Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Words fail me..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

dreamers75 wrote: »
    why go SDTV when you are brought up on HDTV

Quite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

SectionF wrote: »
    Are you trolling?

The name of the forum you are posting in is???

Complete the name of RTE's flagship domestic soccer programme - Monday Night ......

You accuse me of trolling???

i'd keep quiet unless you want to end up in the boot of a renault megane...

What's that supposed to mean?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

What's that supposed to mean?

inspector gadget says it was a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

"If you can turn a fella GAY, you can turn a fella GAA." :D

The name of the forum you are posting in is???

Complete the name of RTE's flagship domestic soccer programme - Monday Night ......

You accuse me of trolling???
    As you well know, you deliberately edited the word 'soccer' from my post when you quoted it, to allow you to make a completely specious and irrelevant point. That's trolling.

In any case, the fact that RTE appears to have a policy never to call football soccer does not make it a reality, as you (and I'm sure our Sports Minister) seem to believe. The game, in the English language, is football. Gaelic football is not football, it's Gaelic football, regardless of the puerile name game pursued in our media.

PS: added to the collection... :D

:pac:

As you well know, you deliberately edited the word 'soccer' from my post when you quoted it, to allow you to make a completely specious and irrelevant point. That's trolling.

In any case, the fact that RTE appears to have a policy never to call football soccer does not make it a reality, as you (and I'm sure our Sports Minister) seem to believe. The game, in the English language, is football. Gaelic football is not football, it's Gaelic football, regardless of the puerile name game pursued in our media.

PS: added to the collection... :D

:pac:

Actually it's not.

I believe it's real name is Association Football.

Football in Ireland refers to Gaelic Football.
    Football in America refers to American Football.
    Football in Australia refers to Australian Rules Football.

All of the above are English speaking countries, yet football in none of the above refers to soccer, thus negating your argument in bold above. Football, in a British context, refers to soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Actually it's not.

All of the above are English speaking countries, yet football in none of the above refers to soccer, thus negating your argument in bold above. Football, in a British context, refers to soccer.

How hypocritical to be posting that in this thread.

• Advertisement

DSB wrote: »
    How hypocritical to be posting that in this thread.

How have I been hypocritical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

I'm not American. I don't walk on the "sidewalk", or take out the "garbage", or eat "jello". And I sure as hell don't say "soccer". It's football.

Anyway, this is taking away from the real reason for this thread - the outrageous comments made by Cullen.

How have I been hypocritical?

I'd consider it selective Irishness, but then again Irish Celtic fans seem to have complete opposite opinions on what that is than me. And that last sentence isn't meant in a bitchy way.

Publin wrote: »
    I'm not American. I don't walk on the "sidewalk", or take out the "garbage", or eat "jello". And I sure as hell don't say "soccer". It's football.

Anyway, this is taking away from the real reason for this thread - the outrageous comments made by Cullen.

No you're Irish and you're posting in a forum about soccer that is called "Soccer".

I tell you what, look at the full definitions of both soccer and football in a dictionary and see what they say.

I'd consider it selective Irishness, but then again Irish Celtic fans seem to have complete opposite opinions on what that is than me. And that last sentence isn't meant in a bitchy way.

Great, now explain why it's hypocritical.

Supporting a foreign club, but criticising what you deem to be foreign versions of the wording of that same sport.

• Advertisement

Supporting a foreign club, but criticising what you deem to be foreign versions of the wording of that same sport.

Great (again), but still no explanation of how it's hypocritical. The above is a completely illogical statement. Are you honestly saying that someone who supports a foreign soccer team has no right to make a statement on linguistic signifiers?

By the way, are you sure you're reading (and ergo understanding) my posts properly??? I don't even think I criticised any "foreign" words, I merely put them into their colloquial context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

No you're Irish and you're posting in a forum about soccer that is called "Soccer".

I tell you what, look at the full definitions of both soccer and football in a dictionary and see what they say.

Yeah it's called the "Soccer" forum. I'd imagine everyone who posts on boards.ie isn't Irish though. The dictionary definition may say "soccer" is the correct word to use, but this isn't an English grammar forum and I think most will agree that "football" is what the majority of people in Ireland would say and not "soccer". I know that if I referred to it as soccer, be it with college friends, work friends, family/relatives, school friends etc. I'd probably get a slagging for it.

This debate is incredibly off topic anyway so I'll leave it at this.

Publin wrote: »
    Yeah it's called the "Soccer" forum. I'd imagine everyone who posts on boards.ie isn't Irish though. The dictionary definition may say "soccer" is the correct word to use, but this isn't an English grammar forum and I think most will agree that "football" is what the majority of people in Ireland would say and not "soccer". I know that if I referred to it as soccer, be it with college friends, work friends, family/relatives, school friends etc. I'd probably get a slagging for it.

This debate is incredibly off topic anyway so I'll leave it at this.

Grand, we'll agree to disagree so. Most people I know refer to Gaelic Football as Football and Soccer as Soccer.

More people attend Football games than soccer games so I guess more people use the term Football to refer to Gaelic Football. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Grand, we'll agree to disagree so. Most people I know refer to Gaelic Football as Football and Soccer as Soccer.

More people attend Football games than soccer games so I guess more people use the term Football to refer to Gaelic Football. :D

But anyways, leaving aside the troll.

Cullen symbolizes Fianna Fáil to a tee. Blatant hypocrites.

Sport AND Politics???

But all you guys say they don't mix...

Amazing how someone is labelled a troll even though they are making valid points that can't be refuted.

Also, please stop breaking the rules of the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Sport AND Politics???

Sport and politics do mix. Whether that's good or bad.....

As for the soccer/football debate, I love both sports and I couldn't care less what people call them. I've called association football both "football" and "soccer", and called Gaelic football both "GAA" and "football". As long as people know what sport you're talking about, there isn't a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Sport AND Politics???

Amazing how someone is labelled a troll even though they are making valid points that can't be refuted.

Also, please stop breaking the rules of the forum.

Sport and politics dont mix, when i tell Celtic fans that Bobby Sands was nothing but a patsy whose demise and death was just a cheap PR stunt for a murderous Republican movement it don't go down too well. Truth hurts i guess:confused:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Actually it's not.

Glasgow Celtic Association Football Club doesnt have the same ring to it. I emailed them to change it, the campaign starts here.

I bet theres a funny team initials when you add in the A somewhere in the world.

well done bobbysands. good job ruining a good thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Actually it's not.

I don't give two fcuks. I'll call it what I want. I don't care about gah so I'll call it football.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Glasgow Celtic Association Football Club doesnt have the same ring to it. I emailed them to change it, the campaign starts here.

I bet theres a funny team initials when you add in the A somewhere in the world.

Whoosh, you completely missed the point pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Whoosh, you completely missed the point pal.

Like you with this thread.:rolleyes:

Sport and politics dont mix, when i tell Celtic fans that Bobby Sands was nothing but a patsy whose demise and death was just a cheap PR stunt for a murderous Republican movement it don't go down too well. Truth hurts i guess:confused:.

So you claim that sport and politics don't mix and then you make a political point on a sports forum?

Like you with this thread.:rolleyes:

My first post on this thread was in keeping with the spirit of the thread. It was others who went off-topic, I merely defended myself throughout without resorting to nastiness or name calling, which others have done.

Interestingly you feel the need to pull me up on this and not the other transgressors... I wonder why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

So you claim that sport and politics don't mix and then you make a political point on a sports forum?

Depends on the politics involved really, Minister Cullen has some loopy ideas on the future of Irish Soccerball which is certainly a concern worth discussing. On the otherhand Bobbysands81 somehow i doubt thats your type of politics?

• Advertisement

BS81, I may have missed it, and if I did I apologise, but as far as I can see you have yet to address your trollish dropping of the word 'soccer' from your quotation of my text, which gave you the pretext for this entire piece of junk linguistics.

Your soccer v football malarkey is completely pointless. The game is, of course, validly known as both soccer and football (though I'd wager that most of your Celtic-supporting comrades call it football).

What clearly is not valid is the risible practice, as seen in the Apres Match sketches, of claiming a monopoly on the word as used in a small island off Europe's Atlantic coast. You really do need to develop a sense of perspective.

My first post on this thread was in keeping with the spirit of the thread. It was others who went off-topic, I merely defended myself throughout without resorting to nastiness or name calling, which others have done.

Interestingly you feel the need to pull me up on this and not the other transgressors... I wonder why?

nah man, u ruined it. u dont have keep posting. i think ppl got your point quite easily earlier on. stop with the pre tense of being an innocent party

Jazzy wrote: »
    nah man, u ruined it. u dont have keep posting. i think ppl got your point quite easily earlier on. stop with the pre tense of being an innocent party

You're right, I should just take the tripe doled out to me and not bother fighting back. If I'm not innocent then maybe you'd point out the posts where I abuse/attack people?

God forbid someone have an alternative point of view to the clique on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

This was proving to be quite an interesting thread, and relatively peaceful too.

To ameliorate bs81's concerns, lets just assume that any time we mention football on a forum dedicated to association football, we are talking about association football unless corrected.

We have got to this point without any mass confusion amongst the regulars here about which sport football refers to, and I'm sure we can continue to do so.

stovelid wrote: »
    This was proving to be quite an interesting thread, and relatively peaceful too.

To ameliorate bs81's concerns, lets just assume that any time we mention football on a forum dedicated to association football, we are talking about association football unless corrected.

We have got to this point without any mass confusion amongst the regulars here about which sport football refers to, and I'm sure we can continue to do so.

Beautifully posted in the "Soccer" forum.

Association football is a type of "football" but not the only type - that is merely my point. I have no problem with you guys continuing to call it "football", nor do I care. I was merely pointing out that the term "football" generally refers to Gaelic Football in this country and not soccer. That's when the clique got all defensive, abusive and turned.

Throughout the world the word "Football" has different localised definitions. In Ireland, Britain, USA and Australia the same word, generally speaking, has 4different meanings. Association Football, in all those 4 places, has only one meaning. Soccer, in all those 4 places, also has only one meaning... and is the name of this forum.

Now as far as I'm concerned nobody has actually disagreed with any of the above facts, yet there is a debate going on here. Why is there a debate? Because certain posters are getting personal and reverting to mud slinging.

Stick to the facts and argue against me if you like but leave the childish name calling and insults out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Jesus, will you just stop posting? This thread is about Martin Cullens comments and the wider perception of football by the Irish public.

SantryRed wrote: »
    I don't give two fcuks. I'll call it what I want. I don't care about gah so I'll call it football.

A childish and base level of debate, a willful ignorance of reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

SantryRed wrote: »
    You are clearly a troll when it comes to anything LOI. Piss off would you?

Lads, it's against the charter to accuse someone of being a troll so please keep that in mind. Any more of it and there will be infractions, if only to cut out the crap. If you don't like a post then report it.

As for the other nonsense, the name 'soccer', 'football', 'socball' or whatever you want to call it is not the topic here. Quit dragging the thread OT.

I was merely pointing out that the term "football" generally refers to Gaelic Football in this country and not soccer.
    Not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I've been reading this thread with genuine interest and while I'm not one to be usually getting into such heated debates like this, I thought I may share the reasons why I've grown out of love with the LOI the past number of years.

Up until I was around 14 years old, I followed Waterford Utd pretty frequently. I didn't go to any away games (apart from the FAI Cup final back in 2004) but I went to a lot of home games whenever I could. While Man Utd will always be my no.1 football club I'd only been over there a few times, so it was nice to get some regular live football in.

But in the past few years, my interest in the club has slowly dwindled and now its been over 3 years since I last went to a match. I still look out for how they're getting on and it's a shame to see them struggling financially, but I'm just not as connected with them as I used to be.

I never really thought about why this happened until I read this thread, and then it slowly dawned on me. I can put it down to two factors mainly, Sky Sports and the GAA.

We only got SS in the household 3 years ago but it was a huge change. Now in the comfort of my living room I could watch the real big clashes like United-Liverpool or United-Arsenal. While it'll probably frustrate you LOI followers to here this, I'm not ashamed to admit it had a huge bearing on my footballing habits. Why pay 5-10 euro to see semi-pro's battle it out on a cold night when I can see two of the best clubs in the world live in my own room?

But probably the no.1 aspect was the GAA. Hear me out with this one. Up until 2002 or so I supported the Waterford hurling team and Waterford Utd pretty much equally. But while my interest in United went down, my love for hurling just grew more and more, to the point where I think I can consider myself to be one of the die-hard supporters, like some of you LOI people are with your own clubs.

It was probably the LOI moving to the summer which put the final nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned. While both teams never played on the same day, I just wasn't able to strongly support both teams in two different sports, and in the end the choice was pretty easy. See a fantastic sport with your local county playing in the Munster Championship in front of crowds of 40,000 on a warm summer sunday, or Waterford Utd vs Monaghan in front of 1,500 on a friday night?

It may hurt to hear, but the fact is I get the best of both worlds. I support my local team up and down the country year in, year out in hurling, and I still strongly follow Man United throughout the season with the possibility of going over to a match once or twice a year.

I don't envy the FAI, it's an unfortunate situation to be in. Many other national leagues don't have the problem of competing with such a strong organization such as the GAA as well as the most watched league in the world just across the sea. Of course the situation is fixable, but I wouldn't be surprised if what I've just described occurred regularly with other former LOI followers the past number of years. But after reading of the situation Finn Harps and Drogheda find themselves in, it's obvious something has to be done very fast before it's too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Waterford's support in hurling is sh1te as well.

Bunch of moaning glass blowers. :mad:

At least the soccer team has some history of some sort of success.

Not that youd know it in that kip.

Waterford.....forever in the shadow of Cork.

I would have no issue with you supporting Man Utd. btw.

lol, there's so many things i'd love to say right now based on whats been happening down there recently, but your obviously just trying to get a rise out of me, so i'll leave it there.

We're discussing the state of the LOI, not the state of Waterford GAAs support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

that was a hugely honest post deise, fair play to you.

Good insight there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The example of rugby looks compelling, but it is entirely irrelevant. Rugby appeals to a radically different demographic and has a lot more going for it in terms of aspirational snob value. Lots of people follow rugby for lots of reasons that are not inherent to the game.

Football appeals to mostly young, working class males. In the EPL, it has celebrity power. Here, it's only advantage is the superiority of the game itself.

Hi there 10 years ago. Go to Thomond park for a game and tell me that's true. Rugby is significantly broadening it's appeal - and it's playing base. Not only does it steal potential LOI fans, it is stealing potential future footballers too. Why? Because it's a clever operation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Cork people lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

<-- tbh
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Cork people lol.

Excellent post Deise.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Hi there 10 years ago. Go to Thomond park for a game and tell me that's true. Rugby is significantly broadening it's appeal - and it's playing base. Not only does it steal potential LOI fans, it is stealing potential future footballers too. Why? Because it's a clever operation.
    Munster, as everyone knows, is a singular exception, and the rest of rugby is still essentially aspirational middle class. I'm not knocking the game, btw. What I'm saying is that it is an ideal vehicle for marketers, which football isn't, so we need to think beyond the simplistic refrain that says rugby is a model for the development of football.
    As for development of players, there probably have never been more future footballers in Ireland than now. It would be nice if we had a viable league for them to play in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Fair play Deise.

As sad as the post makes me, it's refreshing to hear somebody not placing the entire blame for low attendance at the feet of the LOI 'standard' or the attitude of its fans, and acknowledging that it is a massive struggle to compete with the excitement of the GAA and EPL.

stovelid wrote: »
    As sad as the post makes me, it's refreshing to hear somebody not placing the entire blame for low attendance at the feet of the LOI 'standard' or the attitude of its fans, and acknowledging that it is a massive struggle to compete with the excitement of the GAA and EPL.

Yeah, that's why I was compelled to post all that tbh. I know there are quite a few anti-GAAs but there can be no denying what sort of influence it has on the country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement