Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your most Controversial Soccer opinions

• 22-12-2008 12:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

What are your most controversial soccer opinions?

opinions that you would not normal share even on boards as they are too hard to defend.

Do you think that Aston Villa could win the league,

would soccer be a better sport without Black footballers etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The Eircom League should be disbanded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I'm not that hot on Shearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

And it will be man like Eircom have gone, get with the program! sheesh you ****ing barstoolers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I focking hate liverpool.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

going to assume they werent actually questions just an example of being controversial cos of course Villa could win the league ;)

dunno how controversial it is but i think Ireland will make the next world cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Gerrard isn't that great a player and doesn't deserve to be Liverpool captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Celtic and Rangers to play in Premier League...english:eek:

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm not that hot on Shearer.

Not really that controversial imo. He was just one of a long line of talented, but vastly overhyped by the media, English players that has included the likes of Gazza and Beckham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Jamie Redknapp is a fantastic pundit.

PSYCHE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jose Mourinho woud be a brilliant manager for Liverpool at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Zaph wrote: »
    Not really that controversial imo. He was just one of a long line of talented, but vastly overhyped by the media, English players that has included the likes of Gazza and Beckham.

I should add, I'm a Newcastle fan.

Regarding Gazza, that bloke could never be overated, a pure artist with a football. Tragic that he has become the man he is today, and never really honed his skills at the very top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Anderson is the most overrated player....ever! 3rd rate waste of space and will be playing in PL mid-tablers or mainland UEFA cup filler teams within 5 years.

Nani is the most underrated player in the PL and will be in the world class category within 4 years.

Arsene Wenger is the most underachieving yet highly rated manager in the EPL. Time for the door.

Fabio Capellos ego will ruin Englands chances at the very last. Im thinking a major personal falling out like Van Basten had several times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

SantryRed wrote: »
    The Eircom League should be disbanded.

that would mean ireland had no national football team

but im sure you knew that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I think Ronaldo is the best player of all-time.;)

never really honed his skills at the very top.

kinda makes him overrated doesnt it

villa will be ahead of liverpool in the league by the end of villas second match in february

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I think Ferguson got very lucky in the early 90's to have such a crop of players come through at once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

i dont really care if ireland qualify for the euro's or world cups,the tournament is always better without crap teams like us bringing the craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Helix wrote: »
    villa will be ahead of liverpool in the league by the end of villas second match in february

Quoted for reappraisal in February.

international football is pointless, and rubbish

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Quoted for re-appriasal in February.

stick it in your sig for safekeeping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

- Introduction of a UEFA wide Salary Cap system;
    - Complete revision of the rules regarding acquisition of players under 18. By this I mean make it difficult (or downright impossible) for UK academies to take loads of young Irish lads over or for Arsenal to continue with the Wenger youth policy;
    - Celtic and Rangers given the option of joining league two and working their way up;
    - A significant increase in the practical punishments clubs recieve for incidents of bad behavior from fans / racist chants etc, etc (I'm thinking points deductions and stretches of games behind closed doors);
    - A requirement for top tier clubs across Europe to have a standardized and transparent interview process for vacant managerial posts and be forced to always interview at least one minority candidate as part of the process;

EDIT: Also, introduction of a maximum and minimum squad size (obv the minimum would be less important here) across UEFA sanctioned leagues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RodVelvet

Liverpool are a one man team. Without Stevie G bailing them out the whole time they wouldn't have won half the honours they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Helix wrote: »
    international football is pointless, and rubbish

wtf?

may you be stricken down with lots of ****

seriously lot of ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    - - A requirement for top tier clubs across Europe to have a standardized and transparent interview process for vacant managerial posts and be forced to always interview at least one minority candidate as part of the process;

a terrific idea that should be immediately started.Has made a big difference in most american sports,well college sports apart if the recent auburn university incident which has blown up recently is anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Darren Fletcher is one of the best players in the world and should be an automatic inclusion into the United side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I don't buy into Barca and Celtic's "cultural ties".

Mick and Roy were BOTH wrong.

Kerr should never have been sacked/released.

Staunton should have been given more time (although he should never have been given the job in the first place).

The Premiership is over-rated.

raven136 wrote: »
    a terrific idea that should be immediately started.Has made a big difference in most american sports,well college sports apart if the recent auburn university incident which has blown up recently is anything to go by.

Yeah, it has helped - but the percentage of minority candidates receiving top coaching positions is still way behind where it should be when you consider the composition of the player rosters at both the collegiate and professional level. But it has helped raise awareness and impacted on the bottom line number of minority head coaches.

Football desperately needs to address this problem. In the 16 years of the premiership, there have only been three black men appointed as managers. There is something wrong with that no matter how you look at it.

Yeah, it has helped - but the percentage of minority candidates receiving top coaching positions is still way behind where it should be when you consider the composition of the player rosters at both the collegiate and professional level. But it has helped raise awareness and impacted on the bottom line number of minority head coaches.

Football desperately needs to address this problem. In the 16 years of the premiership, there have only been three black men appointed as managers. There is something wrong with that no matter how you look at it.

Its hardly racist. I am sure if their is a top quality black manager then they are in demand ie: Rijkaard. There is probably a couple more but not that many. How many top quality black managers do you know ? Clubs aint going to hire a black guy just for the sake of it. They want quality and if the majority of them happen to be white then that cant be helped. Also the majority of the UK population is white so what do people expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Staunton should have been given more time

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Zaph wrote: »
    What about him was overhyped, that he scored more goals in the premier league by a county mile than anyone else?

Or was it that he scored that amount of goals without playing for one of the big three in the late nineties?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I want International football to be abolished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

redout wrote: »
    Its hardly racist. I am sure if their is a top quality black manager then they are in demand ie: Rijkaard. There is probably a couple more but not that many. How many top quality black managers do you know ? Clubs aint going to hire a black guy just for the sake of it. They want quality and if the majority of them happen to be white then that cant be helped. Also the majority of the UK population is white so what do people expect.

ha you just don't get it,

The argument is that black managers are not given the chance to become top quality managers, as they are not being hired.

It is is as if it is not a possible career route for retiring Black Footballers

What does the fact that the majority of the UK population is white have got to do with anything?

the fact is the number of new managers that are black does not reflect the percentage of Football players which are black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I don't actually know that much about football at all.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I personally can't wait for the day one of the Premiership teams go bust.

• Advertisement

The number of black managers as a percentage of the total amount of managers working in professional football in England <<<< the number of black players as a percentage of the total amount of players playing in professional football in England. And this is a problem that has been there for decades.

The population breakdown of the UK as a whole is an irrelevance to this point (but that you deem it relevant is part of the problem). When black players occupy key roles on the pitch during their careers and there have been many elite black players in English football over the past twenty years, there is no logical reason for their numbers fall off so drastically in terms of occupancy in managerial and senior coaching roles. What comes first, the chicken or the egg? How can you have many top black coaches when they don't receive the same opportunities that former white players do upon attempting to pursue it as a profession?

Discrimination in the general workplace didn't go away without a proactive effort to curb it and punish those who engaged in it. A similar effort has never been undertaken in most sports and is sorely required now.

ha you just don't get it,

The argument is that black managers are not given the chance to become top quality managers, as they are not being hired.

It is is as if it is not a possible career route for retiring Black Footballers

What does the fact that the majority of the UK population is white have got to do with anything?

the fact is the number of new managers that are black does not reflect the percentage of Football players which are black.

I believe the best man should get the job. Why is it your saying black managers of quality are being discriminated against. Do you have proof of this ? Why is just them and not black players ? There is plenty of top young black players that are regularly snapped up the clubs.

I dont get what your saying. Surely if a guy is good enough and the best candidate then he will get hired for the job regardless of race. The fact the majority of the UK population is white has a huge deal to play with it. Do you think there should be more black managers than white ? Demographics says no my friend, It is the same for every other job in that country. So I dont inderstand your reasoning behind that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

gotta disagree with the tone of this. I agree with the subject of it, i think minorities should be considered equally etc etc, but..

... how many chinese managers are there? how many chinese players were there?
    ... in the last 50 years, how many black players have there been? less than white. its only logical that there's only been 3...

there will be more, but at some point there the following statements must be true...
    "there has only ever been one black manager..."
    "there has only ever been two black managers..."
    "there has only ever been three black managers..."
    "there has only ever been four black managers..."
    "there has only ever been five black managers..."
    "there has only ever been six black managers..."

at the moment we are at three... there will be four, and then five... and then six... have to get past 3 to get to 4...

the tone with which you've said it is like me saying

"The USA has only ever had one black president ever... i think this should be addressed immediately..."

as for my own controversial opinions:

1. i think united are the number 1 reason for the bastardisation of modern football, their decision to opt out of the FA cup years ago destroyed the romance of cups. the notion that the fa cup or the league cup are meaningless were never expressed prior to 2000... and any football fan who expresses an opinion along the lines of "X cup is meaningless" is a lesser football fan that i and that ALL their footballing opinions should be taken with a pinch of salt.

2. "irish celtic fans" are... funny...

if i think of more i'll post more

Its not all that surprising that you have not seen a successful black manager in the Premier league. Considering that only 5% of the British population is black and that most of them reside in England and less than 50% of the club managers in said league are English. So you should only see one black manager for every 20 English managers that are hired in the league and to find a successful one would be hard given that over the last couple of years no Englishman has managed to guide a club into the Champions League which I presume is the minimum required to be considered successful.

I believe the best man should get the job. Why is it your saying black managers of quality are being discriminated against. Do you have proof of this ? Why is just them and not black players ? There is plenty of top young black players that are regularly snapped up the clubs.

I dont get what your saying. Surely if a guy is good enough and the best candidate then he will get hired for the job regardless of race. The fact the majority of the UK population is white has a huge deal to play with it. Do you think there should be more black managers than white ? Demographics says no my friend, It is the same for every other job in that country. So I dont inderstand your reasoning behind that.

This is really why I don't bother bringing up the subject. Your average football fan fails at at basic logic.

The demographics of the professional football industry contrasts sharply with the demographics of the country as a whole. Simply put, the ratio of white : black in terms of professional football players is much closer than the ratio of white : black in terms of citizens of the UK. And then again, the ratio of white : black in terms of professional football managers falls more heavily towards the former than the ratio of white : black in terms of citizens of the UK.

That being the case is a deeper issue than football is willing to face up to and admit. And it most definitely goes beyond a simple view of "best man gets the job - black managers obviously aren't the best men for the jobs".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Boggles wrote: »
    :eek:
    It was a transitional period, it was his first job, the FAI jabbered on about a "four-year plan", the players weren't that good, Irish expectations are ridiculous (these have continued under Trap), he was made a scapegoat for the FAI.

I could go on and on why I feel he should have been given more time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Celtic are a pain in the ****ing arse.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Regarding foreign club football, with such thrilling encounters as Man U vs Derby or Liverpool vs Sunderland of old, as being more important than international groups with one dud team, one poor one and four of variable quality contenders, with so much riding on each match, is having a laugh tbh. Not to mention the potential for upsets in international tournaments, compared to the near certainty that a big 4 will win the EPL.

On a similiar note, anyone who thinks the EPL is more thrilling than the CL needs their head checked.

Do you think there should be more black managers than white ? Demographics says no my friend, It is the same for every other job in that country. So I dont inderstand your reasoning behind that

re the % of black footballers vs % of managers, alot of you seem to forget many of the most successful managers had short lived, not particularly great playing careers. As Stan, Ince and arguably Keane taught us, good players dont always make for great managers. And as said, how many non English managers does the PL have? Benitez, Fergie, Sbragia, Kinnear (born here :)), Moyes, Hughes, Scolari, Wenger, O`Neill, maybe another one or two I overlooked. Combine with that a large amount of the EPL black players are African or French, not English, and it starts to dilute the stats a bit.

This is really why I don't bother bringing up the subject. Your average football fan fails at at basic logic.

The demographics of the professional football industry contrasts sharply with the demographics of the country as a whole. Simply put, the ratio of white : black in terms of professional football players is much closer than the ratio of white : black in terms of citizens of the UK. And then again, the ratio of white : black in terms of professional football managers falls more heavily towards the former than the ratio of white : black in terms of citizens of the UK.

That being the case is a deeper issue than football is willing to face up to and admit. And it most definitely goes beyond a simple view of "best man gets the job - black managers obviously aren't the best men for the jobs".

Bollox brother. Show me the proof, actual proof and not theres only been 3. Then I might take what you have to say seriously. How many top class black managers can you name for me in Spain, Italy, Germany ? I cant think of many. So you reckon there is a europe wide conspiracy not to hire black managers ? Can you name me some succesful black managers bar Rijkaard ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

why arent there more black ceo's?
    why arent there more black chairmen?
    why arent there more black tennis players?
    why arent there more black formula one champions?

if you ignore a general census stat such as population composition as at least a factor, you are very misguided. you cant dismiss population compostion as an issue... if you can...

HOW DARE TRINIDAD AND TABAGO ONLY BRING ONE WHITE PLAYER TO THE LAST WORLD CUP!!!! RACISTS THE LOT OF THEM!!!

Where are you getting those stats from Lloyd?

Firstly Quality was your word.

I also believe the best man should get the job, but as I don't believe there to be a reason for black managers to be worse managers than white managers, I believe that the best men are not getting the jobs.

I don't have proof of this, I am just saying that it is statistically significant and as such if my assumption that they have equal potential to be good managers then they are being discriminated against.

I don't understand what you are trying to say in the last two lines of that paragraph.

I clearly don't think there should be as much black managers as white.
    just the same relative proportion.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Its not all that surprising that you have not seen a successful black manager in the Premier league. Considering that only 5% of the British population is black and that most of them reside in England and less than 50% of the club managers in said league are English. So you should only see one black manager for every 20 English managers that are hired in the league and to find a successful one would be hard given that over the last couple of years no Englishman has managed to guide a club into the Champions League which I presume is the minimum required to be considered successful.

You make a good point if and only if you include the word british in your first sentence before the word black.

I don't see the need to make your argument in terms of british managers however.

ditpoker wrote: »
    gotta disagree with the tone of this. I agree with the subject of it, i think minorities should be considered equally etc etc, but..

... how many chinese managers are there? how many chinese players were there?
    ... in the last 50 years, how many black players have there been? less than white. its only logical that there's only been 3...

there will be more, but at some point there the following statements must be true...
    "there has only ever been one black manager..."
    "there has only ever been two black managers..."
    "there has only ever been three black managers..."
    "there has only ever been four black managers..."
    "there has only ever been five black managers..."
    "there has only ever been six black managers..."

at the moment we are at three... there will be four, and then five... and then six... have to get past 3 to get to 4...

the tone with which you've said it is like me saying

"The USA has only ever had one black president ever... i think this should be addressed immediately..."

lol, you are so stupid sometimes.

Think about why it is was so significant that Obama won the election. Now think about why it would have been 100% impossible for it to happen 40 years ago. The type of argument you are making now is eerily similar to the type of arguments that underpinned Jim Crow in the American South up until the Civil Rights Act got motoring in the sixties. "Our gang is bigger than your gang".

The problem with racial discrimination in the US in decades past; or sectarian discrimination and gerrymandering in the North up until the early seventies was that the percentage of representatives minorities had in political office or positions of influence was negatively disproportionate to the percentage they formed of the overall population. That didn't change until something was done about it.

The point is not that there are less black managers - logically there should be less. It's that there are much less of them then there should be when you consider the percentage they make up of the playing base as a whole.

Over the past two or three decades, other minorties have amounted to an infestimal percentage of the entire playing base - so it follows that it is less of an issue (and less surprising) that we don't have any Asian coaches in English professional football.

ditpoker wrote: »
    why arent there more black ceo's?
    why arent there more black chairmen?
    why arent there more black tennis players?
    why arent there more black formula one champions?

if you ignore a general census stat such as population composition as at least a factor, you are very misguided. you cant dismiss population compostion as an issue... if you can...

HOW DARE TRINIDAD AND TABAGO ONLY BRING ONE WHITE PLAYER TO THE LAST WORLD CUP!!!! RACISTS THE LOT OF THEM!!!

is it not more relevant to take the demographics of the sample size in question rather than the population as a whole?

for example with your trinidad analogy
    I would not consider the percentage of people in trinidad that are black

I would consider the percentage of male footballers aged 15-45 that are black, and entitled to play for the national team.

this is what I have done,
    I assume you just pulled one sentence out of one of my posts and did not actualy understand what i was trying to say but preferred to make some sensationalist tabloid style post.

Bollox brother. Show me the proof, actual proof and not theres only been 3. Then I might take what you have to say seriously. How many top class black managers can you name for me in Spain, Italy, Germany ? I cant think of many. So you reckon there is a europe wide conspiracy not to hire black managers ? Can you name me some succesful black managers bar Rijkaard ?

Three black premiership managers:

Ruud Gullit
    Jean Tigana
    Paul Ince

Now think of all the premiership managerial appointments made over 16 years and the percentage of total hires that amounts to. Now think about the percentage of premiership appearances in 16 years that have been made by black players.

And tell me there isn't an illogical disparity there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement