Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's hear your Music !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Hi folks,

Here's my new years resolution. Stick a tune up on boards.

It's kinda country rock.

Er, that didn't work. Can someone please explain to me how I link to my tune on Soundcloud?

http://soundcloud.com/rockshamrover/viro

Figured it out:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭henessjon

Er, that didn't work. Can someone please explain to me how I link to my tune on Soundcloud?

having worked on the collab curiosity got me :-)
    nice tune kinda needs some vocals to give a direction what are you doing about that side of it?

Thanks Hennesjon,

The bass player will eventually stick on the vocals. I just wanted to put something up to gauge the public mood:D

Thanks again.

Rock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

• Advertisement

eoin5 wrote: »

Nice bass playing. Reminds me of Mark King from Level 42.

What did you record this on?

Nice bass playing. Reminds me of Mark King from Level 42.

What did you record this on?

Reaper for everything bar I used the multiband compressor in adobe audition, that program is gank but I like the multiband for drums. iZotope make it. I must see about getting it unbundled.

Any more opinions/suggestions on this track?

Thanks

Rock

Thanks

Rock

Lovely music, great tight mix. My only suggestion would be to take the the hats back a bit.

Lovely music, great tight mix. My only suggestion would be to take the the hats back a bit.

Thanks Eoin,

Your the second person to mention the hi hats. The last guy (on Gearslutz) said I should humanize them.

I think I'll follow both sets of advise, pull back and humanize.

Thanks for taking the time to listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Thanks

Rock

Good stuff. Be great to hear it with vox. I like the funky drum fills – did you program them or use midi presets? I like how you panned the mix – lots of interesting stuff happening left & right…

Only things I’d change are:
    • Agree the hats need to come down & maybe pan slightly left (personal preference).
    • Seems to be lacking a bit of mud range thump (prob just my work headphones)
    • Add vox!

Nice work

Heres my latest:

Jeez Eoin, could you not have made an effort to write a decent bass line? :D

Very funky! I like it.

Nice drumming too by the way – how are the drums recorded?... I thought you said previously you were using an acoustic kit?... that's a pretty good sound if that’s the case

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Good stuff. Be great to hear it with vox. I like the funky drum fills – did you program them or use midi presets? I like how you panned the mix – lots of interesting stuff happening left & right…

Only things I’d change are:
    • Agree the hats need to come down & maybe pan slightly left (personal preference).
    • Seems to be lacking a bit of mud range thump (prob just my work headphones)
    • Add vox!

Nice work

Thanks for the kind words Yoda.

The drums are a mix of Addictive loops on addictive drums and SSD kits.
    I couldn't begin to play drums.

On the "mud" thing. Do you mean on the kick? Any suggestions for how I remedy that?

Trying to get my buddy to do some Vox. He's a bit shy so it could take a while. Nearly all our stuff is non vox:D

Will try the hi hat panning thing, I just went with the preset position, never thought of panning them.

Thanks

Rock.

Jeez Eoin, could you not have made an effort to write a decent bass line? :D

Very funky! I like it.

Nice drumming too by the way – how are the drums recorded?... I thought you said previously you were using an acoustic kit?... that's a pretty good sound if that’s the case

Like this:

9e80081b5c85a21843e03c80c39e17f5.jpg

The wardrobe adds so much, I recommend it to any studio ;)

Its a set of audix mics into an m-audio profire. To be honest I'm not too happy with it, I recorded something else a bit heavier the same day and I just couldnt get the snare to sound half right in the room. I've absolutely no way of getting a place to do up near here for recording live drums so I'm looking at fully digital soon I think.

Rock - that should have read "mid" not "mud"... it was just a general comment on the overall sound - I didn't think it had a lot of mid range thump, but like I said, could've just been my headphones

Eoin - that's a great drum sound considering that set up - I'm amazed you even got a kit in there! Fully digital is a great option - much improved sound quality, minimal hassle, more flexibility all round - it's highly recommended!

Rock - that should have read "mid" not "mud"... it was just a general comment on the overall sound - I didn't think it had a lot of mid range thump, but like I said, could've just been my headphones

Eoin - that's a great drum sound considering that set up - I'm amazed you even got a kit in there! Fully digital is a great option - much improved sound quality, minimal hassle, more flexibility all round - it's highly recommended!

Thanks Yoda.

Yes the digital route is definitely the one to take for drums in a home set up. Keeps you sane and saves you money. Speeds up production too.

Rock

We've been busy trying to finish off 10 tracks... didn't quite get them all done in Feb as planned, but here's the first of them. Let us know what yis think...

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=22743

We've been busy trying to finish off 10 tracks... didn't quite get them all done in Feb as planned, but here's the first of them. Let us know what yis think...

Very good, I love the heart beat effect at the end and the clap at the start. As usual your singer has a fantastic voice, very laid back and languid.

The only thing that sounded off to me was just the level of the lead solo, I'd have liked that a bit more up front.

Some great new drum sounds in there, your obviously putting the digital kit to good use.

Well done.

Rock.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Nice!

The only thing I'd say is that the vocal seems to not quite sit in the mix as much I'd like to hear... but that's personal taste obviously!

The drums are cool.

Actually, the more I listen to it, the more I wished the separate layers were mixed a bit more distinctly. But again, that's just taste!

Overall it's cool... very produced sounding and dry in a "this came out of a studio" kinda vibe as opposed to a live sound, which I assume is the idea.

I'm gonna stop there as I haven't even finished my first cup of coffee today.

I'll listen again later and if I have anything else to add (or if I need to retract any thing stupid) I will.

Overall, very good!

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated. Any other comments (good or bad) are welcome. I'm hoping to finish off another track this evening, so I'll post that when it's done.

• Advertisement

Lovely mix of sounds, fills out the spectrum very nicely. Really like the drums, the slapback verb works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SonasRec

Here's my contribution.....complete with some nice visuals from the kingdom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxLsry6etB4&hd=1

SonasRec wrote: »

Sounds great!

The only thing I'd say it that I don't understand, taking the long view, why those vocals bookend the song....?

It's like sticking 20 seconds of Nina Simone in Front of Coltrane's Giant Steps... (for example).

Seems like you'd be being more honest to the song to leave them off...

But still, that's a nitpick... very nice recording, well played and cool vibe!

SonasRec wrote: »

Love it.

Two comments. The bass seems a bit muddy, like it's in another room or something.

The drums seem a bit to far back and not snappy enough.

Apart from those two things it's brilliant tune.

Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SonasRec

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Re: the vocal bookending the piece, I suppose you'd have to hear the album to see what we're about. There's a couple of more tracks here http://www.myspace.com/avatarsounds

Re: the bass being muddy, I had difficulty on getting the bass to come through on smaller speakers. All of the tracks are written by the bass player, James, and the bass lines are probably the most important thing in the mix. I think I was more successful on our first album using Waves maxbass. Getting the bass to sit right in a dub style piece is tough and a constant learning experience.

I have a new, half-finished, demo up on soundcloud for the next 24 hours.

I would love some feedback!

Puhleeze!

:P

http://soundcloud.com/the-riot-tapes

It's the top track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭progsound

Havent mixed anything in a while but here is an old track i was messing around with as iv finally got some time off.

Its not what your used to around here though, its tech metal but any opinions on the mix are welcome :D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/749671/6foag/new%20mix%20bass.mp3

Hi folks,
    Would appreciate feedback on this tune. Just finished mixing it & it's probably as good as I can get it, so any comments welcome. All home recorded/mixed on Pro Tools via combination of MBoxes/003 rack in our home set ups. Drums are played using Roland vdrums to trigger Superior Drummer 2.
    Pictureland

Also, I already got feedback on the song below on the "let's hear your music" thread, but thought I'd post it here again in case anybody else wanted to comment...
    Once

We're finalising mixes on another few tracks at the minute, so any feedback on these 2 is much appreciated & will be useful as we mix the next batch of tunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

good job, your new set up makes a huge difference .

ok my amateur opinion not going into too much detail as im sure the pros will spot some lower mids something or other ;) :

i think picture land needs to lower or lose the guitar on the far right - its distracting from the vocal - or even lower it alot more - or verb it back into the mix.

and the over all mix seems to suffer vocal volume peaks - not distorted , just over powering the music .

but its very nice job .

'once'

i think the snare is a bit to present for this mix - a bit to police-ey sounding to my ears, or to aggressive for this track - maybe a smoother or more blendey one ?

and some of the snare fills are a little too busy / pushy for the track.

but again another fine job.

youve made some great progress with these

well done.

• Advertisement

Another amateur opinion here for you ZV on Pictureland.

Another good tune from the ZV Studios. The vocals sound a lot louder than the rest of the track though for me. I'm not sure if everything else should be bumped up or if the vocals should be pushed back, same difference I suppose.

I'd love to hear what you guys would sound like on an up tempo number.

Rock.

Advertisement