Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just got eircom broadband....

Options
  • 21-12-2008 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭

Right just got eircom broadband. Set it up and am using it as wireless. Its MEANT to be 3mb one but its really slow. I mean it takes a youtube video a good 5 minutes to load where as using 02s mobile modem theyd download in about 20 seconds...

Is this normal or have I to do something extra because it really is pretty poor at the moment. Also the internet led light went red for a while. What does that mean?

Heres what it says on the router page...

Speed
    160/256 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation
    48/31 dB

Dont have a clue what line attenuation means. Can anyone shed some light/advice? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Try speedtest.net and post the results

I've 3mb eircom wireless aswell.

My results:
    376865700.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I have no idea what attenuation is - and every time i hear that word i remember back to a college project my head lecturer gave me to find out what it was - i found one meaning of it which he did not agree with, and never remember either of them since.

mine is:
    Line Attenuation
    42/24 dB

the 160/256... is very worrying :)
    the 256 is the kb/s download
    so you have 160kb/s
    which is about 20KB/s
    3meg(mb) should be letting you download at 375KB/s

you just got it installed at 9pm on a sunday... or you are just messing around with it now :)

1) make sure there are no other perphirals connected (sky box(though i found that not to matter), phones) and see what it comes up to then
    2) get onto eircom at 8am tomorrow morning and say you missed out on one hell of a night of posting on boards.ie.

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Try speedtest.net and post the results

I've 3mb eircom wireless aswell.

My results:
    376865700.png

id be worried about your speeds too m8 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

samhail wrote: »
    id be worried about your speeds too m8 :)

Tell me about it. 3mb is verging on false advertising

376867075.png

i thought i was on a 3mb line too :)
    i guess im on 5 now *shrugs*

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I have the 3mb too... Upload sucks.

376868987.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

376870850.png

Supposed to be a 7mb line

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

376870238.png

Speed: 3072/384 (kbps) according to 192.168.1.254

Me ^^^

Joe123: restart your router. When the speed was dodgy, after a restart, the speed would sometimes "right" itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

376880052.png

Im pretty sure thats a bad speed....:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

joe123 wrote: »
    376880052.png

Im pretty sure thats a bad speed....:confused:
    Eh.... yeah.

You may as well be on dialup!

• Advertisement

looks like this turned into a looks who's's bigger.
    looks at mine ;)

joe123 - yes that is bad alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Disconnect everything from a phone line (alarm/sky/internal phone system) and bring the modem directly to the main telephone point of the house, it's the one that eircom installs.

Place it directly into the main telephone point and reset the router, there's a pinhole at the back by the power switch, if you hold a pin into it for about 5 seconds the power light will go red. Give it 2 minutes or so and re-run the speed test. If your download speeds aren't up to about 2700 call eircom at 1890260260.

They're open now till 10 but they're just going to tell you to do what I told you before they help you... also make sure you test the download speed when you're conncted with ethernet and not on the wireless.

Theres something up for sure. I turned off the router and restarted it and just kept getting a red light for the internet led no matter where i placed it. Anyways came down later and its gone green.

What does the red light mean for the internet?
    Disconnect everything from a phone line (alarm/sky/internal phone system) and bring the modem directly to the main telephone point of the house, it's the one that eircom installs.

Place it directly into the main telephone point and reset the router, there's a pinhole at the back by the power switch, if you hold a pin into it for about 5 seconds the power light will go red. Give it 2 minutes or so and re-run the speed test. If your download speeds aren't up to about 2700 call eircom at 1890260260.

They're open now till 10 but they're just going to tell you to do what I told you before they help you... also make sure you test the download speed when you're conncted with ethernet and not on the wireless.

Right Ill try that. But wouldnt all the phone sockets in the house be the same anyways?

Ok i reset it and tried again.

The latest speed has improved slightly...

376948223.png

What are peoples thoughts? Cheers for all the help by the way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

The reason why it's asked to try at the main telephone point is because it is the closest one to the exchange so there's less likelihood there will be a problem with the internal wiring. It could be your extension has some wiring fault.

As for the red light on the internet, it shows the status of whether your connection is authenticated on the server. If the DSL is flashing it will be red, if the DSL is solid it could be an issue with your username/password, not having paid the bill or an authentication or port issue with the Eircom server.

Rang eircom today. Tried a few things but in the end said hes done all he can over the phone. There going checking the server or something and if that doesnt work they are sending out an engineer as the line might not be that great of quality. Within the next 5 days but with christmas in the middle im reckoning two weeks :cool:

By the way the light for the internet on the router is just constantly red now even though the other three lights are green :confused: What could be up with it?

red doesnt sound good atall :)
    sounds like its disconnected maybe ?

engineer will be able to help alot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

My speed

is
    290 down
    110 up

Thats on eircoms 7 meg package:eek: I might aswell be on dial up.

We have to pay for the service but dont get the product and have to listen to some fool saying you must have spyware and that is what is causing you problem. Until you let them know you are not a total plank and that you have no spyware and the problem is on their side and nothing to with the pc.

They then told me there must be a problem with my line ( you dont say)
    It will take 3 to 5 days to check the exchange but seen as its Xmas maybe a bit longer:mad::mad:

ambman wrote: »
    My speed

is
    290 down
    110 up

Thats on eircoms 7 meg package:eek: I might aswell be on dial up.

We have to pay for the service but dont get the product and have to listen to some fool saying you must have spyware and that is what is causing you problem. Until you let them know you are not a total plank and that you have no spyware and the problem is on their side and nothing to with the pc.

They then told me there must be a problem with my line ( you dont say)
    It will take 3 to 5 days to check the exchange but seen as its Xmas maybe a bit longer:mad::mad:

Sounds exactly like my problem except weve got the 3mb package. In fairness the eircom fella didnt ask me about any spyware or stuff but I quickly told him I tried resetting the router etc so think he knew I wasnt totally clueless. My router page had something like your speeds listed as my max allowed!

Could the line be checked and eircom come back and tell me "sorry you cant get broadband" or will they sort it out and finally get proper bb??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The first thing to check if your speeds are slow is the line stats.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    The first thing to check if your speeds are slow is the line stats.

and if they come back and tell me the line stats are in the ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

377525404.png

This is what i get off 3mb so i hope it helps???

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

Hi Joe,

This is coincidence, I was sorting out connecting my neighbours machine to the wireless and me being interested in going with DSL (currently on FWA) thought Id check what the connection and attenuation was like here but looking at it had your exact figures e.g. 160/128 for the download and upload.
    Told my neighbour to give Eircom a call and was over there just now and all is great after she called them today!

Nick

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

joe123 wrote: »
    and if they come back and tell me the line stats are in the ****?

Your router will give you your line stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Had this a while back. Eircom were doing an upgrade on the line at the time (found out through a mate). Was getting around 50 down. Red light on the internet (meaning I had DSL, but no sync). Sorted itself out after about a week.

dub45 wrote: »
    Your router will give you your line stats.

How do I check them out?
    Hi Joe,

This is coincidence, I was sorting out connecting my neighbours machine to the wireless and me being interested in going with DSL (currently on FWA) thought Id check what the connection and attenuation was like here but looking at it had your exact figures e.g. 160/128 for the download and upload.
    Told my neighbour to give Eircom a call and was over there just now and all is great after she called them today!

Nick

Did Eircom sort it out over the phone for her? Or was an engineer sent out? They told me they tried all they could over the phone and next thing was theyd be checking the server in the next few days to see if someone had to come out.

By the way are you meant to switch off your router or leave it on constantly (like at night). Was headin to bed and noticed the internet light (which is now green) was blinking slightly which means someone is using it I thought even though no one was?? Anyways I turned it off. Is it meant to be left constantly on even when not in use? Thanks again.

Advertisement