Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's hear your Music !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i like the guitars - HUGE!

the drums sadly are lost - if these were big up the center it would be a massive sounding track.

try sending the kick snare and toms to a side group and crush them , and blend em back in with the rest

coudlnt really hear the bass - needs some mid clarity , better of DI ing a real one if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭grandslamsmith

www.muzu.tv/soundtraxs/grandslamsmith-let-me-talk-to-jimmy-music-video/728177?country=ie

Check out this link to a great Movie competition, I've submitted a score over teh Classic Car chase from The French Connection.

Interested to hear what you'se think

Slam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

www.muzu.tv/soundtraxs/grandslamsmith-let-me-talk-to-jimmy-music-video/728177?country=ie

Check out this link to a great Movie competition, I've submitted a score over teh Classic Car chase from The French Connection.

Interested to hear what you'se think

Slam!

It's a good track in it's own right but it doesn't feel connected to what's happening on the screen.

If I was to listen to this track with my eyes closed, I would not be thinking, car chase.

Is the competition still open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭grandslamsmith

Thanks for the feedback, but I think you'e looking at it the wrong way. Scores are about making you feel something - how dull and mundane it is to box scores into categories? Must admit when I close MY eyes and listen to Stuck in the Middle with You by Stealers Wheel I don't think about cops having their ears lopped off.

Slam

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Thanks for the feedback, but I think you'e looking at it the wrong way. Scores are about making you feel something - how dull and mundane it is to box scores into categories? Must admit when I close MY eyes and listen to Stuck in the Middle with You by Stealers Wheel I don't think about cops having their ears lopped off.

Slam

im no expert but arent scores meant to enhance the viewing experience.there purposely written to add to the drama,sorrow,triumpt etc.

think of jaws.

now adding an existing song to a piece of film isnt really a score its a soundtrack.
    the stuck in the middle with you song was purposely played by the character in the story,it wasn't laid over the film afterwards.it was part of the scene like another character

i know its being a bit padantic but i agree with rocks points:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

seannash wrote: »
    im no expert but arent scores meant to enhance the viewing experience.there purposely written to add to the drama,sorrow,triumpt etc.

think of jaws.

now adding an existing song to a piece of film isnt really a score its a soundtrack.
    the stuck in the middle with you song was purposely played by the character in the story,it wasn't laid over the film afterwards.it was part of the scene like another character

i know its being a bit padantic but i agree with rocks points:)

Sorry Slam, don't mean to burst your bubble. It's a very good track but doesn't work with the scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

DaDumTish wrote: »
    i like the guitars - HUGE!

the drums sadly are lost - if these were big up the center it would be a massive sounding track.

try sending the kick snare and toms to a side group and crush them , and blend em back in with the rest

coudlnt really hear the bass - needs some mid clarity , better of DI ing a real one if you can.

I did struggle with drums. I'm currently using BFD Lite which only allows a single stereo channel. It does have an intenral mixer but only for faders, no EQ or comps. EZ Drummer is on it's way though.
    I've also gotten a proper P-Bass, so I'll have another go.
    Thanks for listening.

Slam

Firstly, I don't understand why you'd come to an open forum looking for opinions and tell people that they are wrong when they offer one.

Secondly, I'd agree with the comments so far. I'm no expert by any stretch but I do watch movies and this doesn't really work for me.
    It seems you were going for cool "Guy Richie" type vibe, which works pretty well up till the 40s mark and then fizzles and becomes dull and lifeless. I'd be switching off before the 1 min mark.
    It's like the tune picks up in steps along with the intensity of the chase but it plateaus quite quickly and becomes a pretty limp, non integrated part of the scene from there.

Stuck In The Middle continued the 70s cool chic theme that ran through the film. It continued the slightly comic shtick which made an otherwise quite gruesome scene watch-able and very memorable. I'm guessing the scene was written with that song in mind.

Remember, this is just my opinion and I'm not an expert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Hi folks. we've just put a remix of Atlantic Swell up on soundcloud.
    http://soundcloud.com/fling-1/atlantic-swell

Fling

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

iamstop wrote: »
    Track I wrote about 2 years ago.

I respect your music production abilities - you're a lot better than I am.

But

YOU SUCK AT MAKING VIDEOS - WHAT IS THAT ????

What?

looks like your mother's trip to Indonesia or something.

I can imagine the gormless happy look on your face when you did those triangular dissolves.

And why did you post it here? over in the bedwetters section - You do electronic music - D'd ya think you'd get an easier ride in the "Irish Indie Rock" section?

What?

krd wrote: »

But

What?

I can imagine the gormless happy look on your face when you did those triangular dissolves.

And why did you post it here? over in the bedwetters section - You do electronic music - D'd ya think you'd get an easier ride in the "Irish Indie Rock" section?

What?
    dude this is really uncalled for.
    so what if the video isnt great

your last video was a clip you found on youtube with your music over it.hardly groundbreaking stuff either

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Hi folks. we've just put a remix of Atlantic Swell up on soundcloud.
    http://soundcloud.com/fling-1/atlantic-swell

Fling

I like it as it is. Parts of it have that Chieftains 1964 vibe to it.

At 1.48 someone hits a bum note pretty heavy - that's the spike on soundclound.

How are ye recording that - it sounds live and old fashioned (old fashioned not being a bad thing - ye could sound a lot slicker but it would be terrible to lose the sound ye have)

dude this is really uncalled for.
    so what if the video isnt great

your last video was a clip you found on youtube with your music over it.hardly groundbreaking stuff either

Sean, it's called a joke.

Y'Know, when people joke - have a sense of humour.

And Sean Where's your video?

Looking at a soundcloud screen is kind of boring.

SEAN....Make us a video - get some weird stuff off Youtube and make something.

C'mon Sean, can hardly go around to someone's house and play them some soundcloud. Everyone sitting around embarrassed not knowing where to look.

Sean, if you're going to criticise my video making skills - you better make one yourself.

Anyway - I'd love to see it.

i dunno just doesnt read like a joke man

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sebastianadams

Song of mine which I wrote a while back but never really finished recording, hope you guys like it!
    No vid I'm afraid, enjoy the soundcloud screen! ;)
    http://soundcloud.com/silverfishmusic/ticket-to-timbuktu

or you could listen to it on Band Camp with a nice visualisation in the background:D
    http://silverfishmusic.bandcamp.com/

i dunno just doesnt read like a joke man

I don't know Sean.. Why d'you have to be such a drama llama.

And you know it hurt my feelings when you said my clip wasn't ground breaking.

You hurt my feelings. !!!

Where's your groundbreaking clip Sean - I searched Youtube up and down and I couldn't find it.

I couldn't find it - because. It. Isn't. There.

This is the challenge - find some funky stuff on Youtube - cut it up with some of your music and post it.

C'mon Sean. It'll be fun :)

sigh

sigh

Chicken

Chicken
    yep,you got it in one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

here ye are lads , pick one each :pac::pac::pac:
    blue-handbags-holiday-gifts.jpg

DaDumTish wrote: »
    here ye are lads , pick one each :pac::pac::pac:
    blue-handbags-holiday-gifts.jpg
    pffft i have all them ones:)

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

I put up a TEASER of ONE of the new versions of our song Photograph. It's a TEASER in the sense that it's not quite a finished mix, and it's un-mastered, and it's only 1 min long.

http://soundcloud.com/the-riot-tapes/the-riot-tapes-photograph-v2-teaser

Let me stress, this is NOT Damaged Trax work, we already had a version on the go before that happened.

I still owe him a guitar solo, so the delay on that is my fault. Sorry Barry!

Still, good to hear a better quality version of this tune.

Soon, I'll have the time to record that solo and Barry will unleash his ver on the world!!

I can not wait!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

But

What?

What?

I know that is a ****e video. It was my first attempt at using Windows movie maker.
    Thanks for the complements of the music, which was the point. The 'video' was just something to fill the void on youtube.
    As far as I can tell this is just general music production. No clear indication of it being exclusively indie rock.

Anyway here is a very different track, a Big Daddy Kane remix I did and put a bit more into the video. Hope you like:

iamstop wrote: »
    I know that is a ****e video. It was my first attempt at using Windows movie maker.
    Thanks for the complements of the music, which was the point. The 'video' was just something to fill the void on youtube.
    As far as I can tell this is just general music production. No clear indication of it being exclusively indie rock.

Anyway here is a very different track, a Big Daddy Kane remix I did and put a bit more into the video. Hope you like:

Yeah, much better - I was only being half serious in the first place. (that's a joke - I wasn't being serious at all)

I use movie maker too - as I have nothing else to get my hands on. it's really crap. It keeps crashing on me - so it can take ages to make anything.

I want to give it a shot on Ableton. There's some kind of video function on Ableton - Which if it works like I think it does. It will be incredibly easy to cut clips to beats and bars.

There's a lot to be said for videos - I don't watch Television or MTV because the videos are terrible. They're pretty much not stop product placements. They can really kill the music.

Youtube is a real bitch too - I've never figured out how to get the sound up without degrading it too much.

? Anyone know the answer to that one. ?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Brand new mix of Everything Is Local:

http://soundcloud.com/the-riot-tapes/the-riot-tapes-everything-is-local-v2-0

Pretty damn different!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭ludwit

Song of mine which I wrote a while back but never really finished recording, hope you guys like it!
    No vid I'm afraid, enjoy the soundcloud screen! ;)
    http://soundcloud.com/silverfishmusic/ticket-to-timbuktu

or you could listen to it on Band Camp with a nice visualisation in the background:D
    http://silverfishmusic.bandcamp.com/

Really like the song, would love to hear it recorded a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cloudydsound

i put this up in the dance music forum too but it's not all exactly dance music...anyway blah

http://soundcloud.com/cloudysound/sets

any feedback muchhhh appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Here is my bands page:

www.karuna.biz

Myspace:
    www.myspace.com/karunaweb

• Advertisement

Had a crack off Baker Street using all sims.
    Bass and guitar is ReValver III and drums are EZDrummer.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/70-Baker%20Street.mp3

I'm relatively happy with the mix but it's not quite "there" I think.
    I'm not sure what's not right, though.
    The bass doesn't seem right somehow.
    I'd like the low end to punch more somehow, I think, though it might be that I need to alter things higher instead.
    Any tips from you more experienced guys would be very welcome.

Advertisement