Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cooling system

Options
  • 22-12-2008 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I have a 96 jap gsr 1.8 turbo I want to flush out the cooling system and would like to know how to do it and was looking for the oil filter and cant semm to find it anyone know where it is?? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Hi, my wife has same car, the radiator has a drain plug on the bottom left of it, if you stand at the front of the car with the bonnet open and look at the bottom left of the rad you will see a " wingnut ", unscrew this until water comes flowing out, flush through with water, tighten and refill with correct coolant/mixture, its not easy to get it ALL out. The oil filter is under the car, near the exhaust downpipe, lie under the front of the car at the drivers side, you will see a small round oil filter, the normal lancer 1.5 filter fits, these cars like a good quality 15w-50 oil from somewhere like http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ or the tappets/lifters will be noisey when cold.

Here is a decent website for that car http://www.4g93t.net/.

Hope that helps.

BTW are you having issues with your water and oil or are just doing routine maintenance? As turbo cars blow headgaskets easily when too much boost is run when not done properly like a quality remap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 LGSR96

thanks that helped alot i flushed out the cooling system and changed the oil no bother. im not sure what is wrong with the car it seems to be usin lots of coolant i usually top it up between 8-12 days is this normal or am i in serious trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

LGSR96 wrote: »
    thanks that helped alot i flushed out the cooling system and changed the oil no bother. im not sure what is wrong with the car it seems to be usin lots of coolant i usually top it up between 8-12 days is this normal or am i in serious trouble

Coolant should not disappear. Look for leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well, if there is no leak, it means you can have a problems with head gasket.

Check smoke from pipe, it you get alot of white smoke, it means its burning water/cooling liquid m8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Just check the oil cap, if it is a gunky whitey colour chances are your head gasket is gone. If so , don't drive it, you will only do more damage.

Is she having an over heating problem? Also make sure the cooling system is bleed free of air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

msg11 wrote: »
    Just check the oil cap, if it is a gunky whitey colour chances are your head gasket is gone. If so , don't drive it, you will only do more damage.

Is she having an over heating problem? Also make sure the cooling system is bleed free of air.

Although this is a symtom of headgasket failure, a headgasket can fail on different parts of the seals, I.E. you will only get mayo on the oil cap if the gasket has failed between the waterway and an oilway allowing oil and water to mix, as you are not having oil issues it MAY have went between the combustion chamber and the water cooling system therefore charging up the coolant system and forcing the water out or burning it, this will not give mayo style oil, it can be tested by doing a pressure test on the cooling system or compression test on the cylinders or using an emissions " sniffer " to see if there is exhaust gases in your cooling system...you can also top up the water to the max on your expansion bottle, with the bonnet open leave the car to heat up and see if you are getting bubbles in your expansion tank, or take off the rad cap when the car is cold, start the car up and watch for bubbles coming out of the filler neck on the rad, this is assuming that the cooling system has been bled properly

I think you would be better getting a reputable mechanic to look at it for you and give you a diagnosis.

Is the only symtoms you have losing water? Is it overheating? Is the oil contaminated? Is your cabin heater hot and cold when on hot?

P.S. if it is overheating or has mayo oil don't drive the car too far as this will do lots more damage.

HTH..If I can help anymore feel free to ask away.

Advertisement