Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's hear your Music !

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

hey lads,
    this is a site i did on wix.com with a load of my music on it, would be great to know what you think!
    http://www.wix.com/sebastianadams/sebastianadams

Some of the music is ok. :)

I think some of the text is pitched a bit oddly... maybe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Hi folks, I have a new unfinished track up on soundcloud. Has some vocals.

Have a listen and let me know what you think.

It's called Here Forever.

Ta.

Rock.

http://www.soundcloud.com/rockshamrover

Ta.

Rock.

Great work Rock... I'll give you detailed comments soon, but first, who's singing? IS that you? :)

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Great work Rock... I'll give you detailed comments soon, but first, who's singing? IS that you? :)

Thanks Chris, no that's the bass player. He'll go mad, he didn't know I was going to post it.:D

Thanks Chris, no that's the bass player. He'll go mad, he didn't know I was going to post it.:D

Ah!

What exactly is the story with all these recordings and this project?

I mean... is a band that plays out?

• Advertisement

Ah!

What exactly is the story with all these recordings and this project?

I mean... is a band that plays out?

No band, just me and the bass player. It's our hobby:D

There was a band about 15 years ago.

It's just me, him, Logic and a few plug ins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Ta.

Rock.

I really like the music in this... maybe it's just that I'm of that, er, "vintage", but it has a late 80’s/early 90's vibe off it – a mix of a lot of bands that I like from around that time. Actually, it wouldn’t sound out of place on a Keane or Coldplay album either (that’s meant as a compliment).

Dunno what you’re doing on guitar there but sounds great (I’d call it “infinite guitar”… but only ‘cos I read about it somewhere). I like the piano & bass – they work well together.

Yeah, listened to this a few times now – really like the music – it’s catchy, simple & straightforward (which I like).

Where’d the vocals go?... they start off promising enough – but then they just stop? The voice suits the music, probably not the greatest range in the world, but then again that’s not always a necessity depending on the type of music.

I’m not keen on the drums – the pattern is too “programmed” for me. Sound-wise, the snare needs more presence. The toms sound great. The hi-hat is too repetitive – there’s no dynamics at all – that’d be Ok in a dance track, but for this type of track the hats can really help lead from one section to the next.

Good stuff– well done. I’m still humming the piano part – you’ll have to finish the lyrics/melody now!

No band, just me and the bass player. It's our hobby:D

There was a band about 15 years ago.

It's just me, him, Logic and a few plug ins.

Hmm.. ok... in that case I would say there's very little to complain about!

It reminds me a lot of things like the police and devo... so all good ****...

;)

I still think some of the midi is a bit staccato for my taste, but we talked about that previously... overall it's my fave thing of yours I think.. very cool stuff!

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    I really like the music in this... maybe it's just that I'm of that, er, "vintage", but it has a late 80’s/early 90's vibe off it – a mix of a lot of bands that I like from around that time. Actually, it wouldn’t sound out of place on a Keane or Coldplay album either (that’s meant as a compliment).

Dunno what you’re doing on guitar there but sounds great (I’d call it “infinite guitar”… but only ‘cos I read about it somewhere). I like the piano & bass – they work well together.

Yeah, listened to this a few times now – really like the music – it’s catchy, simple & straightforward (which I like).

Where’d the vocals go?... they start off promising enough – but then they just stop? The voice suits the music, probably not the greatest range in the world, but then again that’s not always a necessity depending on the type of music.

I’m not keen on the drums – the pattern is too “programmed” for me. Sound-wise, the snare needs more presence. The toms sound great. The hi-hat is too repetitive – there’s no dynamics at all – that’d be Ok in a dance track, but for this type of track the hats can really help lead from one section to the next.

Good stuff– well done. I’m still humming the piano part – you’ll have to finish the lyrics/melody now!

Jeez that's a great review Yoda, I'd nearly buy the song myself now after reading this. :D

The usual story, the thing is only half done and the lyrics still have to be written:D

Lots of useful advise which I will try to apply.

Thanks a lot

Rock

Hmm.. ok... in that case I would say there's very little to complain about!

It reminds me a lot of things like the police and devo... so all good ****...

;)

I still think some of the midi is a bit staccato for my taste, but we talked about that previously... overall it's my fave thing of yours I think.. very cool stuff!

Hey Chris, what can I say? First Yoda and then you. I'm obviously going in the right direction.

Thanks a lot again.

Rock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭henessjon

Hey Chris, what can I say? First Yoda and then you. I'm obviously going in the right direction.

Thanks a lot again.

Rock

and i like it too ..but its not finished ..

henessjon wrote: »
    and i like it too ..but its not finished ..

Cheers Henessjon,

Rock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Finished a new track with my band the other day, first time we've used synthetic sounds. Done in Ableton, we did some kick drums, other drum samples, an electric piano, and a synthesiser. We also used live guitar, bass and vocals. We were really excited about how it sounded, but it's not very well-done (all this is pretty new to us). We'd love to feedback and suggestions on how to polish it up a bit :)

I'm sure a lot of people would be cringing at the way we decided to process the vocals, but it's a sound we're going for rather than a rubbish job. Promise ;)

http://soundcloud.com/captain-wow/stolen-moment-guitar-centre-mix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭dasdog

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Finished a new track with my band the other day, first time we've used synthetic sounds. Done in Ableton, we did some kick drums, other drum samples, an electric piano, and a synthesiser. We also used live guitar, bass and vocals. We were really excited about how it sounded, but it's not very well-done (all this is pretty new to us). We'd love to feedback and suggestions on how to polish it up a bit :)

I'm sure a lot of people would be cringing at the way we decided to process the vocals, but it's a sound we're going for rather than a rubbish job. Promise ;)

http://soundcloud.com/captain-wow/stolen-moment-guitar-centre-mix
    I really like what you've done with the vocals...very easy on the ears. Not sure if the 8-bit sounding drum samples add anything though. Perhaps less is more in regard to them but no complaints about the vocal processing from me.

dasdog wrote: »
    I really like what you've done with the vocals...very easy on the ears. Not sure if the 8-bit sounding drum samples add anything though. Perhaps less is more in regard to them but no complaints about the vocal processing from me.

Hmm, I know what you mean... At the time we really liked them. The two of us in charge of the programming are big Venetian Snares/Aphex Twin/Autechre fans, we were trying to go for the glitchy style of drum programming. The repetition didn't bother us too much because we're on a Neu kick too :p

I'll get the lads to read your post, thanks for the feedback! Great to have it heard by fresh ears :) Thanks again!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Debut album out today, you can listen/buy here.

New video up too:
    http://vimeo.com/13004277

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Sounds good Fitz. Not my cup of tea musically but it sounds really good. Love the subject matter too, its a great book. One that never gets old.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭goatboy1000

Here's a few of our tunes.
    Decent enough quality demos but we're going to be properly recording around 15 songs this month some time.

http://soundcloud.com/salad-circus/all-jokes-on-me

http://soundcloud.com/salad-circus/jimmy-rip

http://soundcloud.com/salad-circus/jungle-monkey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Decent enough quality demos but we're going to be properly recording around 15 songs this month some time.

I really like the sound - it ain't dance music though.

I really like the underproduced sound. For that kind of music it should sound a little sloppy - if you tighten it up too much it will sound like sterile dog sh1t.

One thing you need to do before you re-record the songs - they sound good but they need an extra little push. Try playing them on acoustic guitars in front of friends over a few beers - get the singer to jam with the vocals and lyrics - try make to make the songs more like story telling. Most of it's great - but it's just lacking little lyrical kicks - you don't need anything too outrageous - but outrageous would be fun too.

I really like what you have there - just needs one little push before I'm sending it to friends going "you have to listen to this"

Pretty cool! Def decent enough quality for a demo...

Insanely, I think your singer sounds a LOT like Steven Tyler...

;)

And that's not an insult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭goatboy1000

Thanks guys.
    It's good to have some fresh ears on them. We've heard them so much at this stage!

Here's something new (we have 7 new tunes on the go at the mo, this is the first to BEGIN to emerge).

It's called Open Eyed Dreams:

http://soundcloud.com/the-riot-tapes/open-eyed-dream-not-even-close-to-being-finished-mix

As the mix name suggests, it's not even vaguely close to being finished... we're recording actual strings for the end (already recorded some cello for the choruses, but it isn't in this mix), I'm working on drums this week and there's literally about 50 guitar/bass tracks that have to be sorted through and comp'd.

Still, you now me, I like to share early versions and get brutal feedback.

So...

What to you think?

Thanks!

I'd really appreciate some opinions on another track, if anyone wouldn't mind sharing their ears :)

This one. Been mixing it all day, still not sure how good it sounds. I was hoping someone could help me out? :)

Thanks a million guys.

Here's something new (we have 7 new tunes on the go at the mo, this is the first to BEGIN to emerge).

It's called Open Eyed Dreams:

http://soundcloud.com/the-riot-tapes/open-eyed-dream-not-even-close-to-being-finished-mix

As the mix name suggests, it's not even vaguely close to being finished... we're recording actual strings for the end (already recorded some cello for the choruses, but it isn't in this mix), I'm working on drums this week and there's literally about 50 guitar/bass tracks that have to be sorted through and comp'd.

Still, you now me, I like to share early versions and get brutal feedback.

So...

What to you think?

Thanks!

I really like the guitar sound, and the reverby noises that come in right before the second verse are really cool. The antiphony between normal and effected vocals is really effective too, love those sounds.

Be sure to post here when the strings are done! :cool:

I really like the guitar sound, and the reverby noises that come in right before the second verse are really cool. The antiphony between normal and effected vocals is really effective too, love those sounds.

Be sure to post here when the strings are done! :cool:

Don't you worry... You'll be begging me to stop blabbing about this song soon enough!

Thanks for the kind words... the end will be massive sounding very soon!

I'd really appreciate some opinions on another track, if anyone wouldn't mind sharing their ears :)

This one. Been mixing it all day, still not sure how good it sounds. I was hoping someone could help me out? :)

Thanks a million guys.

Who doesn't love false starts?

Initially I think the vox are a bit low... I like the vibe though... I think there's Can and Radiohead in there...

Actually, if you're trying to go for a Slint kind of thing.. the vox level is fine..

I like it overall!

Who doesn't love false starts?

Hahah, yeah, I never cut it out... I sorta like the atmosphere it gives. Credibility suicide?
    Initially I think the vox are a bit low... I like the vibe though... I think there's Can and Radiohead in there...

Actually, if you're trying to go for a Slint kind of thing.. the vox level is fine..

I like it overall!

I was finding it tough to get the vocal level right. I think I might ask him to re-do his vocal, he didn't really back up for the louder parts. I don't know if it's really unusable, but I'm only starting to take studio practice seriously now, I'm finding a lot of this kinda confusing and frustrating.

I'm working on drums this week and there's literally about 50 guitar/bass tracks that have to be sorted through and comp'd.

I knew it. Milan "Oh we do it all in one or two takes - we don't need to comp" was a Fcuking liar.

YOU ARE A LIAR.

Really love the soundcloud open eyed dreams - everything is sounding much better - you're getting closer and closer to really having something there.

Don't over do the production. There's one of your songs I really love - but it's loaded with spurious bits and pieces, would sound great if you stripped them away.

Your vocalist is sounding better all the time - what's her name?

There is something I've noticed on the vocal takes - they always start perfectly in tune but feel a little "uptight" as your singer relaxes and gets into it, it sounds really good. I think for takes, if you had her sing a bit ahead of the take so she was warmed up enough it might sound a lot better. Or whatever you find that works - the first bits on the vocals of your stuff always to me sound to "uptight" but they relax as they get in.

She has a great voice - there's some great textures in there she could bring out more - but there's no point in recording bits where she sounds nervous.

I think you should encourage her vocals more - and encourage her to take more risks with the lyrics. She's really good - but it sounds like there's more that's not coming out. maybe you need to work with her - try improvised vocal/lyric takes on songs just to get her more comfortable. It's so close - just a few more inches.

Anyway Milan - you'd be a real fcuking criminal to fcuk it up at this point.

krd wrote: »
    I knew it. Milan "Oh we do it all in one or two takes - we don't need to comp" was a Fcuking liar.

YOU ARE A LIAR.

Really love the soundcloud open eyed dreams - everything is sounding much better - you're getting closer and closer to really having something there.

Don't over do the production. There's one of your songs I really love - but it's loaded with spurious bits and pieces, would sound great if you stripped them away.

Your vocalist is sounding better all the time - what's her name?

There is something I've noticed on the vocal takes - they always start perfectly in tune but feel a little "uptight" as your singer relaxes and gets into it, it sounds really good. I think for takes, if you had her sing a bit ahead of the take so she was warmed up enough it might sound a lot better. Or whatever you find that works - the first bits on the vocals of your stuff always to me sound to "uptight" but they relax as they get in.

She has a great voice - there's some great textures in there she could bring out more - but there's no point in recording bits where she sounds nervous.

I think you should encourage her vocals more - and encourage her to take more risks with the lyrics. She's really good - but it sounds like there's more that's not coming out. maybe you need to work with her - try improvised vocal/lyric takes on songs just to get her more comfortable. It's so close - just a few more inches.

Anyway Milan - you'd be a real fcuking criminal to fcuk it up at this point.

Thanks and I will carefully go over that feedback with my singer, Elaine, and see what we can do!

Most of the lyrics are mine (though she wrote these on her own!), so you can't blame her too much ;)

I actually LOVE the lyrics on this, btw.

BTW, which song do you think is overloaded with bits and pieces? EIL?

Oh and re: comping tracks:

All the songs except this one were basically me recording things like guitar and bass quickly, as a guide, then never re-recording .. Well, until Tim gets involved. So on EIL, for example, the bass and guitars are all un comped (but of course, edited a bit, as the arrangements change).

The VOX are comped sometimes, but as she's growing as a singer I try and comp as little as poss!

I prolly should comp my own performances more, but it more fun to play with synths and edit velocities on drums. ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks and I will carefully go over that feedback with my singer, Elaine, and see what we can do!

Most of the lyrics are mine, so you can't blame her too much ;)

I actually LOVE the lyrics on this, btw.

First - I'd like to say - that sound cloud stuff is the best you've done.

Your vocalist, I think she sounds great - she's a really great singer. I'm just hearing little bits of hesitation in the vocals. And it isn't something you can beat out of her - when she sings, the song really has to be her own. You should talk to her about it - play the songs with yourself and her over a few beers - don't be so precious about the lyrics - she may have some great ideas, or at least know where they're wrong. You have to work out something between yourself and her where's she comfortable to sing herself raw for.
    BTW, which song do you think is overloaded with bits and pieces? EIL?

Not if, but when.

I think you have a really great song there. The sound cloud version is way better than the myspace one. ONE the drummer has to rethink the hi-hats. The ones on the myspace version were pointless 16ths, but even on the the soundcloud one he's still trying to be fancy.

I think the intro should just be a simple organ line and Elaines voice - then drop in the rest. (but not as simple as that - you'll have to figure it out yourself)

It sounds a lot better than the myspace version.

I love the chorus - and it gets stuck in my head for days when I hear it.

But how I think it should sound.

A pub 1979 - a singer, a drummer, a guitar player with a krusty amp no pedals - same with the bass player - keyboard player with a farfisa organ.

Milan - if you can throw away the bits that you don't need and get it right, you have song they'll play on the radio for years and years and fcuking years.

First step - get the drummer to stop Fcking around with the hi-hats. No one upon no one, ever buys or wants to listen to a record because a drummer is doing some fancy off time hi-hat **** - they just don't - they just do not.

It's got a killer chorus. Everything should be framed around the song - great song.

The ropey bass song combined with the voice is a real killer - if you could get a strong vocal, farfisa organ, ropey bass with bubbly drums - non effected, 70s pub band guitar all together in the one piece, you have a killer on your hands.

Advertisement