Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Words fail me..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What a gobsh1te.

Heard it earlier.

ah sure it sounds nonsense to me but then so too is the league of Ireland.

would be great for an irish team to try and compete in Premiership.

You are clearly a troll when it comes to anything LOI. Piss off would you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

no it just pisses me off that I have never met anyone in real life who gave a **** about the league of Ireland, and yet on here it is full of people who refuse to piss off and constantly harp on about it,

and yeah no bother I wont post here again, I dont have the energy,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Out of ten thousand sperm isnt it a pisser you were the one who won the race.

Oh JEEZ there I am responding your pathetic attempt at trolling. shame
    me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

no it just pisses me off that I have never met anyone in real life who gave a **** about the league of Ireland, and yet on here it is full of people who refuse to piss off and constantly harp on about it,

and yeah no bother I wont post here again, I dont have the energy,

Newsflash, the League of Ireland is our national league ofcourse people will talk about it.:rolleyes: Go back to your barstool and watch your Sky Sports and their Supercalifristic Dooper Soccer Sunday or whatever the name of it fecking is.

As for Martin Cullan well he speaks for the majority of Oirish football "fans", but would people do a "I support Man Utd, Sunderland and Celtic" job or just chose to support one team?:confused:

God do I hate this supposely soccer country.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

So, he wants to see a league like the NFL, but for Euro footy?

LETS GO DUBLIN SHAMROCKS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    So, he wants to see a league like the NFL, but for Euro footy?

LETS GO DUBLIN SHAMROCKS!

It would be more like "Sporting Torpedo Deportivo Dublin Shamrocks Athletic Football Club of the Republic of Ireland".:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Sure it nearly happened before. Wimbledon were in talks to come here in the 90's while in the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

redout wrote: »
    Sure it nearly happened before. Wimbledon were in talks to come here in the 90's while in the premiership.

No it never nearly happened, it was never even close.

Actually maybe it was and some people in the know realised that FIFA would throw irelands national team out of everything if it happened.

And will do again, maybe it should happen Sunderland playing out of Dublin (**** their fans i mean if they were real fans they would travel to Dublin via ryanair from Mboro to Dublin for cheap) in the EPL. it would be awesome 4 times a year we would see a decent team in Dublin.

Oh **** Keane is gone from sunderland, wolves? dont have a big a draw being in old division 2. Its the national team in theory who are we to want to see them all play together in international competition, we should be happy they actually getting games in a proper league.

I endorse our minister for sports decision to have a team playing European football out of lansdowne.

As a pats fan i hope to **** if we make 1st round proper of Europa league we use RDS again.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    No it never nearly happened, it was never even close.

Actually maybe it was and some people in the know realised that FIFA would throw irelands national team out of everything if it happened.

And will do again, maybe it should happen Sunderland playing out of Dublin (**** their fans i mean if they were real fans they would travel to Dublin via ryanair from Mboro to Dublin for cheap) in the EPL. it would be awesome 4 times a year we would see a decent team in Dublin.

Oh **** Keane is gone from sunderland, wolves? dont have a big a draw being in old division 2. Its the national team in theory who are we to want to see them all play together in international competition, we should be happy they actually getting games in a proper league.

I endorse our minister for sports decision to have a team playing European football out of lansdowne.

As a pats fan i hope to **** if we make 1st round proper of Europa league we use RDS again.

They would throw us out but certain welsh sides compete in the english leagues and cups and not their own. I am sure I could find other examples in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

redout wrote: »
    They would throw us out but certain welsh sides compete in the english leagues and cups and not their own. I am sure I could find other examples in Europe.

You wont find many other than Cardiff, Swansea and our very own Derry City and some scottish border town and possibly some more welsh and a luxembourg side ?.

All had their chance to go back to whatever league they should be in but decided not to.

What you have with the above is exceptional circumstances (dont get the welshies playing england but it makes them more money).

A team migrating to another country and playing there for financial reasons is a big no no with UEFA and any FA that allows it is banned according to the wimbledon thingie a few years ago. Something to do with franchises in USA or something.

EDIT Cullen has to open Legoland in the spring....lol at that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ur so football gav

but more on topic, yeah wat a gobsh1te. doesnt sound like he has a clue into how football works. and we wonder why the fai is so bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Oh **** Keane is gone from sunderland, wolves?
    Can't believe LOI fans keep going on about this. Roy Keane is an incredibly famous and controversial Irishman. Thousands of Irish people are interested in him and will always keep track of how he's doing. He was the reason for the interest in Sunderland in this country. It doesn't mean half the country are going around in Sunderland jerseys. We're no different to any other country and it would be the exact same in Sweden if Larsson took over an English team.

The foreign countries that show Celtic games all bought the rights to follow just one player. And this is bloody Roy Keane we're talking about. A completely different story to an Artur Boruc or Massimo Donati.

Anyway, I just had to get that off my chest again. There's so many ignorant LOI fans telling us the country is full of Sunderland fans.

There's a reason so many people on here have no sympathy for the state of the league. The fans just spend their time slagging off the people that weren't brought up a LOI fan. And trust me, if you weren't brought up a fan of a LOI club then there's very little chance you'll have any real interest in the league.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Can't believe LOI fans keep going on about this. Roy Keane is an incredibly famous and controversial Irishman. Thousands of Irish people are interested in him and will always keep track of how he's doing. He was the reason for the interest in Sunderland in this country. It doesn't mean half the country are going around in Sunderland jerseys. We're no different to any other country and it would be the exact same in Sweden if Larsson took over an English team.

The foreign countries that show Celtic games all bought the rights to follow just one player. And this is bloody Roy Keane we're talking about. A completely different story to an Artur Boruc or Massimo Donati.

Good point. I can attest to this being through in Spain also. TVE (Spains RTE) bought premiership rights solely because of the Spanish contingent at Liverpool and show the Liverpool game every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

More evidence that this government hasn't a f*cking clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Great post eirebhoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

And to those League of Ireland fans, I was a fan of the League but I'm long gone from it now.

Everyone has a right to air their opinions without being attacked by some League of Ireland nutcase who can't see beyond the Irish Sea.

I too would love to see an Irish based team try and give the Premiership a go if it was possible. It would be a pleasure to have that standard of football on this Island every second week between August and May every year.

Edit to add, I'd be willing to pay to watch that standard of football but I wouldn't give that League of Ireland one cent of my money with all the rubbish that has gone on down the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

That pretty much sums it up eirebhoy.

To be honest, the LoI won't be a success until it reverts back to semi-pro or amateur looking to bring young players though. No club can afford to really survive full-time anymore at the minute without a very good fanbase and good backing.

As for eirebhoy's comment about Keane, I'd agree totally. There also seems to be some sort of jealously or begrudging about him at Sunderland for some reason. It's fúcking ridiculous that the same people that said he carried us for years with Ireland as a player can be so negative towards him when he turns his hand at management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

An Irish team in an English soccer league being mooted.

It will never happen.

Words fail me.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

*puts on political nerd hat*

Can i just add that Martin Cullen is the definition of morally dubious, politically corrupt, incompetent Minister and gombeen king all in one.

Anything he opines on you should take the opposite view because he is always wrong. Always. What an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

There's a reason so many people on here have no sympathy for the state of the league. The fans just spend their time slagging off the people that weren't brought up a LOI fan.

That works both ways.

I didnt want this to turn into a LOI vs EPL argument. There is enough of those threads scattered around.

For the record I have no problem with anyone following teams abroad. I watch Liverpool enough for it to make me a hypocrite if I were to suggest such things. What I do find amazing that a Government minister for sport who in theory is meant to have the interests of our national league can come out with such nonsense. He obviously doesnt know that he will have to enter down around the Blue Square level and progress from there. There isnt a magical place awaiting them in the top flight of English league football for a new franchise team here in Ireland.

Maybe if they buy a team ala the MK DONS situation and move it over. As for the european super league maybe some day it will arrive. Whether a new all encompassing team is setup to represent Ireland in it who knows. Where will the money and players suddenly come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The fans just spend their time slagging off the people that weren't brought up a LOI fan.
    But what you always fail to even acknowledge are the people who weren't "brought up" LoI supporters.

My dad, for instance, is a ""Liverpool" "Supporter"".

He's been to see Shels with me twice, one of them was the Big Day Out in Landsdowne Road.
    And trust me, if you weren't brought up a fan of a LOI club then there's very little chance you'll have any real interest in the league.

lol

I wouldn't trust you if you are coming up with statements like that.

I wasnt brought up a LOI fan persay. My Dad has always been invovled in footie here since we moved over. From playing and managing the local sunday team to managing the County team. He is very much a Liverpool fan but is a season ticket holder in longford now for years.

It was actually him who told me about the piece he heard on the radio, as pointed out if a minister in Germany came out with the likes of that tripe they would be resigning the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

jeez, you'd think people would be sick of resurrecting the ol' EPL / LoI debate at this stage, is there any thread it can't affect?

jeez, you'd think people would be sick of resurrecting the ol' EPL / LoI debate at this stage, is there any thread it can't affect?

This thread is directly to do with that issue.

Have you any idea how pathetic and, frankly, idiotic people look when they suggest this is a good idea?

That minister should be strung up for suggesting this.

How people keep voting that party into power is beyond me.

I know it is, it just annoys me when the same arguments are dredged up time and again.

I know it is, it just annoys me when the same arguments are dredged up time and again.

Same on both sides though.

Oh I agree, the mud-slinging from both sides is tiresome.

Anyway, what a silly idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Des wrote: »
    Have you any idea how pathetic and, frankly, idiotic people look when they suggest this is a good idea?

Its the same people who think the 39th game is a good idea ie people who really do not understand the mechanisms of supporting football.

I love how non LOI fans always turn this into name calling. LOI fans merely are showing their grievances with the status quo, and all of a sudden they (we) are wrong for doing so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

I know. You'd have thought Cullen would have known better.

I can't believe a Minister for Sport can say what he said and only Eircom League fans being pissed off with it. It's rediculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

As a LoI fan I think it's a great idea.

Why don't the government use taxpayers money to buy a Premiership club (say Manchester United) and relocate them to Dublin and change their name to F.C. Dublin.

I'd love it. Just love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I would love for there to be an Irish based team in the Premiership with huge crowds going every week. And then to get relegated to the Championship with those crowds saying "ah feck this, not my standard" and going back to their barstools to support Man Utd/Liverpool/Arse/Sunderland/Celtic etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

barstools are for paupers, i watched Liverpool - Arsenal from my bed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

eagle eye wrote: »
    And to those League of Ireland fans, I was a fan of the League but I'm long gone from it now.

Everyone has a right to air their opinions without being attacked by some League of Ireland nutcase who can't see beyond the Irish Sea.

I too would love to see an Irish based team try and give the Premiership a go if it was possible. It would be a pleasure to have that standard of football on this Island every second week between August and May every year.

Edit to add, I'd be willing to pay to watch that standard of football but I wouldn't give that League of Ireland one cent of my money with all the rubbish that has gone on down the years.

I used to be an ardent Shamrock Rovers fan, even went 2 years without missing a home game... but I stopped mainly cos of all the knackers that were only interested in starting fights, I couldn't understand why Dublin people wanted to kick the **** out of other Dublin people because they supported a different soccer team.

I couldn't understand why Dublin people wanted to kick the **** out of other Dublin people because they supported a different soccer team.

Glasgow much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Glasgow much?

Have Rovers or Bohs fans (en bloc) been discriminated against or suffered institutionalised sectarianism and racism due to their religious background or nationality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Have Rovers or Bohs fans (en bloc) been discriminated against or suffered institutionalised sectarianism and racism due to their religious background or nationality?

Its the 21st Century FFS, stop fighting old battles and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

I used to be an ardent Shamrock Rovers fan, even went 2 years without missing a home game... but I stopped mainly cos of all the knackers that were only interested in starting fights, I couldn't understand why Dublin people wanted to kick the **** out of other Dublin people because they supported a different soccer team.
    You're easily stopped then.

• Advertisement

lol

I wouldn't trust you if you are coming up with statements like that.
    Maybe read this thread:
    http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=52692

I totted up the reasons.

35 people in that thread support their team after being brought from an early age by family member or other.

19 others support their team because it represents their town.

And 7 are what you might call blow ins. Even then, 1 of them started going to Bray games when he moved to Bray. 1 started going to Pats games when he moved to Rialto. 1 started following UCD when he joined UCD. 1 fan started supporting Bohs as an adult but had always been brought to Dublin to watch live games from an early age. And 1 Cork fan started following them when he/she started going out with a Cork fanatic.

I can't really speak for people from other counties but if you're an adult, from Dublin, were never brought to a LOI game as a kid and weren't brought up in somewhere like Inchicore or Phibsboro, there's very little chance you'd be supporting a LOI team today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

The man's position really should be untenable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

In a way, you can say daytripper fans of big premiership teams want to appropriate the nationality of scousers, mancs, whatever - to actually be them, because of the bad-hand of football geography they were dealt with at birth being from Dublin, Beijing, Wigan or whatever.

It's another (farcical) thing entirely to want to claim their religious oppression for yourself. :)

Obviously if you are an actual working-class Glaswegian catholic, I apologize.

stovelid wrote: »
    In a way, you can say daytripper fans of big premiership teams want to appropriate the nationality of scousers, mancs, whatever - to actually be them, because of the bad-hand of football geography they were dealt with at birth being from Dublin, Beijing, Wigan or whatever.

It's another (farcical) thing entirely to want to claim their religious oppression for yourself. :)

Obviously if you are an actual working-class Glaswegian catholic, I apologize.

Excellent point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

To be honest, the LoI won't be a success until it reverts back to semi-pro or amateur looking to bring young players though. No club can afford to really survive full-time anymore at the minute without a very good fanbase and good backing.

Your from Mayo, how many times have you been to your local club an hour up the road in Sligo? How can you expect football to develop in this place without people going to games? The sad fact is if people got off their arses and went to the ****ing games in Dublin, Sligo, Galway or wherever, football would develop sufficently as it would have investment.

For the price of one ****ty weekend to Manchester you could have a year long experience with your local club. Something you actually feel for. Something that grows like an infection inside you. I actually love Sligo Rovers. The weeks results dictate my mood for the rest of the week. I'm on a month long buzz since we got to Europe. How many people claim that happens with some EPL club? How many people will care the same way I care for Rovers as they will for FC Deportivo le Dublin? SFA

This really isnt a League Of Ireland Vs Barstoolers debate though. This is something much worse. I honestly can't imagine myself looking at anyone who supported this idea with anything but contempt.

Your from Mayo, how many times have you been to your local club an hour up the road in Sligo? How can you expect football to develop in this place without people going to games? The sad fact is if people got off their arses and went to the ****ing games in Dublin, Sligo, Galway or wherever, football would develop sufficently as it would have investment.

For the price of one ****ty weekend to Manchester you could have a year long experience with your local club. Something you actually feel for. Something that grows like an infection inside you. I actually love Sligo Rovers. The weeks results dictate my mood for the rest of the week. I'm on a month long buzz since we got to Europe. How many people claim that happens with some EPL club? How many people will care the same way I care for Rovers as they will for FC Deportivo le Dublin? SFA
    You can't compare a Sligo person supporting Sligo and a Mayo person supporting Sligo for jaysus sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

You can't compare a Sligo person supporting Sligo and a Mayo person supporting Sligo for jaysus sake.

Every second week I see plenty of people from Mayo in the Showgrounds.
    The club extends its community work into not only the Sligo/Leitrim leagues, but also in the Mayo one too. I can't see how its any less unreasonable for a person to travel an hour to see a game when in reality these same people travel by air, rail and road to see whoever in the epl.

Anyways this is completely o/t. It sickens me to see the FF pleading for people to shop in the south while they're encouraging people to instead travel to England to see as football of a ''suitable standard''.:(

I am a Roscommon man following Longford. I know many more from Roscommon who follow Longford from the Strokestown area.. I also know a fair few lads from Ballyhaunis in Mayo who goto Sligo Rovers games

I live 45 minutes from the Flansiro I dont see it as a long distance. You would be doing well to go from Galway to Tuam in that time these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I supported Man Utd from a young age up until a few years ago. I stopped supporting them because i lost interest mainly because i had no real connection to the club. I attended a Cork City game a few years ago and loved it and have supported them ever since.

Most EPL team supporters on this forum look down their noses at LOI fans and criticise them for being passionate about their clubs and league. It's that same passion that makes LOI fans angry to see people spending loads of money supporting an english club instead of attending matches at their local LOI club. I much happier supporting Cork City a club which represents my hometown and who i have a connection to rather than Man Utd.

Also a few English people i have spoken to have laughed about how irish people support english clubs. Irish EPL fans are nothing but a laughing stock to some english football supporters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement