Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipe for trifle

• 21-12-2008 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭

Anyone got a nice simple recipe for trifle, please ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My mother used to make a jelly and throw in a drained tin of fruit cocktail and broken up trifle sponge. She'd let it set, then pour on a layer of custard and then a layer of whipped cream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

My mother used to make a jelly and throw in a drained tin of fruit cocktail and broken up trifle sponge. She'd let it set, then pour on a layer of custard and then a layer of whipped cream.

This is what my aul lad does too. And he sometimes puts bananas in with the fruit cocktail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Sounds grand to me,even I can't get that wrong. Thanks folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

As above - a layer of sponge fingers in a raspberry jelly - but sprinkle about three tbsps of dark sherry on the sponge before applying the jelly. Add fresh raspberries to the mixture and leave to set. A layer of sliced bananas, a layer of custard and a layer of whipped cream before decorating the top with dark and white chocolate curls. Leave to set for about four hours in the fridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Birds Trifle is yer only man!

570206.gif

And if you really want to go all out on 80s extravagance, add some Dream Topping too

TJ1345.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Minder wrote: »
    but sprinkle about three tbsps of dark sherry

Ha, three tbsps! Try half a bottle of dark sherry and you have a real sherry triffle. No one in my family will eat it any other way. It's the only part of the dinner that they go back for more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Orla K wrote: »
    Ha, three tbsps! Try half a bottle of dark sherry and you have a real sherry triffle. No one in my family will eat it any other way. It's the only part of the dinner that they go back for more.

Where's the trifle?

I drank it (hic!):D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

mick_irl wrote: »
    Birds Trifle is yer only man!

570206.gif

And if you really want to go all out on 80s extravagance, add some Dream Topping too

TJ1345.jpg

The OH was a bit upset today when he saw I was making a real trifle. When he requested trifle he presumed it was gonna be Birds Trifle. Jeez, he'll be looking for Angel Delight next.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭cjdun1

or you could go with the Rachel-Friends recipe - include mince meat, etc etc..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Janicus

jos28 wrote: »
    The OH was a bit upset today when he saw I was making a real trifle. When he requested trifle he presumed it was gonna be Birds Trifle. Jeez, he'll be looking for Angel Delight next.

I'm not a great fan of trifle but I do make one myself that I quite enjoy, Just a regular jelly (strawberry preferably) for anyone who doesn't like sponge fingers marietta buscuits are a nice substitute, custard with a little vanilla extract is nice, and you really need the dream topping,

For an alcoholic version soak the buscuits in a little sherry first then add the jelly and put a little sherry in the dream topping before you whip it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement