Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing on a chimney

Options
  • 21-12-2008 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Hi. A electrician friend of mine has said he can rewire my old house, and another friend of mine said he will chase the house with me. He has some experience chasing, he has chased two houses so far.

My worry is that I want to put an electrical socket on the chimney upstairs and downstairs to wall to hang a wall hung tv. What I am concerned with is that when I chase the chimney, the outside part of the chimney will come loose and fall trough the neighbors roof. Is this a valid concern? Im pretty sure my home insurance wont cover damage to neighbors property. Is there any way to secure the chimney before I start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

oxygen wrote: »
    What I am concerned with is that when I chase the chimney, the outside part of the chimney will come loose and fall trough the neighbors roof. Is this a valid concern?

Assuming I have understood correctly, I doubt it very much that the top is going to fall off the chimney, unless your mate is going to chase it with a JCB digger!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

Hi. A electrician friend of mine has said he can rewire my old house, and another friend of mine said he will chase the house with me. He has some experience chasing, he has chased two houses so far.

My worry is that I want to put an electrical socket on the chimney upstairs and downstairs to wall to hang a wall hung tv. What I am concerned with is that when I chase the chimney, the outside part of the chimney will come loose and fall trough the neighbors roof. Is this a valid concern? Im pretty sure my home insurance wont cover damage to neighbors property. Is there any way to secure the chimney before I start?

a grinder and light kango for the minimum impact anyhow.are you fitting the flatscreen over the fireplace ? ive seen people doing this. depends on the amount of heat and smoke rising up i suppose i cant see it being a good idea myself in general unless its a radiant heater underneath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Avns1s wrote: »
    Assuming I have understood correctly, I doubt it very much that the top is going to fall off the chimney, unless your mate is going to chase it with a JCB digger!!

Yea, the chimney is usually on my mind, as my neighbors were told on their structural survey to mend a crack in their chimney as it might fall off. I got no such warning, can still bloody keep me awake at night tho. Any time I havent been in the house in a couple of days, I usually look up at the chimney to see its still there :)
    davelerave wrote: »
    a grinder and light kango for the minimum impact anyhow.are you fitting the flatscreen over the fireplace ? ive seen people doing this. depends on the amount of heat and smoke rising up i suppose i cant see it being a good idea myself in general unless its a radiant heater underneath.

Yea, the chimney in the bedroom is plastered over, so its not in use. I plan on putting a gas fire in the sitting room, I hadnt thought of any damage the heat rising might do to the tv's or wiring. I might have to run that past the electrician first. It might be a better idea to just not chase or wire in the chimney .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I guess that you could stay away from the chimney as much as possible, by bringing the chase down the wall parallel to the chimney and then over 90 degrees ??? but we can't say for sure that your chimney would be up to the hammering, or any wall really. A light chase with a full plastering face-lift on the chimney might also help.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LIS

Stoner wrote: »
    I guess that you could stay away from the chimney as much as possible, by bringing the chase down the wall parallel to the chimney and then over 90 degrees ??? but we can't say for sure that your chimney would be up to the hammering, or any wall really. A light chase with a full plastering face-lift on the chimney might also help.

another thought might be to batt it out and put i sheet of wallboard over it save chasing alltogether!

• Advertisement

Whats batt it out. I think I will probably risk chasing the chimney. Just cross my fingers and hope it doesnt fall over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

Whats batt it out. I think I will probably risk chasing the chimney. Just cross my fingers and hope it doesnt fall over.

lats and slab or foam backed slab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

another thought might be to batt it out and put i sheet of wallboard over it save chasing alltogether!
    This is a good solution. I have done this and it works well. Simplybatten out the wall and slab on top. This gives a nicegap for cables and you end up with a nice smooth finish. Dont forget to put in wooden grounds for the TV.
    by bringing the chase down the wall parallel to the chimney and then over 90 degrees ???
    It is always best to have as little horizontal chacing as possible. Idealy all chases should be vertical then there is less chances of drilling into a cable at a later stage.

fishdog wrote: »
    This is a good solution. I have done this and it works well. Simplybatten out the wall and slab on top. This gives a nicegap for cables and you end up with a nice smooth finish. Dont forget to put in wooden grounds for the TV.

It is always best to have as little horizontal chacing as possible. Idealy all chases should be vertical then there is less chances of drilling into a cable at a later stage.

What does batten out mean? Is this adding to the wall a little bit? I wouldnt give up any square inch in my house without a fight, would be handy to have a easily accessible conduit for wires tho.

I think Im just going to chase either side of the chimney, vertical chases and not wall hang a tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

What does batten out mean? Is this adding to the wall a little bit?
    This means you wall will move out so little that you will not notice. About 40mm

• Advertisement
Advertisement