Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your most Controversial Soccer opinions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Controversial opinion - LOI fans try too hard to be noticed. They try to hard to make our league seem like it is a big deal. All these "displays" witht he big flags and everything are a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Diddler82 wrote: »

Scottish League is almost as bad as the Irish League

To be fair it's a sight better , but then again the resources in the North are a lot less than in Scotland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

99% of all posts on soccer forums are complete and utter rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I read most weeks about the diving antics of Drogba, Ronaldo, Eboue etc. who are all mercilessly slaughtered by the press and slagged by opposing fans but the biggest diver I've ever seen is Stephen Gerrard. Who remembers the 2005 CL final? (Gattuso didn't touch him) Athletico this season etc etc etc etc. He's England and Liverpools golden boy therefore he gets away with it.
    I bet he does a lot of Star Jumps in Training as thats the shape his body makes as he goes to ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

iregk wrote: »
    99% of all posts on soccer forums are complete and utter rubbish!

That's not an opinion.

That's a scientifcally proven fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Anybody who raises their hands skyward when going down, even if it is a foul, straight yellow card.

I've fallen down many times in my life, through tripping, being fouled etc, and never once has my reaction been to throw my hands in the air.
    You put your hands down to protect your face from slapping off the ground!

Every single player who raises their hands, is trying to get a foul/penalty/yellow card/red card and should be penalised.

Like I said, if it's a foul, it'll speak for itself, we don't need a one man Mexican wave show!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

hehe, Karmafaerie, they're just spoiled brats, most of them. They expect everything to go their way. I'm surprised many of them still don't suck their thumbs and wear nappies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Karmafaerie, Re: Liverpool Undermining the Champions League.

Up untill this season Liverpool havnt even looked like challenging for a league title at this stage of the season, 4th place has been just about managed on a number of occasions.
    But put them into the Champions league and they are a completely different team.

I'm not saying that they are doing anything wrong, if they want to make the tournament a priority then so be it, but for me seeing a team come in 3rd, 4th and 5th in their own league every year, they shouldnt even be gaining access to the competittion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

That reminds me: The Champions League should be JUST for the champions of each league, and there should be no preliminary rounds, or second chances (i.e. - direct routes into the UEFA Cup) for teams who fail to progress to the latter stages of the competition. That's just unfair to the UEFA cup teams.

It's CLEARLY structured this way for monetary purposes; and I find that the way the UEFA cup is structured is a complete joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Kevster wrote: »
    hehe, Karmafaerie, they're just spoiled brats, most of them. They expect everything to go their way. I'm surprised many of them still don't suck their thumbs and wear nappies.

they do! http://fredeeky.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834515c8969e200e5537c777c8833-800wi and http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200604/r83219_242515.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Because Scolari has decided to play 4-4-2 tonight for the first time in half a decade,

Chelsea will win all around them this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Eirebear wrote: »

Up untill this season Liverpool havnt even looked like challenging for a league title at this stage of the season, 4th place has been just about managed on a number of occasions.
    But put them into the Champions league and they are a completely different team.

I'm not saying that they are doing anything wrong, if they want to make the tournament a priority then so be it, but for me seeing a team come in 3rd, 4th and 5th in their own league every year, they shouldnt even be gaining access to the competittion.

Loads of clubs throughout Europe do this, little harsh to pick on Liverpool for it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I'd rather see people dive than the vicious tackles of the past.

I know diving's evil and all that, but players will always cheat as much as they can get away with. In fact, I'd doubt their loyalty to the cause if they didn't. The problem's not them, it's the refereeing. Until diving's tackled by the refs it'll exist, and I'll never trust a player who doesn't dive when the moment's right. You're only loyalty is to your team, and winning them games.

But second is okay I'm guessing, cause that's how Rangers have been getting in for the same peroid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Sky Television bought Man united the league back in 1993.

Biggest supported club in England = Most fans = More boxes sold = More income for Sky TV.

Simple really.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Loads of clubs throughout Europe do this, little harsh to pick on Liverpool for it tbh.
    Meh! I know its harsh, thats why i put it in the "controversial thread" :D
    But second is okay I'm guessing, cause that's how Rangers have been getting in for the same peroid.

Not particularly no, i dont agree with the non-champions in the champions league carry on.

The difference being, that Rangers have made some sort of visible attempt to wi the league, and have done in the said period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think diving is greatly entertaining and am all for it

Zidane was an average big game player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

Des wrote: »
    It's, in a general sense, shít.

Yes, there are certain teams who play nice football.

But it's not as nice as top level club football.

sure, why not do away with amateur leagues too... and LoI, since its, in a general sense, sh1t... yes there are certain teams who play nice football, but its not as nice as top level club football.... :rolleyes:

Not particularly no, i dont agree with the non-champions in the champions league carry on.

The difference being, that Rangers have made some sort of visible attempt to wi the league, and have done in the said period.

No, the big difference my friend, is that the English league has more than two teams capable of winning the title.

2005-06 was the first time since 1995 that a team outside the Old Firm finished in the top two.
    A non Old Firm team hasn't won the league since 1985.

During that period, there have been 8 different winners in the 1st Division/Premier League, with 10 sharing the top two spots.

You can't compare the situation in Scotland with England.

The Champions League nowadays is for the best teams in Europe.
    The name should be changed IMO, but the idea that Liverpool, or anyone else are degrading it, by their success or very presense, is laughable.

• Advertisement

Diddler82 wrote: »
    League Cup and FA Cup in England should be abolished....they are absolute sh*te and get in the way of the League.
    ditpoker wrote: »
    1. i think united are the number 1 reason for the bastardisation of modern football, their decision to opt out of the FA cup years ago destroyed the romance of cups. the notion that the fa cup or the league cup are meaningless were never expressed prior to 2000... and any football fan who expresses an opinion along the lines of "X cup is meaningless" is a lesser football fan that i and that ALL their footballing opinions should be taken with a pinch of salt.

:rolleyes:

Tell any Liverpool fan this year that the FA Cup is meaningless!

No, the big difference my friend, is that the English league has more than two teams capable of winning the title.

2005-06 was the first time since 1995 that a team outside the Old Firm finished in the top two.
    A non Old Firm team hasn't won the league since 1985.

During that period, there have been 8 different winners in the 1st Division/Premier League, with 10 sharing the top two spots.

You can't compare the situation in Scotland with England.

The Champions League nowadays is for the best teams in Europe.
    The name should be changed IMO, but the idea that Liverpool, or anyone else are degrading it, by their success or very presense, is laughable.

Jeez dude, get off yer high horse for a moment and look at the thread title! :D

And anyway, i dont honestly think that in the last number of years Liverpool have actually given their all in the league, and for me that undermines the CL.

Yes its irrational, yes its completely unfounded, but thats why its a controversial opinion.

So to quote those famous scousers, "Calm Down!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

David Hirst is the greatest all round striker England has ever produced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

no cos there is a difference between contreversial and just plain dumb!! guess which your comment was..to say that liverpool undermine the comp is a load of BS. it is UEFA that are undermining it by the structures they have in place..what do you want liverpool to do?? boycott the comp to keep its integrity?? undermining has nothing to do with liverpool...

Jeez dude, get off yer high horse for a moment and look at the thread title! :D

And anyway, i dont honestly think that in the last number of years Liverpool have actually given their all in the league, and for me that undermines the CL.

Yes its irrational, yes its completely unfounded, but thats why its a controversial opinion.

So to quote those famous scousers, "Calm Down!"

I'm not offended man, just confused at the duality more than anything.
    The "Champions" League is a bad name, because it's not for champions.

But to say that Liverpool are degrading it simply because they're not good enough to win the title is a bit rich.

Are Portsmouth degrading the FA Cup, by not challenging for the title last year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Sepp Blatter is a cnut.

liverpool should be the type of team in the UEFA cup, the cup for non-champions.... they and all other non champions ARE degrading the champions league. much like chelsea and arsenal and juventus etc etc are degrading it this year, and barcelona.

its not THEIR fault, they should obviously try and win it, fair play to them. if uefa/fifa give them a route into a hugely lucrative cup, they'd be mad to pass it up.

For example, if you take say the Leinster Senior League, or United Churches League in dublin, and a new team gets formed and gets put into division 3b, the lowest league, and win 8-0 every week at a canter, its not THEIR fault, they can only beat who they are allowed beat in the competition their put in, but it does degrade the division 3b league for all the other teams there....

ditpoker wrote: »
    liverpool should be the type of team in the UEFA cup, the cup for non-champions.... they and all other non champions ARE degrading the champions league. much like chelsea and arsenal and juventus etc etc are degrading it this year, and barcelona.

its not THEIR fault, they should obviously try and win it, fair play to them. if uefa/fifa give them a route into a hugely lucrative cup, they'd be mad to pass it up.

For example, if you take say the Leinster Senior League, or United Churches League in dublin, and a new team gets formed and gets put into division 3b, the lowest league, and win 8-0 every week at a canter, its not THEIR fault, they can only beat who they are allowed beat in the competition their put in, but it does degrade the division 3b league for all the other teams there....

There was a European Cup that was for Champions, and it wasn't as big as an attraction.
    It was also a hell of a lot easier to win.
    The Champions League formula is a lot better, it just needs to have a new name, so as to stop this association with Champions.

mormank wrote: »
    no cos there is a difference between contreversial and just plain dumb!! guess which your comment was..to say that liverpool undermine the comp is a load of BS. it is UEFA that are undermining it by the structures they have in place..what do you want liverpool to do?? boycott the comp to keep its integrity?? undermining has nothing to do with liverpool...
    I'm not offended man, just confused at the duality more than anything.
    The "Champions" League is a bad name, because it's not for champions.

But to say that Liverpool are degrading it simply because they're not good enough to win the title is a bit rich.

Are Portsmouth degrading the FA Cup, by not challenging for the title last year?

Guys if you read my original reply to Karmafaerie, you will see that i have stated that its not that liverpool are doing anything wrong per say, its just that the idea of them finishing 3rd 4th and 5th in the league takes the gloss off it for me.
    Something tells me i wouldnt have got this reaction if i had said Milan rather than Liverpool.

Personally id rather see the Champions league being just for Champions, personally i feel it will not only spread the wealth a little more fairly between nations but also help improve football in more struggling nations due to this.

Something tells me i wouldnt have got this reaction if i had said Milan rather than Liverpool.

If you'd have said Milan you'd have confused me even more, seeing as Inter are Italian champs for three years running, and AC aren't in the competition!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Messi dives and cheats just as much as Ronaldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

There was a European Cup that was for Champions, and it wasn't as big as an attraction..

Define attraction? the EC was certainly the premiere club football tournament in the 1970s and 1980s, and that was without the financial rewards on offer like now.
    It was also a hell of a lot easier to win..

having a 6 game group stage and seeded qualifiers before that means the CL is a lot easier to win. If you're a wealthy team that is.
    The Champions League formula is a lot better, it just needs to have a new name, so as to stop this association with Champions.

I dont think the CL is a lot better then the old format, just necessary, if the old EC format had been retained by UEFA the wealthy clubs in Europe would have done a premiership on it a long time ago.

If you'd have said Milan you'd have confused me even more, seeing as Inter are Italian champs for three years running, and AC aren't in the competition!;)

AC have won the CL twice after not winning Serie A i believe.

I could be wrong though.

I've said it a few times already.
    People have to get this idea that the Champions League is for Champions, out of their heads.

It's not.

You may want it to be, but it's not.

maybe if you said milan you wouldnt have gotten a reaction but whatever, im tired of the constant pool bashing on this site and then when you defend you are called one of those sensitive pool fans..its pathetic. boggles does it all the time..

my controversial opinion was not related to soccer but the people that post on this forum so i deleted it...as the thread is meant to be about soccer

I've said it a few times already.
    People have to get this idea that the Champions League is for Champions, out of their heads.

It's not.

You may want it to be, but it's not.

Its not....but it should be! :p

maybe if you said milan you wouldnt have gotten a reaction but whatever, im tired of the constant pool bashing on this site and then when you defend you are called one of those sensitive pool fans..its pathetic. boggles does it all the time..

my controversial opinion then is that i will bet if i ever met any of the posters on here in person who contantly rise people i would find that they are the biggest losers ever and still live with their mums!! you know who you are

I cant say i partake in this constant 'pool bashing you speak of, to be honest i dont particulrly care enough about them to comment on them all that often.

As for the last part of your post, thats every bit as childish as the people you are having a go at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Adrian Mutu is one of the top 10 players in the world

Well, we're all entitled to our own oppinions.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

But why should it? Maybe because of its name, but it would be on a par with the Club World Cup if it was just the Champions from each league, ie a shíte friendly competition (worth winning obviously, but not as good as it could be).

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »
    I think Ferguson got very lucky in the early 90's to have such a crop of players come through at once

Fergie has been United manager since 86. that crop came through 9 years later. He oversaw the youth team in those days. They didn't fall into his lap by chance. He assembled those players. He was lucky that he managed to find a nucleus of so many good young players in the same age bracket but it was he who opened the door for them to be there in the first place.

jasonorr wrote: »
    But why should it? Maybe because of its name, but it would be on a par with the Club World Cup if it was just the Champions from each league, ie a shíte friendly competition (worth winning obviously, but not as good as it could be).

I dont think it was a ****e friendly competittion prior to the "Champions League" format, in fact i reckon it was still a highly coveted tournament which teams took extremely seriously....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I dont think it was a ****e friendly competittion prior to the "Champions League" format, in fact i reckon it was still a highly coveted tournament which teams took extremely seriously....

A competition which Liverpool fans constantly remind us they won 4 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Cristaino Ronaldo is a diving little sh!t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

But it could have been better, why have the winners from each country when there are clearly better teams out there!

I cant say i partake in this constant 'pool bashing you speak of, to be honest i dont particulrly care enough about them to comment on them all that often.

As for the last part of your post, thats every bit as childish as the people you are having a go at.

childish perhaps, but ill bet true noetheless...my point being that they are not worth even thinkin about, they are just stirring cos they have nothing better to do with their lives...

childish perhaps, but ill bet true noetheless...my point being that they are not worth even thinkin about, they are just stirring cos they have nothing better to do with their lives...

but yet "they" still wind you up enough for you to comment on.....

Des wrote: »
    A competition which Liverpool fans constantly remind us they won 4 times.

lol. very clever. i see what you did there. ill not bite tho

but yet "they" still wind you up enough for you to comment on.....

yup

• Advertisement

Can all the talk of Champions League be moved to a seperate thread?
    It's taking over the original thread, which is a good idea, and was going along nicely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement