Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E85 Biofuel in non Flexifuel Car

Options
  • 21-12-2008 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

Filling the wifes Focus flexiFuel this evening and while there a modified Nissan Pulsar (95) pulls up at the other E85 pump. Now I know all the flexifuel cars out there and I was a bit puzzled by this. He put in 15 litres on E85 and 35 litres of regular unleaded.
    Now when I put in, say, 40 litres of e85 and 15 of unleaded there is a noticeable increase of power in the car. But this car is a flexifuel vehicle (with a lot of reliability problems thats another story!).
    So won't this mess up his engine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Nope....it'll be fine once he doesn't put too high a mix in. Depends on the particular engine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

My non flex fuel 98 Suziki Swift runs fine on 100% e85. I started with adding some E85 and exentulay it became 100% E85 and i did no mods of any to car engine

The car seems to run best on 30% regular fuel and 70% E85 which makes a sorta ~E60 fuel

On that mix the MPG seems to be very similar to E5 normal fuel
    On 100% E85 car can take a lot longer to warm up in cold weather

Its a useful option to do 100% E85 if there is a fuel crisis and only E85 is available

Lots of car can do 100 % e85 without any mods .Some cars need mods .All car with mods kits can be made to use E85 but mods kits often cost more than 600 euros

Lots of links on boards.ie and www E85 car forums on how lots of non flex fuel cars run better on E85 mixxes than regular fuel

Derry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tom-d

with the price of petrol at the moment its not worth taking the risk of ruining your engine.

E85 dosent have high mpg compared to petrol.

So even though e85 is cheaper per litre you dont go as far per litre.

I say as long as petrol is below 100c stick to it

(Volvo s40 1.8flexifuel Driver)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

tom-d wrote: »
    with the price of petrol at the moment its not worth taking the risk of ruining your engine.

E85 dosent have high mpg compared to petrol.

So even though e85 is cheaper per litre you dont go as far per litre.

I say as long as petrol is below 100c stick to it

(Volvo s40 1.8flexifuel Driver)

Thats is annother issue . In lots of europe the E85 is closer to ~80 cents a liter and the normal fuel is closer to 1.20 per liter

So in most Eu countries even if the car suffers a minor drop in MPG its still winner to do E85

However the regime here not really interested to premote E85 n don't ensure that there is a big price difference so for ROI its possibly better to do E5 fuel

However if most people knew the 200 chemicals that are in petrol most of them toxic and most not even doing anything to supply power but just used buy oil companies to dump into cats rather than supply cleaner petrol they might not be so keen on the damage that dirty petrol fuel does to engines .Ethanol is a simplex chemical that mostly burns much cleaner and lots of non flex fule cars are often much better after 100,000 miles than if they had used filthy normal petrol.

But the oil companies got the irish regime in their pocket so we gonna have to live with filthy petrol for a while longer

Derry

Advertisement