Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Heating Too Expensive

Options
  • 21-12-2008 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I just recieved my gas bill from Flogas (Bulk PLG) and it was over 1000 Euros for 1100 Litres. I found a bill from 4 years ago and it was exactly half the price, Yikes!

I am considering switching to Home Heating Oil and was wondering if it I could get some advice:

1. Is it cheaper/more efficient?
    2. Can boilers be installed indoors?
    3. What would the cost be approx to switch (Boiler/oil tank/installation costs)?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Bulk PLG is one of the dearest forms of heating.
    Answers to 1: Yes
    2: yes
    3: €3000 approx depending on system layout etc.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

The calorific value of gas is about 34 Mega Joules per kilogram, while kerosine is 44 and so about 30% more heat, so Jamesm is right. Oil is more efficient kg for kg, but it isn't as environmentally friendly if that concerns you. Price: Last year I had a replacement oil boiler installed (7 roomed bungalow) for €1,600. It's a Firebird and is designed to be sited outdoors, which saves a lot of space inside and keeps the smell of kerosine/gas oil out of the house. I bought 706 litres of kerosine this month and paid €394 = €0.55 per litre, so about half the price of your gas.

Advertisement