I tried getting into them but just couldn't. Going to give them another shot when I've finished the last maze runner book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Just bought 50 shades of Grey because me friends keep going on about it.Hopefully it'll be as good as they've made it out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

Just bought 50 shades of Grey because me friends keep going on about it.Hopefully it'll be as good as they've made it out to be.

It isn't good. It's 200 pages too long and, at times, quite badly written. That said, it's ridiculously addictive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

It has taken me three attempts to read it, but I can now say that Catch-22 is brilliant and hilarious and wonderful and everyone should read it. Honestly made a fool of myself trying to stifle the laughter in a quiet hall for the last few days. :) Also it's jam-packed with such lovely words, I have like a hundred drafts in my phone messages of words I need to look up. Great book. :D

In the recent past I have also read 1984. Doubleplusgood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I have catch 22 on the bookshelf... but I haven't read it. I was going to read fifty shades of grey till someone told me its based off erotic twilight fan fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

I've been in a bit of a funk regarding reading lately but I've still managed to get through, amongst others, The Life of Pi - excellent, I really enjoyed it and Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet - it's so beautifully written, if I could write that well my problems would be over :pac:

Currently I'm reading Rabbit Redux and flipping through The Collected Stories of Lydia Davis. Catch 22 is on my to-read list too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

I read Slaughterhouse-Five yesterday. I liked it but I can't quite understand how it's the 18th best book the 20th Century. I really liked the war parts and I quite liked when Billy was abducted but his mundane life as a crazy optometrist was exactly that: mundane!

I dunno. Maybe I'm too stupid to understand it or something? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Re-reading the His Dark Materials books. :)
    I used to be absolutely obsessed with them when I was about twelve and then proceeded to forget all about them. But then last summer, Philip Pullman had written the intro to the edition of Paradise Lost I read, and he talked all about how it influenced HDM - which made me realise most of it went over my head :o In my defence, I was in primary school!
    So I'm re-reading them and they're even more incredible than I remember. Just starting into the last one, The Amber Spyglass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm 74% through the third of the Shades of Grey Trilogy,it does suck me in even though I know its fairly crap.Have to say the sex scenes are more anoying than arousing for me even though they seem to work for some of my friends.

Hopefully Starting the Game of Thrones books later tonight or tomorrow.More than likely tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Currently reading "Finding Mr. Flood" by Ciara Geraghty. Its a nice light chick lit read, a bit predictable so far but good all the same :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Re-reading the His Dark Materials books. :)
    I used to be absolutely obsessed with them when I was about twelve and then proceeded to forget all about them. But then last summer, Philip Pullman had written the intro to the edition of Paradise Lost I read, and he talked all about how it influenced HDM - which made me realise most of it went over my head :o In my defence, I was in primary school!
    So I'm re-reading them and they're even more incredible than I remember. Just starting into the last one, The Amber Spyglass.

Heh, I should re-read too, I read them when I was 10/11 I think. I loved them but I probably didn't have a clue what was going on either. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Slow Show wrote: »
    Heh, I should re-read too, I read them when I was 10/11 I think. I loved them but I probably didn't have a clue what was going on either. :p

You really should! Half of it I either remembered totally differently or not at all. They seem so, so much better now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

Reading Cloud Atlas at the moment. I think I tried reading it when I was 12/13, but I just skipped ahead to the dystopian sci-fi parts :D Anyway, I'm half-way through the second story, Letters From Zedelghem, so far it's fairly good.

Re-read The Martian Chronicles there last week. Fantastic book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I've done a fair bit of reading lately. Started with the Steve Jobs Biography (Loved it!!) and now I'm going onto 'Fifty Shades of Grey' (I'm really excited to read this!) and then I'm going onto a book called 'Sex, Lies and Politics' (recommend by a friend). If the Fifty Shades book goes well, I'll continue with the series. Anyone read any of them yet? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Anyone read any of them yet? :)
    I've read extracts, it's horribly written and absolutely hilarious. What's not to love about a BDSM story where the author can't bring herself to say the work vagina?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Genuinely thought people were joking when they said it was a Twilight fanfic

Lawliet wrote: »
    I've read extracts, it's horribly written and absolutely hilarious. What's not to love about a BDSM story where the author can't bring herself to say the work vagina?

Well, saying it in America can get you banned.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9333256/Michigan-bans-women-representatives-for-using-the-V-word.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Just goes to show, whether it be laws or crappy novels, if you can't say the word you shouldn't be writing about it.

Advertisement