Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Words fail me..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

eirebhoy wrote: »
    You can't compare a Sligo person supporting Sligo and a Mayo person supporting Sligo for jaysus sake.

My Moms family are from Leitrim and were regulars at Showgrounds before they all emigrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Every second week I see plenty of people from Mayo in the Showgrounds.
    The club extends its community work into not only the Sligo/Leitrim leagues, but also in the Mayo one too. I can't see how its any less unreasonable for a person to travel an hour to see a game when in reality these same people travel by air, rail and road to see whoever in the epl.

Anyways this is completely o/t. It sickens me to see the FF pleading for people to shop in the south while they're encouraging people to instead travel to England to see as football of a ''suitable standard''.:(
    I'd rather follow Rangers than a team from that kip of a town.

I am a Roscommon man following Longford. I know many more from Roscommon who follow Longford from the Strokestown area.. I also know a fair few lads from Ballyhaunis in Mayo who goto Sligo Rovers games

I live 45 minutes from the Flansiro I dont see it as a long distance. You would be doing well to go from Galway to Tuam in that time these days!
    Obviously you don't live in Strokestown or else you drive a tractor or something because its not that far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Your from Mayo, how many times have you been to your local club an hour up the road in Sligo? How can you expect football to develop in this place without people going to games? The sad fact is if people got off their arses and went to the ****ing games in Dublin, Sligo, Galway or wherever, football would develop sufficently as it would have investment.

For the price of one ****ty weekend to Manchester you could have a year long experience with your local club. Something you actually feel for. Something that grows like an infection inside you. I actually love Sligo Rovers. The weeks results dictate my mood for the rest of the week. I'm on a month long buzz since we got to Europe. How many people claim that happens with some EPL club? How many people will care the same way I care for Rovers as they will for FC Deportivo le Dublin? SFA

First of all, I don't support Sligo or Galway because I'm not from there. If Mayo had a team of course I'd head to games a good bit but why the hell would I support a team that has absolutely nothing to do with my county or community? A lot of my mates have been offered trials for both clubs and refused to go because they reckon its pointless, damned if you do go and damned if you don't. The fact is that the best young players go to England, its always been that way and always will. Another went just this week - Jay O'Shea. The league is fúcked right now with most clubs going bust - its a lottery at the minute. I'd be more inclined to watch teams if they were all amateur and full of the countries top youngsters.

But its a joke at the minute, and I can't see it changing anytime soon. So don't blame me or the thousands others like me for the fact your club/league isn't developing nearly went into liquidation. Maybe if ye handled your club correctly then it might not have went tits up.

As for a ****ty weekend, I've been over to Manchester quite a bit for games and they've been far from terrible. They have also been relatively cheap (around €150 for flights and tickets - staying in a mates house). Always have and always will be a United fan through and through, as is my old man and his old man.

I hate this bollocks at times on these boards insinuating that if you aren't a LoI fan you aren't a real football fan. Grow up lads and stop attempting to be Billy Bollocks "I'm a bigger fan than you kind of thing". It's amazingly stupid.

Most EPL team supporters on this forum look down their noses at LOI fans and criticise them for being passionate about their clubs and league.
    I've never seen that, I've seen the opposite quite often though.
    Also a few English people i have spoken to have laughed about how irish people support english clubs. Irish EPL fans are nothing but a laughing stock to some english football supporters.

If you look for people to say something you really want to hear you will find them.:pac::pac::pac::rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Also a few English people i have spoken to have laughed about how irish people support english clubs. Irish EPL fans are nothing but a laughing stock to some english football supporters.

thats super duper.

im really enjoying the fact that fans across borders share the same opinions and ways of looking at ppl. putting supporting a football team on a hierarchy, i wonder who they put at the top of that particular tree? more importantly, i wonder why...
    perhaps making up for something else lacking in their life that they feel the need to rank themselves as 'better' then other people... at football supporting.
    apparently the people on their barstools are sad tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I have gotten to know lots of English people over the years at Highbury, when they found out I was Irish I got pints bought for me and always given a great welcome everytime they saw me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

eagle eye wrote: »

If you look for people to say something you really want to hear you will find them.:pac::pac::pac::rolleyes:

They pointed it out to me. i did'nt ask them.

They pointed it out to me. i did'nt ask them.

and how good did it make u feel to learn that u were doing football right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I love it. You open your post with this:
    First of all, I don't support Sligo or Galway because I'm not from there. If Mayo had a team of course I'd head to games a good bit but why the hell would I support a team that has absolutely nothing to do with my county or community?

Then you finish with this:
    I've been over to Manchester quite a bit for games and they've been far from terrible. Always have and always will be a United fan through and through, as is my old man and his old man.

I've highlighted the bits in bold just so you can see your spectacular contradiction...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Obviously you don't live in Strokestown or else you drive a tractor or something because its not that far.

Where did I say I lived in Strokestown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I was born in Manchester and moved here when I was 11, 26 years ago. My family and friends (all first generation Irish) there all support their local cubs, and most find the Irish self-hatred for their own league weird. As life-long City and United fans, they are just used to outsiders wanting to gatecrash their party.

That said, support for EPL teams is an Irish phenomenon, but why not do both? My two best (Dublin born) LOI mates combine being fanatical Spurs and Liverpool supporters with a Rovers season ticket. I myself (still) am a life-long United supporter gradually drawn into the LOI because I missed the belonging and closeness of a local cub, as united became super-duper.

What you should understand is that LOI fans are not cranks. We are the normal fans. 90% of global football fans would totally sympathize with the complaints of the LOI fans here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

I used to be an ardent Shamrock Rovers fan, even went 2 years without missing a home game... but I stopped mainly cos of all the knackers that were only interested in starting fights, I couldn't understand why Dublin people wanted to kick the **** out of other Dublin people because they supported a different soccer team.

Really? I've never heard of someone so in to Rovers that they dont miss a game for two years, only to throw it away over (the now gone) problems with a few knackers? Pray tell, what two seasons were it that you went to every single home game? As a Rovers fan I'd love to discuss the seasons which obviously enthralled you so. Unless you're speaking out of your hole that is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I have gotten to know lots of English people over the years at Highbury, when they found out I was Irish I got pints bought for me and always given a great welcome everytime they saw me.

That would be my experience, so much so that I am considered a regular by the punters in one of the closest pubs to White Hart Lane.

stovelid wrote: »
    I was born in Manchester and moved here when I was 11, 26 years ago. My family and friends (all first generation Irish) there all support their local cubs, and most find the Irish self-hatred for their own league weird. As life-long City and United fans, they are just used to outsiders wanting to gatecrash their party.

That said, support for EPL teams is an Irish phenomenon, but why not do both? My two best (Dublin born) LOI mates combine being fanatical Spurs and Liverpool supporters with a Rovers season ticket. I myself (still) am a life-long United supporter gradually drawn into the LOI because I missed the belonging and closeness of a local cub, as united became super-duper.

What you should understand is that LOI fans are not cranks. We are the normal fans. 90% of global football fans would totally sympathize with the complaints of the LOI fans here.

If most english football supporters even just attended one or two LOI games a year that would be a help. If people want to support an english club thats fair enough it's their right to do so but even just a little support for an irish team could be very helpful to that club and could end up benefitting irish football as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I'll have to stop you there, Ted! :D That's like quoting Stormfront or something, absolute drivel! :pac:

Loving the double-standards from the government! One second we're unpatriotic for bombing up the M1 for a bargain in Newry, and next they're pleading to have an Irish team in the English league system - will they be persuading any supporters such a venture would gain not to travel to away games so as to reduce the money heading to Buckingham Palace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

90% of global football fans would totally sympathize with the complaints of the LOI fans here.

The other 10% are out buying Liverpool shirts in China! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I caught the end of The Premiership on Sunday, on RTE.

The presenter and Ray Houghton were having a nice little laugh at Manchester playing in the WCC, the smug looks on their faces when they said "well I'm sure all the loyal fans all the way over in Asia were excited to see their heroes".

Hilarious irony, I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I supported Man Utd from a young age up until a few years ago.

Exact same boat as me. I changed my ways about 4 years ago at the age of 14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Exact same boat as me. I changed my ways about 4 years ago at the age of 14.

I always had an interest in Shels, was at the Karpaty Lviv game even, but fell by the wayside when I started working on Friday nights.

:(

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    I always had an interest in Shels, was at the Karpaty Lviv game even, but fell by the wayside when I started working on Friday nights.

:(

I can sympathize. I missed loads of games this season because of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

DSB wrote: »
    Excellent point.

So both yourself and stovelid support sectarianism and racism? Cos that's where your logic is taking you if you follow through the thought process...

vote4pedro wrote: »
    Really? I've never heard of someone so in to Rovers that they dont miss a game for two years, only to throw it away over (the now gone) problems with a few knackers? Pray tell, what two seasons were it that you went to every single home game? As a Rovers fan I'd love to discuss the seasons which obviously enthralled you so. Unless you're speaking out of your hole that is...

I'd say I could give a good go of naming the team...

Dave Henderson, Wayne Cooney, Dave Connell, Dave Campbell, Derek Swan, Peter Eccles, some lad Bacon, another fella Keogh (who I don't think hung around too long) was there a Gus Irwin or something similar? I can even remember being at a pre-season friendly somewhere in Stillorgan where there were probably only about 5 supporters present. Circa 1992/93 and playing in the RDS. Same bouncers watching the crowd... Mr Sheen.

Why you would think I would bother going to the lengths of making this up I don't know.

So both yourself and stovelid support sectarianism and racism? Cos that's where your logic is taking you if you follow through the thought process...

I oppose it, but i don't have to reinvent myself as a hard-done-by Glaswegian to do so.

I oppose it, but i don't have to reinvent myself as a hard-done-by Glaswegian to do so.

So then you feel exactly the same way about it as I do.

So then you feel exactly the same way about it as I do.

But the sectarianism in a foreign league (between two Scottish clubs) is as relevant to me as, say, a Spanish or Palestinian team. I don't like to see it, and oppose it, but I don't see how it is of special football interest to Irish people.

Of course, a lot of Irish fans could row behind Cliftonville or Derry for the same reasons, but political comradeship is so much more convivial in a 60,000 seater stadium with regular Champion's league football, I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Why you would think I would bother going to the lengths of making this up I don't know.

Because the rubbish you come out with makes me suggest you would. That comment about sectarianism in Glasgow (in combination with your username) I find toe-curlingly embarassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Some of the posts in this thread make me really worry about the mindset of the Irish sporting public, and not just in the barstooling sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Every second week I see plenty of people from Mayo in the Showgrounds.
    The club extends its community work into not only the Sligo/Leitrim leagues, but also in the Mayo one too. I can't see how its any less unreasonable for a person to travel an hour to see a game when in reality these same people travel by air, rail and road to see whoever in the epl.
    It's nothing to do with the travelling. The club is representing Sligo. There's no doubt about that. If Sligo won the league the parties wouldn't be in Mayo. Every Tom Dick and Harry from Sligo would be celebrating.

It's easy for a Sligo person to support Sligo, Galway person to support Galway. It's natural just like it is with the GAA. There's no comparison like that with the Dublin clubs. For one, Dublin people tend not to care as much about their county as the rest. Damien Duff to me is Irish, Roy Keane to a Cork person is a Corkman. But that's not even mentioning the fact there isn't one club representing my county.

If you're from Dublin and weren't brought up a fan of any club there's .0001% chance of you growing an affinity for a club. If you're from Longford, Drogheda, Cork, Derry, etc. there's a big chance you'll support them (as long as they're succesful, like everything). So it'd be great if fans of Pats, Shels, Bohs and Rovers got off their high horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

If you're from Dublin and weren't brought up a fan of any club there's .0001% chance of you growing an affinity for a club. If you're from Longford, Drogheda, Cork, Derry, etc. there's a big chance you'll support them (as long as they're succesful, like everything). So it'd be great if fans of Pats, Shels, Bohs and Rovers got off their high horse.
    That makes us extra special :P

• Advertisement

If you're from Dublin and weren't brought up a fan of any club there's .0001% chance of you growing an affinity for a Dublin club, but a 99.99% chance of growing an affinity for a club that is 300 miles away.

FYP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

You should do what the rest of us do, even us culchies.

1)Pick up a map.
    2)Look and see which ground is closest to you.
    3)Pick the club belonging to that ground.

Sorted.

You'll have the best sustainable standard of football possible beside you.
    And not some ****ing stupid FC Celtic United del Eire going on to drag this back on topic. We are not ****ing Monaco.

It's what I've done. It's what every football supporter should do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

1)Pick up a map.

Sorted.

And not some ****ing stupid FC Celtic United del Eire going on to drag this back on topic. We are not ****ing Monaco.

Sorry to tell you but your attitude will not put bums on seats. People need glitz, glammer ect to just pick up something completely new. You'll always get a few newbies who'll be interested because they're quote 'real fans'. People want to see quality to be entertained. The mistake a lot of people who bang on about the cheapness of the LoI is that watching football is entertainment for most people and most people want to see quality(and they'll pay for it). This ain't like Lidl or Aldi for food where a cereal costs 2 quid in Lidl and 3 in Dunnes so a person goes for Lidl(and the quality whilst not been the same is near enough thanks to food regulation, wish we could have some regulation of the standard of football in this country too), food is an essential and being cheap draws the punters in. When a person wants to be entertained they'll pay for the quality, LOI ain't that.

We will never get such quality with our current league. If LoI want thousands at their games and this board devoted to Shamrock Rovers or whoever, it will not happen. The only way it can happen is the rationalisation of clubs into franchises/regions like Leinster Rugby or Munster Rugby. I suspect that is a no no with the average LoI so maybe instead of pissing money away to full time club players, they should go part time and use excess funds to improve facilities in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

themont85 wrote: »
    We will never get such quality with our current league

And there's only 3 ways I can think of that quality being there:
    1. People get off their barstools
    2. Franchises
    3. Let Sky rape us like they done to the EPL in the early 90's.

themont85 wrote: »
    If LoI want thousands at their games and this board devoted to Shamrock Rovers or whoever, it will not happen. The only way it can happen is the rationalisation of clubs into franchises/regions like Leinster Rugby or Munster Rugby. I suspect that is a no no with the average LoI so maybe instead of pissing money away to full time club players, they should go part time and use excess funds to improve facilities in this country.

So you would proprose a Leinster FC, Munster FC, Ulster FC and Connaught FC, all franchised regional teams. And me like most other LoI fans will tell you and anyone who backs that idea to go crawl back under that rock of your's with you Sky Sports, inflatable tri-colour hammer, lephrecan outfit and along with your chosen foreign team's jersey(ies).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

redout wrote: »
    Sure it nearly happened before. Wimbledon were in talks to come here in the 90's while in the premiership.

No. A couple of cute Irish hoors were allegedly thinking of bringing them to the ball.

It's one thing to be asked and then get dressed and put on the make up.

But it's another thing to be brought and then to be rode in the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

kraggy wrote: »
    No. A couple of cute Irish hoors were allegedly thinking of bringing them to the ball.

It's one thing to be asked and then get dressed and put on the make up.

But it's another thing to be brought and then to be rode in the car park.

Jaysus:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

3. Let Sky rape us like they done to the EPL in the early 90's.

Dont you think enhanced tv coverage might help the LOI attract new fans? Who cares if it is on a subscription channel- RTE doesnt have enough channels to give time to every game so where else can you put them?!!? The near lack of tv coverage is the biggest problem they have in attracting interest.
    with you Sky Sports, inflatable tri-colour hammer, lephrecan outfit and along with your chosen foreign team's jersey(ies).

This is why so few people on boards care about LOI. Foreign jerseys- ffs are fans to blame for the fact many LOI clubs engage in pretty much zero self promotion? A few months ago I saw pats jerseys in Lifestyle Sport, afaik it is the first time I had actually seen an LOI jersey on sale in a regular shop, rather than team shops/outside grounds. The LOI has only began promoting itself in recent years, and even now it is limited. Ask a class full of 10 year olds to name a few English teams and they will no problem. But LOI? I doubt most 10 year olds know we have our own league, due mainly to the lack of self promotion.

Real football fans have the urge and need for live football and atmosphere. Football fans who have the urge for football on TV's are nothing but imitations.

its wat i love.
    ppl with the want to put limitations on supporting to make themselves feel better.

the funniest part is that in reality those who support spurs, arsenal, utd dont really give that much of a sh!t. but apparantly we should... cos as Des (the most influential person in irish football on these boards) says we have to go to every game, even if we dont care about them... simply cos.

and the best method of convincing us.... make us look like we are doing football supporting wrong. its pathetic. like it or not... pathetic. i want irish football to advance, but the FAI and the LOI do nothing to make me want to and the fans that post here just seem to want to make me feel inferior (not necessarily their intention, but who am i to think of what words actually mean?).

it has been said once and ill say it again. to all the smug asswh!pes who want to make themselves feel better - get your head out of your asses, it is as simple as that. you might not want it to be that simple, but it is... no amount of "my opinion" will stop that. your head is either in ur ass or no. gavin "shels" sig is a pure example of how much better you want to make yourselves feel............. at football supporting. but then, some of you will point out how u will have highs and lows far beyond wat i experiance. to those i say, who the f**k are you? who are you to judge my life through a football team? if u really wanna feel better then you actually are, beat me at something that counts... if ya can ;)

can i sum it up in a word?
    no

in a sound?
    w@nker

merry xmas to the frauds, let your opinion be your shield against judgement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

1)Pick up a map.

Sorted.

I've done it. It failed. I couldn't grow any affinity for Pats and really didn't care too much when they won or lost.

I've already posted a very relevant stat showing the reasons why 61 people started supporting their club. 90% of them support their club because they were brought up fans of that club or because the club is representing their home town.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58354732&postcount=43

I'd say the actual figure would be higher than 90%. That shows me that if you were born on the street I was born there's very little chance you'd be a LOI fan.

It's not only LOI fans btw. Fans of Liverpool, Celtic, etc. would have started supporting them as a child. It's very rare that you'll find someone that started supporting a club in their 20's or 30's and now love that club. Unless the club is actually representing something you care about (ie. Sligo).

• Advertisement

i feckin knew it! god damn drunken rants... great fun tho! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

1)Pick up a map.

Sorted.

That's probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Do people choose their wives by finding the nearest woman to them and staying with them forever and ever despite the fact they don't actually love them?

Look its like this, I've supported United since I was born basically (the aul lad even named me after a former player unbeknown to the aul lady), and that's the way it will forever stay.

If ye all want to have the big "lolllzzz i'm a biggest fanz ever in the world!!!" competition then ye should probably do it elsewhere, or I'll go elsewhere to discuss football. I came on these boards to talk about football and exchange opinions about football, not on who is a better football fan or who isn't.

A lot of you guys would want to get your heads out of your arses, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If ye all want to have the big "lolllzzz i'm a biggest fanz ever in the world!!!" competition then ye should probably do it elsewhere, or I'll go elsewhere to discuss football. I came on these boards to talk about football and exchange opinions about football, not on who is a better football fan or who isn't.

A lot of you guys would want to get your heads out of your arses, really.

To be fair, you don't actually have to read/reply to these threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

id have an interest in LOI also in spainish and EPL but would only watch the matches on tele,although i live in Dublin i dont have a LOI team in my locality id like to support Pats but dont drive and tbh there not worth a bus and luas journey so i suppose il just sit on my couch so :pac: i agree with what eirebhoy has been saying amd i feel the same i dont have a team in my locality,i wasnt brought up going to LOI matches (although i attend every Ireland match) my interest in Pats is purely random and i already play football for my local team i find its just not worth the hassle..

scruff321 wrote: »
    id have an interest in LOI also in spainish and EPL but would only watch the matches on tele,although i live in Dublin i dont have a LOI team in my locality id like to support Pats but dont drive and tbh there not worth a bus and luas journey so i suppose il just sit on my couch so :pac: i agree with what eirebhoy has been saying amd i feel the same i dont have a team in my locality,i wasnt brought up going to LOI matches (although i attend every Ireland match) my interest in Pats is purely random and i already play football for my local team i find its just not worth the hassle..

Give it a chance man, it might not be for you. But go in with an open mind, and you might find you like it. I wasn't born a Shels fan, I've no family who are,and I'd no friends who were. I only got into it during my teenage years, by just deciding I was gonna give it a go. I don't live THAT near to Tolka either. Bout a 25-30 minutes drive. Constantly I hear people say they gave it a chance, and didn't like it, but typically I reckon that constitutes going to a match with a superior attitude and being pleased to decide that they're right when they notice the smallest thing that doesn't take their fancy, like noticing a lad in a trackie with a new age mullet. This isn't meant in a condescending way, but theres no way supporting a TV from the couch can bring the same highs that being a real part of the club can.

Ps. Forget Pats, leg it out to Tolka:D

DSB wrote: »
    Give it a chance man, it might not be for you. But go in with an open mind, and you might find you like it. I wasn't born a Shels fan, I've no family who are,and I'd no friends who were. I only got into it during my teenage years, by just deciding I was gonna give it a go. I don't live THAT near to Tolka either. Bout a 25-30 minutes drive. Constantly I hear people say they gave it a chance, and didn't like it, but typically I reckon that constitutes going to a match with a superior attitude and being pleased to decide that they're right when they notice the smallest thing that doesn't take their fancy, like noticing a lad in a trackie with a new age mullet. This isn't meant in a condescending way, but theres no way supporting a TV from the couch can bring the same highs that being a real part of the club can.

Ps. Forget Pats, leg it out to Tolka:D

I live 30 minutes drive from Turners Cross but it doesnt bother me. I've heard of people coming up from West Cork to go to the cross and thats a long enough drive.

• Advertisement

i was at the UCD - Galway game and to be perfectly honest, ive never witnessed a poorer match live. heck, i get more enjoyment watching my college team play on the wednesday lunch break

Jazzy wrote: »
    i was at the UCD - Galway game and to be perfectly honest, ive never witnessed a poorer match live. heck, i get more enjoyment watching my college team play on the wednesday lunch break
    Well then you've a perfect metrestick to work from:rolleyes:

basically wat im saying is that anytime i have sat and watched some LOI i just get disappointed. it is funny to watch some old classmates play tho, id support galway just for that... but then i do happen to live on the other side of the country and it doesnt help that one of the guys i know that plays was always a w@nker back in school. my next door neighbour beat him up aged 12 tho which was classic. they are actually good mates now

There is plenty of quality football played in the LOI, although admittedly nowhere near the standard of the Premiership. But considering we live in a different country, would it not be a better idea to work together to improve what we have, than to just settle for games on TV, and the odd weekend trip over. You genuinely don't know what you're missing out on.

You can view it as a matter of product quality, but being a supporter isn't about picking the best product, or economising for value for money by picking the team that mixes the best price with the best quality. And I don't for a second believe that you believe that either, which makes the contempt with which the LOI is treated especially weird.

Irish people will support Chelsea or Blackburn who play disgusting boring football, but will look down on their own national league. And it seems the quality of football argument gos out the window if the club gos into a horrible quality of football from a top 1, ie. the Leeds scenario. I understand theres the affection and ties that are there already, but its still a weird one, because it illustrates that the quality of football ISN'T actually the key factor in support of a football club, because people will willingly sacrifice it for affection and the feeling of belonging, if changing situations necessitate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Tbh, I think as long as you can develop a passion for a team and get into the atmosphere of a live game, the standard of football means **** all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement