Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's hear your Music !

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

krd wrote: »
    First - I'd like to say - that sound cloud stuff is the best you've done.

Your vocalist, I think she sounds great - she's a really great singer. I'm just hearing little bits of hesitation in the vocals. And it isn't something you can beat out of her - when she sings, the song really has to be her own. You should talk to her about it - play the songs with yourself and her over a few beers - don't be so precious about the lyrics - she may have some great ideas, or at least know where they're wrong. You have to work out something between yourself and her where's she comfortable to sing herself raw for.

Not if, but when.

I think you have a really great song there. The sound cloud version is way better than the myspace one. ONE the drummer has to rethink the hi-hats. The ones on the myspace version were pointless 16ths, but even on the the soundcloud one he's still trying to be fancy.

I think the intro should just be a simple organ line and Elaines voice - then drop in the rest. (but not as simple as that - you'll have to figure it out yourself)

It sounds a lot better than the myspace version.

I love the chorus - and it gets stuck in my head for days when I hear it.

But how I think it should sound.

A pub 1979 - a singer, a drummer, a guitar player with a krusty amp no pedals - same with the bass player - keyboard player with a farfisa organ.

Milan - if you can throw away the bits that you don't need and get it right, you have song they'll play on the radio for years and years and fcuking years.

First step - get the drummer to stop Fcking around with the hi-hats. No one upon no one, ever buys or wants to listen to a record because a drummer is doing some fancy off time hi-hat **** - they just don't - they just do not.

It's got a killer chorus. Everything should be framed around the song - great song.

The ropey bass song combined with the voice is a real killer - if you could get a strong vocal, farfisa organ, ropey bass with bubbly drums - non effected, 70s pub band guitar all together in the one piece, you have a killer on your hands.

Thanks for ALL of that.

Will DEF think hard bout what you've said! Promise.

And hey, so you know, there's not a single recording with real drums yet, including NIBW.

So again, blame me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭goatboy1000

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Here's something new (we have 7 new tunes on the go at the mo, this is the first to BEGIN to emerge).

It's called Open Eyed Dreams:

http://soundcloud.com/the-riot-tapes/open-eyed-dream-not-even-close-to-being-finished-mix

As the mix name suggests, it's not even vaguely close to being finished... we're recording actual strings for the end (already recorded some cello for the choruses, but it isn't in this mix), I'm working on drums this week and there's literally about 50 guitar/bass tracks that have to be sorted through and comp'd.

Still, you now me, I like to share early versions and get brutal feedback.

So...

What to you think?

Thanks!

Sounds great so far. Looking forward to hearing it finished.
    The vocal level could get a bit louder around the 2min 20sec to 3min 10sec mark, as the performance gets louder... , it seems like it has the room available. Would you consider a reverb/delay here?
    Lovely sound though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Hiya lads. Here is a live version of Streets of Vigo by Fling. Its filmed at a place called LiveShed (similar idea to Balcony TV but in a shed) which may be of interest to some of you. The website will be launched very soon. We highly recommend the experience!

Looking forward to your feedback. :)

Sounds great so far. Looking forward to hearing it finished.
    The vocal level could get a bit louder around the 2min 20sec to 3min 10sec mark, as the performance gets louder... , it seems like it has the room available. Would you consider a reverb/delay here?
    Lovely sound though.

Thanks man!

Oh yeah this is completely unmixed.

There's a lot more coming.. And then a mix!

;)

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Hiya lads. Here is a live version of Streets of Vigo by Fling. Its filmed at a place called LiveShed (similar idea to Balcony TV but in a shed) which may be of interest to some of you. The website will be launched very soon. We highly recommend the experience!

Hey GB, this is cool. Like I've said in the past I don't really understand this genre and it's conventions, but you guys are doing cool stuff!

That shed thing looks cool, but tell me were they sound folks?

I only ask because of all the conspiracy theory stuff on their website... if they're crazy people... well... ;)

• Advertisement

BTW:

Here's a slightly newer version of OED... def sounding better ever day!

http://soundcloud.com/the-riot-tapes/open-eyed-dreams-not-even-close-to-being-finished-mix-v2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Hey GB, this is cool. Like I've said in the past I don't really understand this genre and it's conventions, but you guys are doing cool stuff!

That shed thing looks cool, but tell me were they sound folks?

I only ask because of all the conspiracy theory stuff on their website... if they're crazy people... well... ;)
    It was a cool place and they are really sound people. Totally enjoyed the whole thing.

It was a cool place and they are really sound people. Totally enjoyed the whole thing.

awesome info thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

http://soundcloud.com/dahliabassist/probably-naruto-related

My first tickling of digital drum recording, I never even considered using an electronic kit for recording until experienced lads like Yoda and DaDumtish started recommending them with good software like Superior Drummer 2 (which I'm used for this). I'm extremely happy with what I'm getting out of it. I love how you can get a full sound without mudding everything up. Thanks lads :D

eoin5 wrote: »
    http://soundcloud.com/dahliabassist/probably-naruto-related

My first tickling of digital drum recording, I never even considered using an electronic kit for recording until experienced lads like Yoda and DaDumtish started recommending them with good software like Superior Drummer 2 (which I'm used for this). I'm extremely happy with what I'm getting out of it. I love how you can get a full sound without mudding everything up. Thanks lads :D

That link be broken says I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭dasdog

It doesn't take much for that tune to grow on me. Nice to hear/see a live version.
    BTW:

Here's a slightly newer version of OED... def sounding better ever day!

http://soundcloud.com/the-riot-tapes/open-eyed-dreams-not-even-close-to-being-finished-mix-v2

"not even close to being finished mix" - sounds okay to me for a rough cut Milan :)

That link be broken says I.

Thanks, soundcloud seems to have lost it :rolleyes:

I'll pop it back up when I'm home.

dasdog wrote: »
    "not even close to being finished mix" - sounds okay to me for a rough cut Milan :)

Thanks DD.. wait til you hear it by the end of this week...

We're spending the next month "finishing" the record... then the hard part starts...

Anyway, thanks again ;D

Thanks, soundcloud seems to have lost it :rolleyes:

I'll pop it back up when I'm home.

BTW: This didn't work right after you posted it either... I tried then as well!

BTW: This didn't work right after you posted it either... I tried then as well!

Hmm, I'm prob doing something wrong so.

Hmm, I'm prob doing something wrong so.

PM me if you want a hand ;)

It did!

I'll listen and feedback later!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Eoin, you need some vocals

Just audition bunches of people - I'm sure you'll find someone to make a song over it.

Learn to sing yourself - if you have frustrated singers in the band may as well get off the pot and give it a go - singing is like learning to play the guitar, you'll song like **** for weeks/months before you get a grip on it. There is a vocal shaped hole missing in the recording.

Learning to sing in front of friends is worse than admitting you like to **** children - tell your friends you're a paedophile - if they still accept you, they're willing to put up with your singing til you get it down.

Eoin, you need some vocals

Just audition bunches of people - I'm sure you'll find someone to make a song over it.

Learn to sing yourself - if you have frustrated singers in the band may as well get off the pot and give it a go - singing is like learning to play the guitar, you'll song like **** for weeks/months before you get a grip on it. There is a vocal shaped hole missing in the recording.

Learning to sing in front of friends is worse than admitting you like to **** children - tell your friends you're a paedophile - if they still accept you, they're willing to put up with your singing til you get it down.

Thanks, yea its not finished. Not sure what to do with it yet. I've a mate who might be interested but hes busy with his own stuff at the mo. Not sure if I've the voice for it.

• Advertisement

Tim's a flipping genius:

http://soundcloud.com/the-riot-tapes/open-eyed-dreams-not-even-close-to-being-finished-mix-v3

More unmixed madness, but wow... I'm just really amazed!

There's also about 30 seconds of a new downer of a tune I just posted:

http://soundcloud.com/the-riot-tapes/compare-just-once-through-for-e

EDIT:

I stayed up a bit longer (is it really 2:30... ugh) and made a bit more of an effort:

http://soundcloud.com/the-riot-tapes/compare-a-bit-more-of-an-arrangement

I'm expecting hatred.

And some insanity, which we all like, but don't really have a home for:

http://soundcloud.com/the-riot-tapes/i-know-you-know-everybody-knows

This will probably all be revised/deleted/denied at some point... so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Here's a few of our tunes.
    Decent enough quality demos but we're going to be properly recording around 15 songs this month some time.

http://soundcloud.com/salad-circus/all-jokes-on-me

http://soundcloud.com/salad-circus/jimmy-rip

http://soundcloud.com/salad-circus/jungle-monkey
    That's really cool. I can hear bits of Television, Aerosmith, Jane's Addiction, Jellyfish, sounds from 90's indie movies... loads of good influences. Very 90's college radio. Sounds familiar but new. You're on to a winner if you keep working at it. Get the songs tighter, shorter, punchier with quicker transitions. I'm digging Jimmy Rip and Jungle Monkey much, much more than All Jokes On Me. Singers voice is great, but is much cooler in the higher register.

Thanks, yea its not finished. Not sure what to do with it yet. I've a mate who might be interested but hes busy with his own stuff at the mo. Not sure if I've the voice for it.

Eoin, this is why Phil Spector always carried a gun in his sock. Get in there and sing that fcuking song before I have to come down to yah.

Eoin, if you want to sing and have the songs in you, sing them in front of friends over a few beers or whatever. At first your voice will crack up and they will laugh at you...once you get over that hump....your voice will get stronger and they will stop laughing.

it's like a high diving board. You know all them moves - you've waited your whole life for this - now jump off that fcuking board into the water

If you want, you can pay me money to come down and make you walk the plank.

Eoin, this is why Phil Spector always carried a gun in his sock. Get in there and sing that fcuking song before I have to come down to yah.

Eoin, if you want to sing and have the songs in you, sing them in front of friends over a few beers or whatever. At first your voice will crack up and they will laugh at you...once you get over that hump....your voice will get stronger and they will stop laughing.

it's like a high diving board. You know all them moves - you've waited your whole life for this - now jump off that fcuking board into the water

If you want, you can pay me money to come down and make you walk the plank.

Fantastic! I guess I have to now :D

Tim's a flipping genius:

http://soundcloud.com/the-riot-tapes/open-eyed-dreams-not-even-close-to-being-finished-mix-v3

More unmixed madness, but wow... I'm just really amazed!

The opening guitar line is really beautiful. Get rid of the bassy bits of the crunchieness - and have it wrap around Elaine's voice as she comes in.
    There's also about 30 seconds of a new downer of a tune I just posted:

http://soundcloud.com/the-riot-tapes/compare-just-once-through-for-e
    I'm expecting hatred.

And some insanity, which we all like, but don't really have a home for:

http://soundcloud.com/the-riot-tapes/i-know-you-know-everybody-knows

This will probably all be revised/deleted/denied at some point... so...

I really like this too. But all you've got is an intro stretched over a minute or whatever. And yeah, I recognise the NIN influence, but that's good too - since everyone else is trying to sound like the last crap "big hit" English Indie Band. And, Jesus it's more than 20 years since Pretty Hate Machine

Milan, something went wrong with the posting - I really like the "downer" tune. The guitar and the organ sounds really great (the loud guitar piece needs a bit of work) It'll sound great with a vocal across it.

Love the spikey guitar chops.

You have really great melodies and stuff

Thanks KRD!

I thik it's funny you said PHM which, along with TDS are really the only NIN I like. That IKYKEK is actually the outcome of some very accidental drum programming, which became sorta instant inspiration.

There's actually a simple acoustic part which goes over it, which gives it a Gorillaz or SFA feel, but it's a long way from being really usable.

As for the downer, Compare. The verses are different. The first vere actually starts when the drums come in. The loud bit seems a bit insane until the vocals are on top of it. I also need to write proper drum for it.

Really glad you dig it though! It's gonna stay all rough (relative to say OED), but WILL be enbiggened by TIM, sound wise.

And we'll do the VOX with Tim as well.

As for OED, we agree that guitar needs to be fixed.... Glad you like the idea though!!

Really, KRD, thanks for all the feedback!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭goatboy1000

pinksoir wrote: »
    That's really cool. I can hear bits of Television, Aerosmith, Jane's Addiction, Jellyfish, sounds from 90's indie movies... loads of good influences. Very 90's college radio. Sounds familiar but new. You're on to a winner if you keep working at it. Get the songs tighter, shorter, punchier with quicker transitions. I'm digging Jimmy Rip and Jungle Monkey much, much more than All Jokes On Me. Singers voice is great, but is much cooler in the higher register.

Wow, thanks very much. Interesting you say that about All Jokes on Me. The singer writes all the songs and he has the exact same opinion as you but the rest of us in the band were disagreeing with him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭dasdog

Choose Life. That song wouldn't be out of place if it played a part role in that infamous movie about 80's heroin addicts in Edinburgh.
    Wow, thanks very much. Interesting you say that about All Jokes on Me. The singer writes all the songs and he has the exact same opinion as you but the rest of us in the band were disagreeing with him...

I know a good few people who would happily have those songs among their collection. Very interesting for band music which isn't normally my thing.

• Advertisement

Milan - on Open Eyed Dreams I've had an idea.

If you could put a false ending, something a bar or two long with noise and stuff, at the end of the first section with the guitar and voice, Just before the bass drops. So when it does come in there's more of a "surprise".

A dramatic pause.

Advertisement