Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can i hold a holiday and 12 month working visa at the same time

Options
  • 21-12-2008 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Basically ill be 31 next may and Im aim to apply for my 12 month work visa for aus just before my 31 birthday i dont plan to use this for a while but inbtween I would like to go to aus on a holiday only , can I do this ? how would I tackle this issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

No you can not do this. You can only hold one type of Visa at a time. As soon as you enter Australia(go through immigration) you will activate your WHV.

EDIT: I suggest you go on holiday else where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

just go on the WHV and if things don't work out, look back on it as a holiday..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

I believe you can.

i jumped througha lot of hoops gettign sponsored and one thiong that made it easier when I went abroad was that I came back on my WHV while I waited for my 457 to come through.

No hassles at immigration. My Agent advised that the immigration officer advised me to do this as the 457 was taking longer than planned and it made no sense for my to stay abroad as I had another valid visa.

even when I came home on hols I spoke with the immigration people in the airport discssuion would I be retunriong as a visitor ( WHV ) or on my 457
    ( resident )

Further credence is the fact that while on my WHV immigration granted me Bridinging Visa to stay here while they processed the 457.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

No you cannot get a holiday visa if you have been granted a WHV, it will get validated once you arrive.

Diamondmaker - that is a different circumstances and not really anything got to do with the OP, once you apply for a 457 you are automatically granted a bridging visa, which allows you to leave and enter the country, until it is granted or rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

hussey wrote: »
    No you cannot get a holiday visa if you have been granted a WHV, it will get validated once you arrive.

Diamondmaker - that is a different circumstances and not really anything got to do with the OP, once you apply for a 457 you are automatically granted a bridging visa, which allows you to leave and enter the country, until it is granted or rejected.

yeah my Bad...:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

You can come to Australia on holiday then pop over to New Zealand for a few days and then return to Australia and your visa will be activated then.

I did this. There was no hassle getting into Australia as long as you have evidence of a flight out of the country. Same with NZ. I didn't mention my WHV until I returned to Australia. But they were pretty relaxed about it at the airport, I think they're like that with the Irish.

Check with Australian embassy to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

You can come to Australia on holiday then pop over to New Zealand for a few days and then return to Australia and your visa will be activated then.

I did this. There was no hassle getting into Australia as long as you have evidence of a flight out of the country. Same with NZ. I didn't mention my WHV until I returned to Australia. But they were pretty relaxed about it at the airport, I think they're like that with the Irish.

Check with Australian embassy to be sure.

Think you missed the problem. The OP needs to apply for the WHV before they turn 31 next may. However they want to go on holiday in Oz next summer but not use the WHV visa till later in the year.

You don't have to mention your WHV when getting to OZ. As soon as they enter your passport number on their immigration system it would show up an activate.

Advertisement