Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking fine?

Options
  • 22-12-2008 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Quick one:

Yesterday morning I parked on MacCurtain St, just up (Bridge St side) from the Everyman Palace. I had already gone around the block twice looking for a space with no luck. From what I can gather, it may be a no/resricted parking area - not 100% sure. I didn't have a parking disc displayed either. Anyway, ran back to the shop I was going to and was back within 5 mins. Upon my return there was a guy there in a high-vis jacket and hard hat taking shots of the car with a digital camera. There was a flatbed lorry on the street behind the car with a driver in it - looked like a truck for lifting cars. I got to my car, nervously said "How're ya!" to the guy who then said "Is this your car?" I replied that it was and he moved on to the car that was in front of me. I got into mine and drove away. As I did, he was taking photos of that car.

So, my question is, am I likely to get a parking fine out of this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

if it was a normal car parking space no . You only need a disc Monday to Saturday.
    Going by your description of the guy id say he was with the tow crowd. they take pics of your car to prove that you were parked illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

No you shouldnt get any fine, i got a fine once for parking on a street while actually going to buy discs, Luckly i got a receipt for the disks and showed this to the guy in the office when i was appealing it and they let me off, the receipt had a time 3mins earlier than the ticket!:D

anyways those guys only have a picture of your car, and its more than likely that picture isnt detailed enough to show a parking disk are not... If you do get a fine it will be so easy to challenge it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

You did the right thing by sitting into the car - they can't tow it if you're inside it for health and safety reasons. I doubt if you'll get a fine in the post. They make their money from impound release fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Hogzy wrote: »
    ..anyways those guys only have a picture of your car, and its more than likely that picture isnt detailed enough to show a parking disk are not... If you do get a fine it will be so easy to challenge it!!!

What surprised me was the photos he was taking - it wasn't just one shot to take in all the car, he seemed to be taking a number of shots so that he could get the car from all angles (he was shooting the back right hand side wheel when I arrived!)

Johncm, it happened on Saturday morning around midday, so technically I did need a disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

They do all the picture-taking to prevent claims being made for vehicle damage that had already happened before they towed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Malari wrote: »
    They do all the picture-taking to prevent claims being made for vehicle damage that had already happened before they towed.

That would explain why he was photographing the wheel areas!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yeah you'll be ok.
    They've been known for waiting around to get cars to lift.
    Chnaces are you were in a restricted parking area and as has been said above they cant move the car if ur in it, they do not have the power to give tickets like a normal traffic warden.
    So once you got in they had no chance of getting ya, and as above they take numerous pics to prevent false claims of damage as they pick up the car.
    They've not been known for being too gentle when lifting cars onto the truck and people were copping onto this in an effort to recoup clamping/storage costs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

That's not to say you did get a ticket, well they don't put it on the car any more, they wait until you have forgotten where you were or thrown away your parking disc then send it out in the post so you will be less able to challenge it. How this hasn't been ruled illegal is amazing. BTW you will not have gotten a ticket from the car stealers as they have absolutely no power.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Often pick up the gf on the quay down from the old Cork multi channel building, had the lifters pull in behind me numerous times, they flash me and wait for me to move - usually pull out and go round again. Would I be able to stay put in the car if they cant issue tickets or lift me....if I was in it, say on the phone????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Often pick up the gf on the quay down from the old Cork multi channel building, had the lifters pull in behind me numerous times, they flash me and wait for me to move - usually pull out and go round again. Would I be able to stay put in the car if they cant issue tickets or lift me....if I was in it, say on the phone????

Can't touch you if you are in the car, tell them go F themselves.... :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

as munster cycling says they cant do a thing if your in the car. If they came up behind me and flashed i wouldn't be long in telling them where to go and in a language they can understand.

Advertisement