Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

K-1 - Premium 2008 Dynamite!! card

Options
  • 21-12-2008 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭

Matchups:
    MMA Rules
    Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Kiyoshi Tamura
    Eddie Alvarez (No. 2 LW, No. 10 PFP) vs. Shinya Aoki (No. 4 LW)
    Joachim Hansen (No. 3 LW) vs. Gesias Cavalcante (No. 5 LW)
    Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic vs. Hong Man Choi
    Semmy Schilt vs. Siala Siliga
    Jerome LeBanner vs. Mark Hunt
    Hideo Tokoro vs. Daisuke Nakamura

K-1 Rules
    Gegard Mousasi (No. 5 MW) vs. Musashi
    Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Kozo Takeda
    Yoshihiro Sato vs. Artur Kyshenko

Looks like an interesting card, Cro Cop taking on Hong Man Choi is an odd one for me , would have prefered to see a rematch with Overeem.

Looking forward to seeing Joachim Hansen in action , havent seen him fight since his win at dream 5

Edit: unlikely to come about but nice if it did http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/update-sylvia-aims-at-japan-ken-shamrock-15363

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

calex71 wrote: »
    Cro Cop taking on Hong Man Choi is an odd one for me , would have prefered to see a rematch with Overeem.

They originally wanted Cro Cop vs a sumo wrestler. I think that they just want Cro Cop in a match that will draw rather than one that he'll lose (all signs point to an Overeem win in a rematch)

I can't wait for Sakuraba vs Tamura

There was already a thread about it here too: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055433408 They've dropped the "K-1 Premium" part of the name this year, it's just "Dynamite!! 2008" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Thanks fozzy didnt see the other thread when I searched. Mod's can bin this one as its not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Hong man Choi? that's ridiculous. Fedor although never in serious trouble looked like he was taking a poundin before he grabbed the arm. I can honestly see Mirko losing this one.
    Can his kick even reach that high? I wanna see crocop getting back to his best so he should be fighting guys his own size not freaks like this dude. Overeem rematch should be happening not this.
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Kazooie wrote: »
    Hong man Choi? that's ridiculous. Fedor although never in serious trouble looked like he was taking a poundin before he grabbed the arm. I can honestly see Mirko losing this one.
    Can his kick even reach that high? I wanna see crocop getting back to his best so he should be fighting guys his own size not freaks like this dude. Overeem rematch should be happening not this.
    :mad:

Watched Fedor take him on again when i heard about this one there could have been an upset there alright http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i0iZcLIrTQ

While I dont think a loss would be too black a mark on cro cops record I really dont see that he has anything to gain from this fight win lose or draw.

Tim Sylvia wanted in on this card for god sake

A rematch with cro cop vs sapp would have been better than putting them in with freaks.

• Advertisement

dunkamania wrote: »

Awesome!

The idea of a popular cartoon character being "brought to life" has been done many times in pro wrestling in Japan. Some of the best Japanese wrestlers have been guys portraying characters like that (Tiger Mask, Black Tiger, Jushin Liger). So that's the idea behind it

Although I'm pretty sure that the show that the character Sapp's fighting is from ended a few years ago, so I wouldn't be too sure about how successful this particular venture will be

The fighter portraying the character was one of the best college wrestlers in the country, he won the Japanese national tournament four times

And this guy will be in his corner: http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=oynaN7GOAjg

sapp_cartoon.jpg

This is everything that I love about Japan :pac:

I don't think that Cro Cop will have much trouble. Hong Man Choi isn't the same fighter as he was before he had his pituitary gland surgery. I think that Cro Cop will have him figured out

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ooooo. Alvarez/Aoki . Me likey.
    Mirko vs Choi. Now thats just plain weird......And heres me wanting to see the left leg of doom again. Although if he gets that high I'll be a happy man :)

Another fight added, Badr Hari vs Alistair Overeem under K-1 rules

Overeem's losing that one

That's 15 fights scheduled right now

Fozzy wrote: »
    Another fight added, Badr Hari vs Alistair Overeem under K-1 rules

Overeem's losing that one

That's 15 fights scheduled right now

Should have made Badr fight mma as that seemed to be what he wanted to do in the GP final with those punches on the ground and the stomp to the head with the ref in the way :D

What was Badr thinking in that match ?? pure moment of madness though he was taunting the other guy from across the ring and his corner too so more a psychotic episode than a moment of madness

Should have made Badr fight mma as that seemed to be what he wanted to do in the GP final with those punches on the ground and the stomp to the head with the ref in the way :D

What was Badr thinking in that match ?? pure moment of madness though he was taunting the other guy from across the ring and his corner too so more a psychotic episode than a moment of madness

The idea is to have them rematch under MMA rules within a few months

Two more matches were announced:

Hayato Sakurai vs. Katsuyori Shibata
    Yukio Sakaguchi vs. Andy Ologun

Both under MMA rules

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Why is Mousasi fighting K1 rules? UfC should sign him to fight the spider. Would love to see that one.

Kazooie wrote: »
    Why is Mousasi fighting K1 rules? UfC should sign him to fight the spider. Would love to see that one.

FEG wanted a fight between Mousasi and Musashi as their names are pronounced the same in Japan. They agreed to a K-1 fight rather than an MMA fight. In an MMA fight Mousasi would just take Musashi down and submit him. This way it's at least somewhat competitive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Does anyone have any links for the fights?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

When is this? Tonight?

I'll try to find a link. I would love to see Cro Cop fight again as he is probably my favourite fighter. He did not show his best in the UFC.

Its happened already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

goo wrote: »
    Its happened already.

It is still on according to Sherdog. Just 2 more bouts to go.
    Manhoef KO'd Hunt

Sorry yeah this seems to still be going on.
    Good stream:
    http://www.channelsurfing.net/watch-online-tv.php?w=emmatv

If when that starts the noise is unbearable, like it was for me, fiddle with the volume and the disgusting hiss seems to go away. Mirko v Hong Man right now

I just remembered reading that they weren't showing this live. I don't think the fights are being shown in the other they occurred because Musashi v Mousasi was supposed to be after CroCop v Choi but now they're showing the final of the little lad mini tournament thing. I most wanted to see Aoki v Alvarez and Sakuraba v Tamura. Hellboy v JZ should've been great but apparently its been cancelled.

I don't enjoy Saku's fights anymore, I can't stand to see him punched in the face.
    But the entrance, as always, was cool.

I am a huge Sakuraba fan. He is the greatest ground fighter in MMA history. Between 1997 and 2001 he was untouchable. He will go down in the annals as a great. Tamura wont, although he has achieved more than most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Anyone who beats that many Gracies by submission is a legend.

heres the cro cop fight for what it was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtgXQDrdLok

cant kick him in the head might as well wear shoes :D

wasnt expecting much to be honest and was far from last years fight fedor v hong man choi

looks like neither lad really wanted to be there to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

There is a reason why a a reputable sanctioning body wouldnt allow a fighter to wear a mask. Whether or not a a fighter making his debut would be allowed to fight 350 pound bob sapp is also questionable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Killme00 wrote: »

Wow did overeem look a little bigger than his normal big self there :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Not a bad show, a few mismatches mind you..

Very impressed with Mousasi - the guy can do it all. Most well rounded dutch fighter since el guapo..

Not a bad show, a few mismatches mind you..

Very impressed with Mousasi - the guy can do it all. Most well rounded dutch fighter since el guapo..

I thought he was Armenian, did some research on google and he is both apparently. He fought in Ireland as well according to his wikipedia page, anyone here ever see that fight? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gegard_Mousasi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Wow did overeem look a little bigger than his normal big self there :eek:
    Yea overeem looked enormous! I cant believe he used to make 205.. If you compare his physique to even when he fought cro cop, he's way bigger. Go back to his pride days and he has a completely different body type.

He must really be hitting those weights and "supplements" :D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Did CroCop actually break Choi's leg with that kick?

Just wondering why the ref stopped the fight, Mirko didn't even have time to follow up before the ref stopped it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

He fought in Ireland as well according to his wikipedia page, anyone here ever see that fight?

I saw it, it was the strongest martial art!

Advertisement