Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 pump central heating system query

Options
  • 21-12-2008 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

I have an unusual (to me at least) system in our house.

External firebird boiler with pump that feeds a circuit to the hot water tank and back to the boiler.

From the hot feed into the hot water tank (top feed) there are two T's feeding to two pumps.

The pumps are individually switched for power.

It looks like one pump feeds the ground floor radiators and the other pump feeds the top floor radiators.

The timer operates the boiler, the boiler pump works normally using a temp sensor to continue pumping after the boiler shuts down

However the two pumps beside the hot water tank run continuously unless switched off. And they're noisy (fairly loud hum from them amplified by the pipework.

Oh and no thermostat anywhere in the house and no motorised valves anywhere.

I thought it was better to have the pumps operate on the return loop from radiators to keep the temperature lower in the pump?

Whats the best way to rewire the two pumps to avail of either a thermostat or operate with the timer?

Anyone come across this type of system before?

JWT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 stillbornalive

that seams a bit weird, well what you could do is put a separate timer on to the two pumps and have them come on the same time you have programmed the boiler to start and end its cycle other wise wire it back to the boiler.

usually pumps that are on a separate switch are used with a back boiler but then again this my not be the case. its not uncommon for this to happen. pumps can operate on both feed and return bu it is generally preferred that they be on the return. there a few ways you could eliminate this problem but it would require as i said before a separate timer or re wiring back to the boiler .ie its switch or timer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Take a feed from the timed side of the timer tru a room stat to the pump. Ensure that your room stat is in a room served by the pump on that circuit. Do this for both pumps. Now you will have the pumps running only when the timer and stats allow. By careful setting of the stat you can control the pumped flow of hot water to each area served by the particular pump.

Advertisement