Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Wordpress. Headwreck. HELP. Puh-leeze.

• 21-12-2008 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭

Right...

I'm el desperado now, been trying to set up a wordpress blog for about 3 hours, so much for their "famous 5 minute installation". I previously considered myself fairly web-savvy but I can't for the life of me get my head around some of the stuff involved.

There are some things I cannot figure out to begin with...

I set up a blog on wordpress, chose a theme etc etc. I know it's usable but it looks muck, so I think I'll try and improve it...

I download wordpress 2.7.2 (or whatever the one on the site is at the moment) then it tells me I need a "host". It directs me to apache... so I go to the apache site which looks like something from 1999 and cannot figure out how, what or where on the site I can download "Apache" from...

Am I completely off the ball here? Should I have paid for something along the way or something?... Me poor head is wrecked.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

yeah you need a domain and somewhere to host the site......

EDIT: sorry you set up a working blog....and now u want to change the theme?
    Pen1987 wrote: »
    Right...

I'm el desperado now, been trying to set up a wordpress blog for about 3 hours, so much for their "famous 5 minute installation". I previously considered myself fairly web-savvy but I can't for the life of me get my head around some of the stuff involved.

There are some things I cannot figure out to begin with...

I set up a blog on wordpress, chose a theme etc etc. I know it's usable but it looks muck, so I think I'll try and improve it...

I download wordpress 2.7.2 (or whatever the one on the site is at the moment) then it tells me I need a "host". It directs me to apache... so I go to the apache site which looks like something from 1999 and cannot figure out how, what or where on the site I can download "Apache" from...

Am I completely off the ball here? Should I have paid for something along the way or something?... Me poor head is wrecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Where are you trying to install it?

Do you have web hosting? or do you want to install it locally (on your own computer)

EDIT: Are you talking about a myblog.wordpress.com blog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

yeah I have a myblog.wordpress.com set up on wordpress and I want to set it up on my computer (this means "locally" I think?) with a view to having it built and ready to put up somewhere online... which I presume that would have to be paid for??

I tried to follow the intructions in the "5minute installation" but I... well I can't, I'm confused to ****. I cant even find what I need to do to download "apache"...

Lads or ladies.. any help at all... at all, I gratefully accept...

To install it locally, you'll need a server with Apache & MySQL & PHP - http://www.wampserver.com/en/

If you're having trouble now, I think this might be tricky (but not undoable with little knowledge)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Download xamp (includes apache) and use it to run/test your site locally. You'll then need to invest in a host and domain when you're ready to put it up on the net.

• Advertisement

Ah ****e... you're right, if I'm having trouble now... might just leave this be.

If I use the premium feature on wordpress I can basically do all that stuff much easier I think?... What would be the simplest way to loose the ".wordpress".com part from my main URL?... *EDITtook out (another) dumb question, head is fried.

Cheap Hosting & Domain Name would be around €30 a year, and would mean you can do the 5min install.

Cheers, sorry about this continuing foolish questioning. I'm finding the wordpress information awful strange...

the mainpage http://wordpress.org/ says it is "free and priceless"... but then in the "it's as easy as..." section it says you need to find a webhost... which costs money right? So it's not exactly free... am I totally wrong here?

Wordpress is blogging software, which is free - so they are right.

ah but it's not exactly free to run your blog with the wordpress installation, so the whole offer isn't exactly free. They're being slightly faceitous IMO.

Anyway. Better go find a host. Somewhere seriously cheap that works with wordpress.

Thanks ppl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

ah but it's not exactly free to run your blog with the wordpress installation, so the whole offer isn't exactly free. They're being slightly faceitous IMO.

No, it is entirely free to use wordpress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

You can get free web hosting.

No one here has the liberty of recommending/talking about specific web hosts so just horse "free web hosting" into google and see what comes up.

For wordpress you need PHP and MySql.

If you want a domain name (www.yourname.com) that will have to be bought, costs from a tenner I think, and your host will have to support at least one domain name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Cheers, sorry about this continuing foolish questioning. I'm finding the wordpress information awful strange...

the mainpage http://wordpress.org/ says it is "free and priceless"... but then in the "it's as easy as..." section it says you need to find a webhost... which costs money right? So it's not exactly free... am I totally wrong here?

A similar example is Gmail. It is a free service, however you need to pay for an internet connection to access it. This doesn't mean Gmail isn't free now does it?

Advertisement