Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Started reading The Boys from Brazil by Ira Levin. It's really addictive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Been reading SkagBoys by irvine welsh.

A really brilliant book Full of pop culture and black black humor. shows some of the reasons why people get into smack without being judgmental.

Irvine welsh's writings are more effective than any "Just say no" campaign.

It's written in a phonetic scot's accent. which i struggled with while eading trainspottibg but living with an edinburgh native has eased the process with skagboys somewhat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Irvine Welsh is a living legend (and I'm not just saying that because he's a Bohs fan too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭burrenguy

I'mjust finished reading "The Straight A Conspiracy". Decent book about study skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Just started reading 'This is Your Brain on Music' by Daniel Levitin. I originally only took it out of the library to help me with an assignment I'm writing, but it's really very interesting so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 green and yellow

Just finished Brooklyn, by Colm Toibin. Really nice book which, if anthing, finished a wee bit abruptly. The guy is a great writer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Just been reading a biography of Che Guevara by Álvarez de Toledo, Lucía. Great book so far and never knew he had astma attacks!

Picked up a book today based solely on the cover art, Cause I'm a rebel.

Some Russian novel "The Master & Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.
    Apparently It was never published during the authors lifetime because of the soviets having an erection for censorship, so far so good. First non sci-fi book / graphic novel I've picked up in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

Just finished Skippy Dies by Paul Murray. It is fantastic. Go read it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

Recently read a book based in the Aliens universe. Oh how disappointed I was by it. I have all the GoT books sitting on my shelf, but I cant bring myself to read them ;___;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Currently reading Zero Degrees of Empathy, it's about personality disorders and psychopathy, really interesting read.

Thinking of starting A Game of Thrones when I finish, it's been sitting on my shelf for ages. I assume it's great due to its cult-status, but is it an easy read or are there tedious parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Currently reading Zero Degrees of Empathy, it's about personality disorders and psychopathy, really interesting read.

Thinking of starting A Game of Thrones when I finish, it's been sitting on my shelf for ages. I assume it's great due to its cult-status, but is it an easy read or are there tedious parts?

All of the ASOIAF books are great in my opinion, especially the first three. Started reading them after season 3 of the show finished, and I've already gone through them all.

There are a lot of characters and plot lines, and sometimes it can be tricky to keep track of everything. There are also plenty of detailed descriptions of the clothes a character is wearing, or the food at a feast, but I never really found it tedious. Give it a try, and if you like his style of writing, you'll be hooked pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Just finished "the time keeper" by Mitch Albom and its after getting me into reading again.

Anyone read any good books lately? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

This thread seems a little dead lately but I'm gonna post anyways!

I've decided to write up a list of 30 books I want to read this summer! I'm already on the third book and I'm only two weeks in!

I read 'Kafka on the Shore' by Haruki Murakami at the suggestion of my debating teacher. It's an interesting read. The plot is quite strange but in a good way. There's parts of it that were difficult to follow but overall I actually enjoyed it! The ending killed me though. It left so many questions unanswered! Apparently the more you read the book, the more you understand. I might re-read it again at some point, to see if I can figure it out a bit better.

After that I read 'The Da Vinci Code' by Dan Brown. I found it really easy to go through. I read the entire thing in two days. I thought the whole background to the story was really interesting. It's a lot of conspiracy stuff and religion comes into it a lot. I've been told that most of the story in it is complete bull, but regardless it's an interesting read. Has anyone read any more of Brown's books? I might give some a read in the future!

I'm reading 'Mysterious Skin' by Scott Heim now. My friend watched the movie on Netflix and told me a little bit about it. It sounded quite controversial, and then by chance I actually saw a copy of the book in the window of a charity shop! I picked it up and decided to have a read. I'm about a third of the way in and I have to say. I quite like it! It's quite adult and taboo but so far it's been dealt in a good way. I'll let you know how it turns out!

What has everyone else been reading/plans to read now that the summer months are upon us? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

Looking at my shelves of unread books atm, if I made a list it would go something like this

The Hobbit
    LoTR series
    The Shining
    GoT
    RoCK series

and probably a tonne more, I don't know why but I can't seem to motivate myself to read.

SHARE YOUR WISDOM BAZINGA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    This thread seems a little dead lately but I'm gonna post anyways!

I've decided to write up a list of 30 books I want to read this summer! I'm already on the third book and I'm only two weeks in!

I read 'Kafka on the Shore' by Haruki Murakami at the suggestion of my debating teacher. It's an interesting read. The plot is quite strange but in a good way. There's parts of it that were difficult to follow but overall I actually enjoyed it! The ending killed me though. It left so many questions unanswered! Apparently the more you read the book, the more you understand. I might re-read it again at some point, to see if I can figure it out a bit better.

After that I read 'The Da Vinci Code' by Dan Brown. I found it really easy to go through. I read the entire thing in two days. I thought the whole background to the story was really interesting. It's a lot of conspiracy stuff and religion comes into it a lot. I've been told that most of the story in it is complete bull, but regardless it's an interesting read. Has anyone read any more of Brown's books? I might give some a read in the future!

I'm reading 'Mysterious Skin' by Scott Heim now. My friend watched the movie on Netflix and told me a little bit about it. It sounded quite controversial, and then by chance I actually saw a copy of the book in the window of a charity shop! I picked it up and decided to have a read. I'm about a third of the way in and I have to say. I quite like it! It's quite adult and taboo but so far it's been dealt in a good way. I'll let you know how it turns out!

What has everyone else been reading/plans to read now that the summer months are upon us? :)

I liked the 'Da Vinci Code' too :D It's been a long time since I read it though :pac:

Just finishing off Éamonn Dunphy's book, was kinda meh really to be honest. Bits were interesting but there was a lot of name dropping! Keith Gillespie's one I raid a week or two ago was better, was massively honest with his figures and gave quite a detailed description of the La Manga incident.

Finished 'A Year In Provence' by Peter Mayle a few weeks ago and re-read (for like the fifth time) 'A Season With Verona' by Tim Parks, both excellent books. There's a small enough Ross O'Carroll Kelly one I said I'd try for the laugh.

I do need to get back into reading fiction though, have read a lot of sport books in the last while

marko93 wrote: »
    Looking at my shelves of unread books atm, if I made a list it would go something like this

The Hobbit
    LoTR series
    The Shining
    GoT
    RoCK series

and probably a tonne more, I don't know why but I can't seem to motivate myself to read.

SHARE YOUR WISDOM BAZINGA

The Hobbit, LOTR and 1984 are all on my reading list as well! I don't know how I get motivated tbh! Usually it just takes one good book (in this case it was the seven Harry Potter books that started me off!) to get you into it and then you just keep at it with different books! There's always going to be ones you don't like, but give them a go and try to find something you like!
    I liked the 'Da Vinci Code' too :D It's been a long time since I read it though :pac:

Just finishing off Éamonn Dunphy's book, was kinda meh really to be honest. Bits were interesting but there was a lot of name dropping! Keith Gillespie's one I raid a week or two ago was better, was massively honest with his figures and gave quite a detailed description of the La Manga incident.

Finished 'A Year In Provence' by Peter Mayle a few weeks ago and re-read (for like the fifth time) 'A Season With Verona' by Tim Parks, both excellent books. There's a small enough Ross O'Carroll Kelly one I said I'd try for the laugh.

I do need to get back into reading fiction though, have read a lot of sport books in the last while

Yeah I thought the Da Vinci Code was actually quite good! A lot of people seemed to disagree with me though! :eek:

I'm not really a sports-guy so Sporty stuff wouldn't be really up my alley. Science/Conspiracy and any type of Fiction however and I'm all for it :D

Oh good god...reading the Divergent trilogy, I've burned through the first two in three days and I have about 75 pages in the last one.

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Oh good god...reading the Divergent trilogy, I've burned through the first two in three days and I have about 75 pages in the last one.

I've read the Divergent trilogy too! Allegiant is amazing! The plot gets really interesting and the ending is brilliant! No spoilers though :p

I recently just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. It's a mystery/romance/crime/strange novel and it's quite good. The storyline and plot twist and the characters are all really well written and thought out. It's an interesting read. My only fault with it was the ending. I felt it just ends too abruptly and leaves you wanting to know more about the characters and what happens next. It's being made into a film with a release date of October 2014, so I'm excited for that. Ben Affleck's in it (which is not what I imagined Nick to look like at all!).

I'm reading the Hobbit at the moment and probably the rest of the LOTR books after that!

I'm considering reading the A Song of Fire and Ice series. I've never watched the Game of Thrones series but I've heard a lot about it! Can anyone tell me if they've read the series and let me know their thoughts on it? :)

I am so annoyed at the ending of Allegiant, it kills me. I understand why it happened, and it was damn brave, but no. IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Reading that isn't college related is the most amazing thing ever. I was hoping nine months of English Lit. wouldn't make me hate it but seemingly not as in 9 weeks, 5 of which were study/exams, I've made it through Catching Fire, Mockingjay, The Lovely Bones, The Life of Pi, The Bell Jar, The Picture of Dorian Grey, The Importance of Being Earnest, Great Expectations, Gone Girl, My Sister's Keeper, The Old Man and the Sea and a reread of The Fault In Our Stars.

I am so annoyed at the ending of Allegiant, it kills me. I understand why it happened, and it was damn brave, but no. IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

The ending killed me as well! It's a real stab in the heart! Very well written though and I just felt it was one of those books were even though that's not how you wanted it to end, you just feel it was right or something! I loved it anyways!

What are you planning on reading next? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

I'm considering reading the A Song of Fire and Ice series. I've never watched the Game of Thrones series but I've heard a lot about it! Can anyone tell me if they've read the series and let me know their thoughts on it? :)

I am currently on the fourth book of the series (it is the fourth book but since two were cut in half because of size it is actually the fifth). I watch the show also but read the books first (trying to finish the next few books before the next season).

My opinion?: Brilliant. They are absolutely fantastic. They are filled with so many different twists and turns but since each chapter is a PoV of a different character, you start to love and hate certain chapters. I find myself reaching particular character chapters and closing the book. It then takes me a number of days to pick it up again. I burned through the first three books (third is one cut in half so counts as four books) but the one I am on now, A Feast for Crows, is quite difficult as not much happens.

I really highly recommend reading the books if you have the time and a love of detail. There are A LOT of characters, places and different names and it can get quite thick at times but all in all, it is well-written and leaves you wanting more. I think it would be good to get into if you like medieval, lord of the rings type books :)

Hope that helped!

---

What am I reading?

Lately I just finished No Country For Old Men for my FYP. It was great until that very boring, disappointing ending. It put me off writing about it really. I am now onto reading To Kill a Mockingbird for the second time as I am doing that for my FYP love it!

I have three chapters to go of A Song of Ice and Fire - A Feast for Crows, it has taken me a year and a half to get through it due to business and the fact it is the most difficult of the series to get through.

I also just bought myself A Fault in Our Stars as an easy summer read. It's not something I would usually read as I often pick heavier books. Who has read this and what are their opinions on it? :) Thank you!

The ending killed me as well! It's a real stab in the heart! Very well written though and I just felt it was one of those books were even though that's not how you wanted it to end, you just feel it was right or something! I loved it anyways!

What are you planning on reading next? :)

My sister got her hands on an ARC of the next Sarah Rees Brennan book (I'm rather upset she got one and I didn't, she hasn't even read the series) so possibly that. Or going through the pile of ebooks I bought, because I won a €100 amazon giftcard, so I went shopping.

Couple of chapters into the fifth asoiaf book. Feast for crows was fairly weak but I'm enjoying the series so far .

For people who like epic fantasy a la game of thrones I'd recommend Stephen kings Dark Tower series . Probably my favourite series and it's in development for a tv series at the minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Mag_1_20140607_1664_Page001.jpg

:D

My sister got her hands on an ARC of the next Sarah Rees Brennan book (I'm rather upset she got one and I didn't, she hasn't even read the series) so possibly that. Or going through the pile of ebooks I bought, because I won a €100 amazon giftcard, so I went shopping.
    A €100 Amazon gift card sounds like heaven!! <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

What's your FYP about Aragneer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    What's your FYP about Aragneer?

I am writing about the Southern gothic sub-genre in No Country for Old Men and To Kill a Mockingbird. I am thinking of doing the subject of gender (as women are back up characters in NCfOM and mains in TKaM) but I can't work out a thesis topic...

Any ideas or advice? :P I'm a little panicked by it even though I love what I'm doing :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Aragneer wrote: »
    I am writing about the Southern gothic sub-genre in No Country for Old Men and To Kill a Mockingbird. I am thinking of doing the subject of gender (as women are back up characters in NCfOM and mains in TKaM) but I can't work out a thesis topic...

Any ideas or advice? :P I'm a little panicked by it even though I love what I'm doing :P

I'm a bad one to be asking for advice :P

I do actually show a clip of TKaM to my kids when we're talking about disease. The bit where
    Atticus shoots the dog with rabies.
    I always thought that was such a powerful symbol, even though he was a good man he couldn't save everybody. Nobody can.

Advertisement