Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the lovely bones

Options
  • 21-12-2008 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Who liked it.

I did but found the subject matter very heavy, interesting to seee the film adaptation

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Really enjoyed this book although I did find it a bit difficult to get into.

Totally worth persevering though, it's a book that stayed with me for a long time after I read it.

The movie adaptation worries me slightly. I think Mark Wahlberg was a bad decision. The rest of the cast looks excellent so here's hoping Peter Jackson can get something decent out of Marky Mark ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

I know can't imagine him or rachel weisz actually. Could be surprising though. Saoirse Ronan was good casting though she's very good. Horrible role for a young girl to act though! Well the first chapter anyway:)

Ryan Gosling was cast originally. He would have been great i would think but ill give mark the benefit of the doubt :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I liked it too but I can't say it stayed with me. I remember thinking the author dealt with the unresolved issues between the sisters in a very touching way. Five years on, though, I can't say it made much of an impression.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's been a while since I read it. I remember it fairly well but it didn't make much of an impression on me either. Might give it another read before the film. But tbh I lost all interest in the adaptation after Jackson swapped Gosling for Wahlberg. I can't stand Wahlberg. Gosling was a little young but I still think he could have pulled it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 foolsgold

I read it few years ago after it was highly recommended but tbh while I enjoyed it while reading it, it didnt stay with me .... From what I remember I liked the perspective it was written from
    Hadnt heard it is been made into a movie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I really enjoyed reading it, but when I tried The Almost Moon it felt a bit like Sebold had had somewhat of a one hit wonder. The Almost Moon is nothing by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I read it last year. It was good enough, will be interesting how they adapt it for screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Read it last year as well, enjoyed it. I'm sort of curious about how small or big Jackson will make of it as a film. I know he wanted something small after Lord of the Rings but I've a feeling like he may go to town with effects for her heaven. Plus it was a huge pity that Gosling left production as he is a great actor, I loved Lars and the Real Girl.
    Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out, but after seeing the SNL pisstake of Markey Mark, I'll find it tough to take him seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

I thought it started off as an amazing, beautiful read, and then descended into nonsense. That's a bit harsh, but i was very dissapointed with the second half of the book.

I couldn't get past the girl(forgot her name) swapping into someone else's body while the other person goes to heaven to lecture!!:rolleyes:

Advertisement