Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your chance to box Roddy Collins!

• 21-12-2008 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi. I'm a Drogs fan and I've been trying to help with the fundraising to save the club in recent weeks. We're making good progress and Roddy Collins has volunteered to help for which we are very grateful. There's a match next Sunday December 28th at 3pm in United Park between a team of Drogs supporters (including a couple of ex-Drogs - Andy Myler and Gary Cronin) and a team of St Pats supporters. Roddy has offered to coach the Drogs side (The Rod Squad Part Deux!) and is willing to box one-minute rounds afterwards with 10 supporters (of any team) if the price is right - all funds to help the Drogs survival bid. He's bringing along a set of comedy-sized gloves - it's all for a bit of fun and to help the cause. It's only €5 admission to the match on the day and everyone is more than welcome to come down. More details on www.droghedaunited.ie , which also has information on other fundraising initiatives and on how you can donate via Paypal to help save the club. Your support would be much appreciated. Cheers

Below is an article from today's Sunday Tribune that gives an insight into the way the town has rallied around in an attempt to preserve a great community asset:

http://www.tribune.ie/sport/soccer/article/2008/dec/21/backstage-with-miguel-delaney-local-heroes/

Backstage with Miguel Delaney - Local heroes
    The plight of Drogheda United and Athlone have at least shown the power fans can have.

Fancy hitting Roddy Collins? Well, next Sunday you can. And in the process save one of the League of Ireland's great clubs. Collins, to give him his due, has not just agreed to take over a team of Drogheda United fans against St Patrick's Athletic fans at United Park, but take on all-comers for one minute's boxing – provided the price is right for Drogheda.

It should be the height of an incredibly emotive yet inspiring three weeks. As one Drogheda United fan puts it, "I'm just running on adrenaline now". It's not all he's been running on. There's the marathon on a treadmill to raise cash, the €1,000 from his bank account to the club's fund and the €4,000 loan he's just signed up for. So much even in these times?

"It's going to put a big squeeze on financially but it will be worth it as long as the club survives. We won't be having a European trip next season so this is where I'm going to divert that money. And if the club does survive it will be better than any league win or cup run put together."

Declining to be named so as not to "take any limelight", he points to all the other examples: the two schoolboys who sold their Nintendos; supporter Johnny Hughes who died last week but donated €500 as one of his last acts. A lot of small acts adding up to one huge push. Local defensive hero Graham Gartland, meanwhile, has been bought for so many nights out that at one auction he exclaimed to chairman Vincent Hoey "you're pimping me out!" Then next Sunday, the coup. If as many fans who talk down about Collins step up to him, Drogheda will more than save the club. They'll challenge Real Madrid for Cristiano Ronaldo.

Joking aside, Drogheda hope to have raised almost €300,000 by this day next week. A time of giving but, to a community that has remarkably rallied around the club, that's irrelevant. They'd give anyway and the only time that matters is the January deadline. The amount would still be over €200,000 short of what the Examiner's office is owed and the situation is still imperative. As such, the club have set up a loan scheme with the local bank, and fans – and foes – can donate on the club website. Still achingly short for Drogheda, but all too tantalising for Athlone Town as it's exactly the figure they need. Forced to call an emergency public meeting on Monday night as they couldn't see a way to cope with that debt given the climate, club secretary Chris Enright admits it was looking very bleak until he saw the locals' reaction. "I'm a hell of a lot more positive than before. I never doubted their commitment but they've stepped up." Now, there's a very definite way out.

Quite a week for the Eircom League to end the working year on, with two teams that dominated two different eras battling against oblivion. But also two responses which show just how influential the fans can be. It's fitting because the third big Irish soccer story of the week illustrates how far that can go. Shamrock Rovers, who have been there only for their very supporters to bring them back, appointed the hugely promising Michael O'Neill as manager and are the beacon for those clubs looking where to go next.

It is, of course, fans – or rather attracting more of them and the many ways to do so – that have been one of the main issues over the past few years. The most notorious has been the 'Shelbourne method', attempting to dazzle people with big signings and continental conquest. However, as proved to be the case, it's hard to dazzle new fans when they have the brighter lights of England so close.

Admittedly, this route is not the root of either Athlone's or Drogheda's problems. Although, as much as Drogheda were hit by the rezoning of their stadium land, having seven full-time strikers at one stage hardly helped. The main sticking point for survival now is reportedly satisfying four remaining players over outstanding payments.

Speaking to the Sunday Tribune Hoey said, "there's been a proposal put to me about paying players forward to next year but there's no point agreeing to something that maybe brings the club down a second time. There has to be realism. We've an emergency meeting tomorrow but if there's no agreement we'll just go and do a scheme of arrangement, where we'll offer so much to the parties. It'll go in before the court and we'll just have to take our chances. But the response from the community has been unbelievable. If that hadn't happened there wouldn't be a penny for anybody. There's a great trust based on us to act very responsibly here."

Indeed, the reason Drogheda have sparked such an outstanding local response is not just the pride Hoey's side have given the town but also the significant community ties brokered by promotions officer Terry Collins. As one FAI insider states, "schools were ringing up in the last few weeks asking to return the favour". Not just a sense of identity then but a seam. Links that are hard to break regardless of the Premier League's pull.

Here, Rovers have cornered the market too, as a piece in Wednesday's Irish Times on their links with St Aidan's Community School in Tallaght proved. It's all part of the club's community-based step-by-step approach. Again though, little steps building to significant strides.

Admittedly, when Shamrock Rovers' 400 Club took over in 2005, they had a headstart on any Drogheda or Athlone fans today, having been building a 'war chest' for two years and proving capable of a serious bid when the club went into examinership. But now, after the year the league has had, is the time to start emulating that model. Athlone's three-year plan to be put forward on 5 January mimics it exactly – right to the name; Drogheda fans say "it's the way forward" (although at the minute all the money the fans are pumping will only save the club, not give them a vote). Aiming small, but always hitting and rising, rather than aiming big too soon and crashing and burning.

The hope is Drogheda and Athlone pull through and implement that. And in 2009, whatever about Roddy, Eircom League teams no longer need to hit themselves.

mdelaney@tribune.ie

December 21, 2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I saw him at Darren Sutherland's debut on Thursday and I have to say I was tempted.........

In truth though fairplay to Roddy for getting involved in this(makes me cringe saying that), it would be terrible if Drogheda went to the wall and for the sake of irish football I hope they can raise the funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

im starting up front with a bunch of fat and overweight pats fans vs entire 11 of ex professional footballers.

i call shenagigans!!!!!

btw pats fans refused the offer of Roddy managing them :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

Thanks Big Ears - the last 2 weeks have shown me how much the club means to the people of Drogheda and it's been great to see everyone rallying around to help. Roddy has been a gent so far - I wasn't expecting to be as helpful as he was when I rang him but he's proven to me that he's a real league supporter at heart. Danny O'Connor (ex-Drogs captain) has been added to the list of players in our squad so the Pats fans will have their work cut out! As I said earlier, the more the merrier and for €5 admission you can't go wrong. 3pm Sunday, United Park, be there. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Finished 4-2 to Andy Myler, some drogs fans and pats fans made up the numbers in the Myler show. drogs missed a peno after Myler dived :eek: :pac:

I played well and thats the important thing :D

3 drogs fans had the chance to box Collins, 1st guy had a laugh, burberry clad ultra casual young lad tried to kill him, 3rd guy played in the match and nearly knocked him out, all the while 80 people stood in a circle and sang "roddy collins your a wanker"

quite funny that, decent attendance too for a fans match about 200ish or so at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

For anyone who's interested, there are plenty of photos of the day on the Drogs website. The first is of the Rod Squad: http://www.droghedaunited.ie/photo/index/id/5222. At the end of his highly entertaining teamtalk to players he had never seen before, Roddy insisted on several renditions of the 'Roddy Collins, you're a...' song before they left the dressing room! He was a great sport - very friendly and generous with his time. The boxing very nearly didn't happen, as Roddy insisted at half time that at least €1,000 must be raised for the 'Save the Drogs' fund before he'd put on the gloves. I did a rapid whiparound amongst the Drogs fans present and got together €1155 in the next 15 minutes so the boxing got the green light. It was great fun and slightly surreal. http://www.droghedaunited.ie/album/index/id/273/page/1 . Great credit to Roddy and the Pats fans for helping to make it a very enjoyable - just over €3,000 was raised. Another small step on the road to survival. On the off chance that anyone here is interested in contributing to the 'Save the Drogs' fund - the details of how to do so are on http://www.droghedaunited.ie/news/single/id/1499 . Happy new year folks - let's hope the Drogs are still here this time next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I thought this was a "flash" website challange. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'd say if you threw in the minister for sport too after his recent comments, you would've trebled that amount, but fair play.:pac:

Advertisement