Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Words fail me..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

themont85 wrote: »
    The more fairweather fans/non traditional supporters you get, the more you will convert to hardcore ones.

Foreign fans can hardly be classified as hardcore supporters. Otherwise you're pretty much justifying his point about the need to get people from the area involved who weren't previously interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

DSB wrote: »
    Foreign fans can hardly be classified as hardcore supporters. Otherwise you're pretty much justifying his point about the need to get people from the area involved who weren't previously interested.

Yep i do agree with his point. They need more people in their locality plus other places to support them, but mainly local. But much like Shelbourne who had a little run of success a few years back with the whole Lansdowne Road effort the majority there were fairweather. However,they probably converted a few of these fans to go to games more regularily than previousely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

they probably converted a few of these fans to go to games more regularily than previousely.

lolz.

no. we didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Yep i do agree with his point. They need more people in their locality plus other places to support them, but mainly local. But much like Shelbourne who had a little run of success a few years back with the whole Lansdowne Road effort the majority there were fairweather. However,they probably converted a few of these fans to go to games more regularily than previousely.

Aye, but the kind of support that shows up for Shels versus Depor is fickle, and can't be relied on.

For continuously successful clubs, this fickle support is handy because it generates money as long as the club is successful, but the club can fall back on its normal support too. For example, Leeds may have got more bums on seats when they got to the Champions League Semi's, but who do you think is the lifeblood of the club now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

With the excess revenue;
    1) Invest in your stadiums/facilities
    2) Put money into the match day atmosphere/marketing the games adn none of this half assed efforts like before which petere out quickly
    3) Rebrand the league into what it is- the best non pros in this country
    4) Invest more money into youth teams
    Since you're still lecturing us on so-called business realities...

Where is the national league to get the funds to invest in these not-so-novel ideas?

There are no 'excess revenues' in Irish football. If you have been paying attention, you will have noted that most clubs are in survival mode.

The reality of sport in Ireland actually has very little to do with business. It has to do with politics. Look at the public investment in GAA, horse and dog racing, and golf, and you will see the real logic, which is not about business but about political patronage.

Whereas official policy on football currently is that our government wants us to join the English Premiership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

stovelid wrote: »
    Aye, but the kind of support that shows up for Shels versus Depor is fickle, and can't be relied on.

For continuously successful clubs, this fickle support is handy because it generates money as long as the club is successful, but the club can fall back on its normal support too. For example, Leeds may have got more bums on seats when they got to the Champions League Semi's, but who do you think is the lifeblood of the club now?

I've already said that they have a certain number of hardcore fans but they lost the fairweather ones. But they have a larger number of hardcore fans because they were run well on both the commercial and footballing side up until the end of the 90s. The LoI clubs have a small number of these supporters because the standard has been poor for years.
    SectionF wrote: »
    Since you're still lecturing us on so-called business realities...

Where is the national league to get the funds to invest in these not-so-novel ideas?

There are no 'excess revenues' in Irish football. If you have been paying attention, you will have noted that most clubs are in survival mode.

The reality of sport in Ireland actually has very little to do with business. It has to do with politics. Look at the public investment in GAA, horse and dog racing, and golf, and you will see the real logic, which is not about business but about political patronage.

Whereas official policy on football currently is that our government wants us to join the English Premiership.

I already said, stop pursuing the full time dream in order to get the standard up a bit that maybe one day a team will qualify for the CL. This is a short term policy. I already said that the paying public want a good standard not a mediocre one for entertainment. They aren't buying into the LoI at its current standard and have yet to break out of their hardcore fans. The hardcore fans won't ditch the team. Reinvest the revenue in the above, even if it is a little.

I agree about politics in this country but look at the IRFU. They run the pro game here well, not getting nearly the same funding as the GAA or the tax breaks on horses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

. The LoI clubs have a small number of these supporters because the standard has been poor for years.
    The standard is not ****ing poor!:mad:
    Look at these and tell me the standard is poor.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/mns/features/gotm_archive.html

I agree about politics in this country but look at the IRFU. They run the pro game here well, not getting nearly the same funding as the GAA or the tax breaks on horses.

The IRFU run 4 franchises.
    1)The idea of franchise football sickens me.
    2)There are 20 ish football clubs in this country. Each steeped in history in heritage. Which 4 do you save or more importantly, which 15 do you destroy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

This is a short term policy. I already said that the paying public want a good standard not a mediocre one for entertainment. They aren't buying into the LoI at its current standard and have yet to break out of their hardcore fans.
    The standard has vastly increased in the last 10 years, but the crowds have not.

The IRFU run 4 franchises.
    1)The idea of franchise football sickens me.
    2)There are 20 ish football clubs in this country. Each steeped in history in heritage. Which 4 do you save or more importantly, which 15 do you destroy?
    The example of rugby looks compelling, but it is entirely irrelevant. Rugby appeals to a radically different demographic and has a lot more going for it in terms of aspirational snob value. Lots of people follow rugby for lots of reasons that are not inherent to the game.

Football appeals to mostly young, working class males. In the EPL, it has celebrity power. Here, it's only advantage is the superiority of the game itself.

The national league would be viable as it is currently composed, with decent standards and facilities, if Irish people supported football other than that served up by Sky etc. The tragedy of it is that they don't. There is no silver bullet that will fix this. What we need is an entire change of culture, and calling the game a product and producing a back-of-the-envelope 'business' plan isn't going to achieve that.

The reason that the game in Britain developed to the point where it became marketable was that people genuinely loved football, not some 'product' that they consumed with beer. People in Ireland, for the most part, don't love football in that way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

dying on the cross for our sins again?

"Stop doing football wrong!!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Jazzy wrote: »
    dying on the cross for our sins again?

"Stop doing football wrong!!"

Like it or not, sport and geography are related. Would you find it strange if someone from Cork supported Kerry in football and Kilkenny in hurling? It would go against what the GAA, and sport is all about.

of course they are related. but thats not my point. my point is that ppl just want to make themselves feel better then their fellow man.... at football supporting. i have plenty of respect for those that go to LoI games or MLS games in the states that follow their local side and watnot. but the keyword is humble. point to me one LoI supporter on this thread that is humble

Found by coincidence, Malachy Clerkin in the Tribune...
    Truth is, we’re a success-mad country. We’re a glamour-mad country. We’re the Premier League and the Heineken Cup, the big day out and the gala banquet. Everything has to be an occasion now or it’s nothing. One of the more depressing sights of the year came only a fortnight ago in Thomond Park where the Munster v Clermont Auvergne game was prefaced by a warm-up guy with a microphone exhorting the crowd into chanting ‘Muuuunnnnsterrrrr… Muuuunnnnsterrrrr’ along with him. He was there for an age, giving it, “And now the West Stand… And now the East Stand… And now the terraces…” To their credit, most of the crowd only half-heartedly joined in with him…
    Nannying people into creating an atmosphere not only doesn’t work, it only serves to further alienate genuine supporters. That this central truth can be ignored in Thomond Park of all places just goes to show how prevalent the big-day-out culture is now.
    And it matters. There is cause and effect. The Eircom League is withering for many reasons but the over-arching one is its inability to live sustainably in a world where the self-styled biggest day out in soccer is an hour away on a plane…

but the keyword is humble. point to me one LoI supporter on this thread that is humble
    Football fans are not "humble".

Oirish people just dont have a clue. Thats the problem in a nutshell.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Football fans are not "humble".

Oirish people just dont have a clue. Thats the problem in a nutshell.

nope. thats just what you want the problem to be as you want to feel like you are better then others. if I was wrong you would have said "Irish" instead of "Oirish". proof is in the christmas pudding

Well, lots of us believe that traditional football fans, like LOI fans, English fans who support their local teams, and ordinary football fans all over the world ARE better than plastic paddies, daytrippers, the suit wearing prawn sandwich brigades, asian TV fans and Japanese schoolgirls obsessed with David Beckham.

The problem is that there just arent enough traditional football fans here. Threads like these illustrate the fact that a large percentage of Oirish fans dont even recognise the difference between the former and the latter.

Back on topic

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/letters/2008/1227/1229728559325.html
    Cullen scores an own goal

Madam, – Speaking on RTÉ 2FM’s Sports Bag programme last Sunday, Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism Martin Cullen expressed his desire to “see a European [football] team playing out of Dublin”.

He further opinied that “the stadium would be full every Saturday if we had a team playing in the Premiership in the UK.”

That no such venture would be sanctioned by the sport’s governing bodies, that no such league as the UK Premiership is extant, and that all six senior teams playing out of Dublin are perforce European (Lisbon Treaty or no) are established facts.

Mr Cullen’s ignorance of these matters is not his greatest trangression, however (for who except the most benighted idealist now expects a Minister to understand his or her brief?). Far more alarming is the Minister’s advocacy of a course that would inevitably result in the collapse of the already fragile indigenous football industry.

For a Cabinet Minister to propose, in the midst of a recession, measures assured to result in thousands of redundancies within his very Departments sphere of interest is dumbfounding even by the shameless standards of the current Government.

Mr Cullen declares himself “very supportive” of the notion of a Dublin-based team playing in a European league. This will doubtless be of interest to Dublin’s Bohemian FC as they prepare to represent Ireland in the qualifying stages of next year’s UEFA Champions League. It remains to be seen whether the support pledged by the Minister is forthcoming. – Yours, etc,

TURLOUGH KELLY,
    Sillogue Gardens,
    Ballymun,
    Dublin 11.

i dont follow football with the pre-tense of wanting to feel better then ppl. i think it is an extremely lame way of trying to 1-up others. the fact that u admittedly have little or no dignity in this regard speaks volumes of what this thread is really about. granted, this is hardly a good measuring stick for most LoI fans feelings but from what I can see on these boards the LoI fans that post here have an unusual passion for hating PL fans. and isnt it that passion for hate that so often causes trouble in football? trouble that those same fans would condemn outright.

hypocrites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

hypocrites

Pretty sure thats every football fans birthright. All football fans are hypocrites.

Most LOI fans hate PL fans as they see them as the reason the league struggles maybe they are right? If a qtr of them went to EL games teams wouldnt be struggling.

Quality of football argument is plainly stupid, you will see **** games in every league no exceptions, if a Euro super league took off and top 4 in the PL left, no way in hell would anyone watch the PL unless they were a fan of a club in it.

There are some LOI nazis (think they all post here) altho a lot less of them then there are PL Super Nazis.

Personally cba about that argument, future of LOI isnt in the hands of blowin PL fans, its bringing kids to games and getting them into it early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

The comments made by Cullen were disgraceful. Embarassing and disgraceful.

The problem, in a nutshell, is that the Irish are a nation of event junkies.

They attend 5-6 internationals in soccer, same in rugby. Dublin GAA fans go to about 5 games in the Championship (look at their league attendances in comparison).

If FC Dublin Fingal Franchise set up here and were allowed play in the premier league, you wouldn't get half way through the season until the crowds dropped off massively.

The Irish, best fans in the world we are...

• Advertisement

i dont follow football with the pre-tense of wanting to feel better then ppl. i think it is an extremely lame way of trying to 1-up others.

Funnily enough, if the mods allowed it, a lot of Liverpool and United fans would be happy to wind each other all day about the most arcane, pedantic things, but the slightest ribbing about the national league, and it's hankies out and weepies about WUMs.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    blowin PL fans

you make a decent argument and then u go and generalise.....

i think its just easier to blame all the PL fans on this forum here as they are right there to blame. the fact that Irish sport is split into 3 main areas (Rugby, football and GAA) whereas in most euro countries its split into 2 is a big disadvantage. the fact that ever since i was born the FAI has had rabbits at the controls of those that are in charge and it is also underfunded. the fact that the RTE dont really give a tuppence about the LoI and our newspapers (in fact 90% of our media) couldnt care less about it doesnt help.

if u want to blame GAA then you will have to go and troll the GAA forum, same with rugby. the fact is PL fans are right here to blame and you can do it while remaining pretty much troll free. hence the want to feel better, hence the hypocrisy.

it isnt because PL fans are "blowins" that support "Oireland" and sit on their "barstools" that the LoI is in the trouble its in, its convenient to blame them and ridicule them but there are far more important factors....
    but if we made threads about those (which amazingly this one actually is) then no1 would be able to get that sense of self justification that you are indeed better then the rest

you make a decent argument and then u go and generalise.....

i think its just easier to blame all the PL fans on this forum here as they are right there to blame. the fact that Irish sport is split into 3 main areas (Rugby, football and GAA) whereas in most euro countries its split into 2 is a big disadvantage. the fact that ever since i was born the FAI has had rabbits at the controls of those that are in charge and it is also underfunded. the fact that the RTE dont really give a tuppence about the LoI and our newspapers (in fact 90% of our media) couldnt care less about it doesnt help.

if u want to blame GAA then you will have to go and troll the GAA forum, same with rugby. the fact is PL fans are right here to blame and you can do it while remaining pretty much troll free. hence the want to feel better, hence the hypocrisy.

it isnt because PL fans are "blowins" that support "Oireland" and sit on their "barstools" that the LoI is in the trouble its in, its convenient to blame them and ridicule them but their are far more important factors....
    but if we made threads about those (which amazingly this one actually is) then no1 would be able to get that sense of self justification that you are indeed better then the rest

err good point but "blowin PL fans " was used in the context that they would "blowin" to LOI games :o not to their own teams.

Most LOI fans hate PL fans as they see them as the reason the league struggles maybe they are right? If a qtr of them went to EL games teams wouldnt be struggling.

Should point out that a fair few LOI fans I know are PL fans too.

Personally cba about that argument, future of LOI isnt in the hands of blowin PL fans, its bringing kids to games and getting them into it early.

I think you've a point there about bringing kids to games. I know a number of LoI clubs (Bohs for one) run kids go free promotions i.e. 2 kids get free entry with every paying adult. The problem is that you need the adults to bring them and pay in.

I'm sure there's also other factors (such as getting the p*ss taken out of them by their schoolmates for supporting a LoI team and not Man U/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea). Clubs have tried this kids go free promotion. We've tried adverstising in the papers. We've tried radio and tv ads. We've improved communication to fans (e.g. texts informing of next home game coming up/new jersey in the shops/new signing etc.). We've improved our websites (video highlights, match reviews etc.). We've made progress in Europe. We've invested in teams to improve the standard, and many clubs have ended up in financial difficulty because of it. We've moved to a summer season to help improve the standard and competitiveness of teams in Europe. None of these have any significant impact on attendances to be honest.

I really don't know if there's any hope/way to improve average attendances for the coming season. I'll say it again. The Irish are a nation of event junkies.

ahh i see, i thought u meant "blowin" as in fickle fans that follow english teams part time as more of a fashion accessory

stovelid wrote: »
    Should point out that a fair few LOI fans I know are PL fans too.

So why slaughter anyone on here who is a PL only fan? They aint gonna change and start supporting Pats or whatever. They fans of their own team and to them thats that, they think the LOI is crap (they have a point). Your not gonna get any of these fans to start going to LOI unless its a top euro game vs a top european english side. And even then your hoping for the rivals factor.

Im a PL fan, la liga fan and a bundesliga fan too. But most importantly to me im a Pats fan simply cos i was brought to games as a kid and kept going on my own and that is the biggest thing for LOI clubs, they have to get kids in and get them going home nagging mas and das to bring them back.

LOL hopefully some of the PL fans on here are the mas and das :D:D

Zzzz, what a load of rubbish.

We have plenty of people who are interested in football in this country. The fact is most are event junkies, bandwagoners and gloryhunters, only interested in following giant, mega-rich successful English Premier League clubs from the comfort of their sitting room. They pay lipservice to being football fans, but they have nothing in common with football fans elsewhere. This is why the domestic game suffers.

There is no larger factor than the apathy and attitudes of the Irish sporting public in the success/failure of the league.

By saying that football fans should be "humble" and "not passionately hate plastic fans" because it might spill over into nastiness shows just how disconnected you are from real football fans. I mean the mind boggles.

The way forward for the league to be run on a prudent & sound economic footing, where possible by members owned clubs, playing in small, quality stadiums around the country. We need to get real and stop imagining that one day the likes of the diehardlifelongmanutdfanfromtipperarywhoisheadingtooldtraffordforthefirsttimenextmarch (tm) will suddenly "get it"

Zzzz, what a load of rubbish.

We have plenty of people who are interested in football in this country. The fact is most are event junkies, bandwagoners and gloryhunters, only interested in following giant, mega-rich successful English Premier League clubs from the comfort of their sitting room. They pay lipservice to being football fans, but they have nothing in common with football fans elsewhere. This is why the domestic game suffers.

There is no larger factor than the apathy and attitudes of the Irish sporting public in the success/failure of the league.

By saying that football fans should be "humble" and "not passionately hate plastic fans" because it might spill over into nastiness shows just how disconnected you are from real football fans. I mean the mind boggles.

The way forward for the league to be run on a prudent & sound economic footing, where possible by members owned clubs, playing in small, quality stadiums around the country. We need to get real and stop imagining that one day the likes of the diehardlifelongmanutdfanfromtipperarywhoisheadingtooldtraffordforthefirsttimenextmarch (tm) will suddenly "get it"

see all them points i was making about the want and need to feel better but avoid all the actual issues? well with the above post i can just go "pretty much that"

• Advertisement

Ive highlighted the one main issue, which renders the rest moot.

Publin just listed all the measures taken to improve the league, and attendances have remained unmoved in the face of that issue.

We need to forget about trying to placating the likes of you in the hopes that you'll become a football fan instead of a plastic tomorrow.

They pay lipservice to being football fans, but they have nothing in common with football fans elsewhere. This is why the domestic game suffers.

No its not, the domestic league suffers from idiots running clubs, idiots running the league.

When was the last asterix free league table? Does nobody actually look at that and think that a complete joke of a league?

When was the last time a team won the league and didnt implode the next after overspending?

Theres 2 sides to this we are fans of teams in the LOI and tbh that and only that is the reason we go. Anyone who isnt a fan just looks at the league as a complete joke which it is and it is consistently a joke.

I know Pats play some ****ing stunning football at times, cant defend for **** but hey going forward we can be quite awesome, our highlight reels can be pure class. I know as a football fan i getting my value for my money.

Doesnt mean that people will come watch us in a **** hole of a stadium cos we are pats. But kids will.............

I see your points dreamers, and would be the first to agree that we need to put our collective houses in order.

But dont be under the illusion that if and when that happens Paddy Premiership is going to come flooding through the turnstiles.

I see your points dreamers, and would be the first to agree that we need to put our collective houses in order.

But dont be under the illusion that if and when that happens Paddy Premiership is going to come flooding through the turnstiles.

Im not and never will be, they will never come tru our gates ever ever ever*, why go SDTV when you are brought up on HDTV. Kids are the future.

But im not gonna bitch and whinge about them killing our game or "stealing our ball" **** all to do with them, everything wrong with the LOI is the people within the LOI and will continue to be. We all want bigger gates going on an internet messageboard and complaining to people who support PL teams isnt going to get you any more. may make you feel better tho :D

*Bohs vs Celtic in CL qualifier then maybe, good luck getting a ticket.

We need to forget about trying to placating the likes of you in the hopes that you'll become a football fan instead of a plastic tomorrow.

so u are the authority on wat is a football fan now? and i spose this is because u support a LoI team and are better at football supporting then others. where u get ur jollies of course is your own choice... and if that is on a football forum on the net where u attempt to lord it over ppl who are fans of the same sport then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Agree, as an Arsenal supporter I have zero interest in LOI, and no amount of facilities etc would encourage me to go to a LOI match. That is just me, not sure how other PL supporters feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Agree, as an Arsenal supporter I have zero interest in LOI, and no amount of facilities etc would encourage me to go to a LOI match. That is just me, not sure how other PL supporters feel.

Out of interest why are you an Arsenal supporter and why wouldn't you go to a LoI match?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Out of interest why are you an Arsenal supporter and why wouldn't you go to a LoI match?

Became an Arsenal supporter after seeing David Rocatle playing for England, bacame hooked on Arsenal after my first live match at Highbury. I was just being honest when I said I would't go to a LOI match, not trying to be smart or anything like that, I just have zero interest in the league and no amount of marketing is going to attract me to it, I actually went to a Shels/Arsenal friendly years ago, the stadium was quite nice but just have no interest in going back, I'm only speaking for myself but would be interested to know how other PL supporters feel. By the way I'm not a barstool PL fan;)

*Bohs vs Celtic in CL qualifier then maybe, good luck getting a ticket.
    Wont be looking for a ticket for that particular game ;)

OPENROAD wrote: »
    just have no interest in going back, I'm only speaking for myself but would be interested to know how other PL supporters feel. By the way I'm not a barstool PL fan;)

You may get slated for that, but as an LoI fan I appreciate your honesty and it is a step towards proving what I believe - no matter what we do, some people (EPL fans) just will not go to LoI games.
    Wont be looking for a ticket for that particular game ;)

Signed up as a member of Bohs already? ;)

As we're all being honest here, and I realise I'm going off-topic... but I have to say if such a game ever came about (Bohs -v- Celtic in a Champions/Europa league qualifier), a part of me would want to close off the stadium to all non-Bohs members/fans and other LoI fans, and just forget about the money the day-trippers would pay.

Obviously, this would never happen, so being more realistic I'd be more than happy to see us charge €100 for a ticket and fleece them (I was delighted with the rip-off prices charged by LoI teams to see friendlies against Sunderland and other EPL teams in recent years).

Hypothetical situation I know, but the thoughts of it alone are sickening to me... all those Irish people supporting a foreign club against their own Irish club in a Champions league qualifier (not picking on Celtic by the way, same would go for any EPL side).

Publin wrote: »
    as an LoI fan I appreciate your honesty

+1

It's better than "the standard is shoite like, I watched like one game a few years ago, it was shoite, so oim never goin back like"

or

"the facilities are shoite like, I expect a Premier League standard stadium, but that one toim I went to a match, it was freezing loike"

or some other such waffle.

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    +1

It's better than "the standard is shoite like, I watched like one game a few years ago, it was shoite, so oim never goin back like"

or

"the facilities are shoite like, I expect a Premier League standard stadium, but that one toim I went to a match, it was freezing loike"

or some other such waffle.

or the worst one:

I'd probably be a season ticket holder and member by now, only for you lot being so judgemental.

if u want to blame GAA then you will have to go and troll the GAA forum, same with rugby. the fact is PL fans are right here to blame and you can do it while remaining pretty much troll free. hence the want to feel better, hence the hypocrisy
    Why would one go on a GAA or Irish rugby forum to discuss attitudes towards Irish football? This is the football ('soccer') forum, and we are discussing football, and the inherent contradiction in Irish people's approach to the sport, as condensed in the utterly offensive opinions of our Sports Minister.

If you want a forum that is free of discussion of Irish football and its issues, i.e. that is pure EPL, there are many in Britain and probably globally that are just a Google away. Why EPL fans should feel the need to discuss that league, other than travel and TV schedules, outside of British fora, is another matter. Perhaps it's part of the whole make-believe approach that the marketing of the game encourages.

Just because RTE and our print media largely ignore authentic Irish football in the form of the national league doesn't mean that a discussion forum on the net should follow suit. Sorry if it makes you feel uncomfortable and demands a huge effort from you to dream up reasons why you couldn't support an EPL/British team and an Irish one as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Why would one go on a GAA or Irish rugby forum to discuss attitudes towards Irish football? This is the football

Nope, it's the "soccer" forum.

Football in this country is Gaelic Football, soccer is soccer.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

:pac: No it's not. Football is football. Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

SantryRed wrote: »
    :pac: No it's not. Football is football. Simple.

i'd keep quiet unless you want to end up in the boot of a renault megane...

Why would one go on a GAA or Irish rugby forum to discuss attitudes towards Irish football? This is the football ('soccer') forum, and we are discussing football, and the inherent contradiction in Irish people's approach to the sport, as condensed in the utterly offensive opinions of our Sports Minister.

because the failures of irish football are tied into the relative successes that are irish rugby and GAA. to discuss that you'd need to go into a separate forum other then this as i dont think we know as much about rugby or GAA to have a reasonable debate. id imagine the supporters / posters on those other forums do.
    without the facts all we have are opinions, and opinions are boll*cks

because the failures of irish football are tied into the relative successes that are irish rugby and GAA.
    Probably. But not as much at they are tied into the failure or Irish football supporters to support Irish football. We need to prioritize. ;)

Are you trolling?

Probably. But not as much at they are tied into the failure or Irish football supporters to support Irish football. We need to prioritize. ;)

is that an opinion? :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement