Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your most Controversial Soccer opinions

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

some of the opinons on here are not controversial but utterly insane :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I f**kin hate John Terry
    He is an arrogant w@nker who gets away with so many dirty tackles cos he is captain England

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Fat Lamps isn't Fat!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

ditpoker wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

I knew that was coming .... :)

To be honest, I just dont like the cups. Maybe if Liverpool win the League I can finally be happy, until then I will just view them as an unwanted distraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Do you think that Aston Villa could win the league

Yes, but probably not this season. MON & Lerner are building long term, who knows where they will take the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Can all the talk of Champions League be moved to a seperate thread?
    It's taking over the original thread, which is a good idea, and was going along nicely.

You started it! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Eirebear wrote: »
    You started it! :p

Hey, I escalated it, there's a difference.
    Now I want to take it out behind the woodshed, and put it out of it's misery!:p

rossie1977 wrote: »
    some of the opinons on here are not controversial but utterly insane :eek:

spiderdan wrote: »
    Fat Lamps isn't Fat!! :eek:

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Hey, I escalated it, there's a difference.
    Now I want to take it out behind the woodshed, and put it out of it's misery!:p

Nah your right.....european football is over rated anyway! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Another one of my opinions

It's easy to slag off refs when you are a biased idiot in the corwd, or watching the incident about 10 times in slow motion via high definition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Unearthly wrote: »
    Another one of my opinions

It's easy to slag off refs when you are a biased idiot in the corwd, or watching the incident about 10 times in slow motion via high definition

ooohh contraversial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

If the Champions league was only for champions then you would eventually see a big improvement in Liverpools domestic campaign as they and others would strive harder to qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The European Cup was really pretty gank back in the 70s and 80s.

Many of us who are 35+ look back on it fondly because of the record of English teams from 1976 - 1985... However this success shouldn't hide the fact that teams who wouldn't have been in the top 100 in Europe frequently reached the quarter/semi/final. In hindsight winning the competition was not really that big an achievement.

The people who look for one team per country would never look for the same in other sports - They wouldn't want a max of only one English player in the current World Darts so that say the Faroe Islands Darts champion can take part. Nor would they suggest clubs from rugby playing nations like Romania, Georgia and Portugal should be in the Heineken Cup instead of 2 of Irelands 3 representatives.

In summation people who want one team per country in the CL are displaying a frightening lack of sense.

redout wrote: »
    If the Champions league was only for champions then you would eventually see a big improvement in Liverpools domestic campaign as they and others would strive harder to qualify.

Yeah, because at the moment, we really don't care about the premiership!:rolleyes:

Yeah, because at the moment, we really don't care about the premiership!:rolleyes:

Going on the last 18 years evidently not.

Going on the last 18 years evidently not.

Yes.

We haven't won, because we didn't want to.
    How amazing an observation.
    Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

People who 'diss' international football in favour of club football really are clueless about how the finances of the game works on a global scale.

Whatever small money is to be made by African football depends hugely on their bi-annual CAF tournament. This competition, and their friendlies against European and South American teams provide the only big source of revenue for the game on large parts of the continent. It leads to organised leagues/football gear/training facilities for young people.

The same applies to the poorer countries of South America as well.

Scrap the international game, and you scupper the chances of the next generations of Drogbas/Toures/Eto'o's from coming through. Hence your beloved club football will inevitably be a lesser product.

Two great posts in a row AJ.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Joey barton is just midunderstood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

ooohh contraversial.

You think that's bad........, you should of seen the time I posted that I felt Liverpool wouldn't win the league :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Controversial opinion number 1: the way clubs are run needs to be completely overhauled to make football more equitable, give smaller teams a chance and stop the same teams dominating year in year out.

We need to look more to how American football works. its difficult for a team to dominate for a prolonged period of time and any year any team can be successful.

first thing is there needs to be a salary cap
    secondly income from tickets and merchandise needs to be split between the club, the players and a general pool that is distributed evenly amongst all teams so if United sell a Tevez Jersey 20% goes to the club, 5% to the player and 75% to a pool to be distributed amongst all teams. same with fee's from CL, cup wins and tv rights.
    thirdly smaller clubs need to be given some advantage in the transfer market. In the NFL the teams with the poorer records get first pick of players. Its a different system so I am not sure how it could be incorporated to the way football clubs do business but something needs to be worked out. perhaps a team that finished lower in the league can offer more wages for the player than a club higher up:confused:

Controversial opinion number 2:
    a large proportion of LOI fans are secretly happy the league is so badly supported as it makes them feel superior to barstoolers and gives them a "kick" to be such "hardcore" fans.

Yes.

We haven't won, because we didn't want to.
    How amazing an observation.
    Well done.

You have not won because you have not been consistant enough. Not because you did not want to win. If the European cup was only for champions their would be a greater enphasis to be more consistant and come first and not settle for lower and make the champions league. I dont have a problem with Liverpool and can easily admit to them being the greatest team in British history.

Dirk Kuyt is a very good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We should be top by more than 2 points.
    People who 'diss' international football in favour of club football really are clueless about how the finances of the game works on a global scale.

Whatever small money is to be made by African football depends hugely on their bi-annual CAF tournament. This competition, and their friendlies against European and South American teams provide the only big source of revenue for the game on large parts of the continent. It leads to organised leagues/football gear/training facilities for young people.

The same applies to the poorer countries of South America as well.

Scrap the international game, and you scupper the chances of the next generations of Drogbas/Toures/Eto'o's from coming through. Hence your beloved club football will inevitably be a lesser product.

Besides, international football is just great. Love seeing people like Berbatov having to go back to relatively poorer teams and being forced to dig in for something more than finances.

noodler wrote: »
    We should be top by more than 2 points.

Besides, international football is just great. Love seeing people like Berbatov having to go back to relatively poorer teams and being forced to dig in for something more than finances.

True, how I wish C. Ronaldo was from Lichtenstein:rolleyes:

Actually forced is harsh. I mean he wouldn't be there if he didn't want to.

I just think international footie is a great leveller by and large.

You have not won because you have not been consistant enough. Not because you did not want to win. If the European cup was only for champions their would be a greater enphasis to be more consistant and come first and not settle for lower and make the champions league. I dont have a problem with Liverpool and can easily admit to them being the greatest team in British history.

We don't want to win the league in order to get into Europe.
    We want to win the league......to win the league.
    Plain and simple.

Europe is not our goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Stephen Ireland should not be allowed to play for the international team.

Liverpool fans will always find something to moan about. They take great delight in being perennial under-achievers in the domestic league.

Steven Gerrard should have left Liverpool last season.

Celtic jersey = scumbag.

Rugby > Soccer.

Celtic Jersey=Scumbag I can agree with.

• Advertisement

People who make baseless judgement calls about a stranger, due to the fact that their wearing a football jersey are idiots.

Whether it be a particular jersey, or the snobs who think that they're better than anyone in a jersey, as evidenced by the moronic thread a few weeks back.

Celtic Jersey=Scumbag I can agree with.

Why not ManU jersey=scumbag?

Not a fan of footy jerseys in general but dont see how celticis any more skangerish than ManU or Pool jerseys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

the only thing more annoying than LOI football are LOI fans

Also, International football > club football

I find Man Utd fans to be less likely to be scumbags and, dare I say it, more likely to be actual football fans.

In my experience a Celtic jersey is a fashion accessory for a certain type of individual in Dublin and rarely has anything to do with supporting a football team.

It is a generalization and I apologize to anyone who is offended, I just find it to be true for the most part in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Robbie Keane should never of been given the captains arm band for Ireland furhermore he should be dropped from the Irish team.

In my experience a Celtic jersey is a fashion accessory for a certain type of individual in Dublin and rarely has anything to do with supporting a football team.

It is a generalization and I apologize to anyone who is offended, I just find it to be true for the most part in my experience.

Yup, me too.

• Advertisement

I find Man Utd fans to be less likely to be scumbags and, dare I say it, more likely to be actual football fans.

It is a generalisation and I apologise to anyone who is offended, it is just true for the most part in my experience.

So your experience with Celtic fans, in Dublin, should be par for the course with anyone in the world, in a Celtic Jersey.

Every scumbag I've ever had a problem with has been wearing trainers.
    Does that mean that everyone in trainers is a scumbag?!

Robbie Keane should never of been given the captains arm band for Ireland furthermore he should be dropped from the Irish team.

100%. It is added pressure he does not need. I wouldn't drop him mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Babybing wrote: »
    Why not ManU jersey=scumbag?

Not a fan of footy jerseys in general but dont see how celticis any more skangerish than ManU or Pool jerseys.

When I see people wearing Celtic jerseys they are usually getting arrested...
    26celtic_arrest.gif

Whereas United jerseys just make women... better
    girl3.jpg

You decide

So your experience with Celtic fans, in Dublin, should be par for the course with anyone in the world, in a Celtic Jersey.

Every scumbag I've ever had a problem with has been wearing trainers.
    Does that mean that everyone in trainers is a scumbag?!

God if you want an in depth reasoning behind it then fine.
    Alot of the people in Ireland who are extremely anti-English, or sectarian tend to also be a certain type of people.

I am afraid alot of said people see a Celtic jersey as a way of expressing something that has nothing to do with football.

I don't believe a pair of trainers would have the same impact.

roryc wrote: »

So why did you post a picture of a girl in an England shirt:P

• Advertisement

We don't want to win the league in order to get into Europe.
    We want to win the league......to win the league.
    Plain and simple.

Europe is not our goal.

Doesnt everyone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Put it this way.

A lot of dublin scumbags wear Celtic Jersies, baseball caps at strange angles and tracksuit bottoms tucked into their socks.

It's their uniform.

God if you want an in depth reasoning behind it then fine.
    Alot of the people in Ireland who are extremely anti-English, or sectarian tend to also be a certain type of people.

I am afraid alot of said people see a Celtic jersey as a way of expressing something that has nothing to do with football.

I don't believe a pair of trainers would have the same impact.

Bingo. That Dublin Riot a few years back could easily have been pinned on the Celtic football squad given the representation they had there.
    Des wrote: »
    Put it this way.

A lot of dublin scumbags wear Celtic Jersies, baseball caps at strange angles and tracksuit bottoms tucked into their socks.

It's their uniform.

Never thought I'd be agreeing with Des but you're right. Like.

roryc wrote: »
    girl3.jpg

You decide

Well i dunno, she's wearing the England away jersey hence why it sayd "9" not "10" under the name "Rooney".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Thread come in your time is up.

If somebody would like some specific posts from this moved onto a thread which is less offensive then please PM me or another soccer mod.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement